Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Aldi Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Grodad, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Grodad

Grodad TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Qld
  2. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Oh, I'm tempted, but I should be selling stuff, not buying it. :(

The CBG is tempting though.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    HoodieMcFoodie and Grodad like this.
  3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Asmith

Asmith Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Not sure if we'll see them in the uk, although they'd need a bit of work if the finish is good on them I like the look of the tele, vintage style bridge, alder body, maple neck and I'm also liking the look of that pickguard

Grodad likes this.
  5. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Who else could say in 2016 that they bought a Tele from a grocery chain?

Grodad likes this.
  6. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    I would buy one any day of the week. The parts alone cost more than that. So even as a base to build something sweet, this would be a good way to start :) But I havent seen it in Denmark as well so thats a shame :)

Grodad likes this.
  7. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    You'll find it in the produce section, over by the lemons.

Grodad and Durberville like this.
  8. r3l4y

r3l4y NEW MEMBER!

Dec 7, 2016
    Australia
    After dodging the lemons and avocados, I picked one up. Neck is amazing. First thing I felt was the rolled fret edges, its a maple board on maple neck. The board itself has a slight hint of quilting and a few birdseyes up around the 15th and 17th frets. This is probably more luck than anything. Finish is very very light satin, close to the oiled neck on an EVH Jap wolfgang special I have.

The body isn't bad, typical cheap poly finish, not too thick though. Neck pocket is average, quite reasonable on a guitar of this value. Vintage style 3 chrome saddle bridge with strings through the rear. Pickup selector is cheap but the pots seem okay. Haven't opened it up yet to check values. 3 ply pick guard. Will post impressions of the pickups when I plug it in tomorrow. For $100, it's a bargain....so far.

bluepill, Grodad and Doug 54 like this.
  9. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Friend of Leo's

Someone at Aldi has a sense of humour, unless it's a coincidence... Model Number: EL-34

If it's anything like the quality of their groceries it should be great. Not seen one in the UK yet, but would be very tempted!

10. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm almost disappointed that it doesn't say Aldi on the headstock. I'd have a hard time resisting if it did!

RoyBGood and Asmith like this.
  11. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    Is that a metallic finish?

12. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    How much ??? By my calculations, that works out at 75 USD or 60 pounds sterling. I'd be all over them like a rash if they were available here.

Doctorx33 and Mbechmann like this.
  13. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Omg........this is he hippest thing ever. ultimate punk rock guitar.

Grodad and Mbechmann like this.
  14. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Friend of Leo's

That's a very good point. They have an odd attitude to their logo; their own-brand items have cheesy names that often blatantly allude to well-known brands - their 'Lurpak' butter copy is 'Norpak', and so on. They should start taking note of their success and proudly branding their products 'Aldi' now.

There was an all-black acoustic in the 'specials' section last year for around £60 and it looked as good a finish as anything I've seen at 3 to 4 times the price.

Let's hope they start selling twin-channel handwired Class A combos for £150 soon!

15. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    Norpak has been on the go since the early 60's, I recall it being sold here in Scotland when i was a kid..anyway.. yes Aldi's acoustic they had on sale here, we had a play with one or two of these guitars in the shop and we were very impressed with them..
    Whats the make name on their Tele Specials?.

16. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Going on their track record of cheesy names as noted above, I'm guessing it's a Bumper.

songtalk and RoyBGood like this.
  17. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Friend of Leo's

I can't blow the picture up enough to see the logo clearly. Would be a nice touch if it was something appropriate like 'Fullerton'.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  18. cauekk

cauekk NEW MEMBER!

Dec 7, 2016
    Sydney
    I bought mine yesterday. I have in mind that this guitar for $99AUD is a great deal.

The neck is thick, but well built with no marks on it, scale and neck are 2 separated parts, well glued. The frets edges are very very smooth. Platic nut, traditional die cast gotoh style tuners.

The fit and neck pocket are tight and well made, with no gaps.

The finish on the body of mine is a good poly cover, pristine, with no paint issues, 100% no blemishes.

the bridge is a little bit offset, and the saddles are **** for my taste.

Electronics are very cheap, I will probably remove them and put some new ones.

A good detail is the unconventional cut of the pick guard, blending traditional tele and the upper side of a Custom. Weird but beautiful.

Real wood, well finished and cheap parts. Make your judgement.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

RoyBGood and Grodad like this.
  19. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Looks OK for the money. Good for a youngster to start with.

DC

20. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I posted this deal on a different forum a week ago when the catalogue came out. Generally, Aldi hardware is crap, but for $100 AUD you couldn't buy the parts for that. I'd be all over it if I didn't already have too many guitars!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.