Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Albums you only listen to at certain times

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mid Life Crisis, May 17, 2018.

1. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    There are certain albums I prefer to listen to at certain times of the year or time of day, for example:

Forever Changes by Love - late at night in a mellow frame of mind
    Five Leaves Left by Nick Drake - on a dark, drizzly day
    Porcupine by Echo & The Bunnymen - in January
    The Byrds Greatest Hits - on a sunny day, with the door open letting fresh air in

Anyone else only able to listen to certain albums at certain times or in certain situations?

Alex W, smartsoul72 and Minimalist518 like this.

2. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    For me, Avalon, from Roxy Music, which I prefer to listen when...
    Err, better not to say.

titan uranus and Zeonoid like this.

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    I feel weird listening to A Love Supreme, the first Gorillaz album and most John Frusciante solo stuff during any kind of daylight. A have a few rainy-day albums too, like Electric Ladyland and Beatles for Sale. But I'm a little more loose with those.

Minimalist518 likes this.

4. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    Live at Leeds - I have to be pretty wound up to listen to it now.

5. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Is “Porcupine” as a January album a musical consideration, or is it purely down to the decidedly wintery aspect of the album cover? Does this mean “Ocean Rain” is reserved for April?
    A few years ago, my wife bought me a new boom-box that actually plays cassettes as well as CDs and radio. We blasted my old tape of “Porcupine” while we were doing yard work.
    I do tend to favor music seasonally. This past winter I was a bit obsessed with Bowie’s “Black Star” and “A Scarcity of Miracles” by Fripp et al as well as “A Strange Place for Snow” by E.S.T.
    I also favor “Kid-A”-era Radiohead and Thom York’s solo album in the winter. They all have an inward-looking, wintery melancholy spaciousness, like cool, empty but comfortable rooms, if that makes sense.
    Now that its spring I’m back to my usual mixed bag of Punk rock on these days when you can fling open all the windows or while I’m mowing the lawn. The first three Cure albums are for rainy days as are Bowie’s Berlin Trilogy, especially “Low.”
    I can listen to Black Sabbath any time, but I tend to associate them with summer because way back in the day my best friend had one of those dun-brown cassette carrying cases with all of the Ozzy-era, and if I remember correctly, the first couple Dio-fronted Sabbath albums. He had taken paint pens and put the Black Sabbath “Sold Our Souls” style logo on the case. We called it the “road-trip box.”
    I have the same road-trip association with the Pixies “Surfer Rosa,” J&MC’s “Automatic” and the (broadly) Ziggy-era Bowie albums. Great driving music; all of those records make me think of open roads, broad summer skies and an even broader sense of youthful possibility!

6. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    A bit of both on Porcupine I think. I first heard it in winter and listened to it a lot at that time, so that tends to be what drives the timing for me, but possibly the snowy scenes on the cover contribute to it too.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    The Wall, only on long road trips. Because I can't just listen to a few song on it. It has to be in order, and complete.

But even then, not very often. I listened to it so much as a kid I can sing the entire album, from end to end, instrument sounds and all. It drives my family nuts. Soooo, it doesn't come out very much nowadays.

bftfender and Minimalist518 like this.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Winter: Thrash metal. Which, let's face it, that means basically any and all Megadeth :)

9. Minimalist518

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    No matter the season, it’s a great, great album!

Mid Life Crisis likes this.

10. Minimalist518

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Sound effects, “Look Mummy, there’s an aeroplane up in the sky,” “how can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat” and all?

11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Oh yeah. All the background noises and talking. Everything. It doesn't help that I still don't know all they're saying. I was all of 8 years old when I got the album. It's like I still kinda hear it in my head as a little kid would hear it.

"Shadup! Roit. I gotta little black book with me poems in!!"

12. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    Trout Mask Replica-Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. Only in the car, and only when I'm by myself, as it drives the rest of the family up the wall...:eek:

Nick Drake is definitely rainy day music for me also.

13. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    In general, I enjoy music more at night than I do during the day.

Zeonoid likes this.

14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I listen to most albums only in my car, because I don't have time to listen to a whole album anywhere else.

Digital Larry and LocoTex like this.

15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Quadrophenia in the rain for 1000 Alex :cool:

LocoTex, Slip Kid and craigh9 like this.

16. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nick Drakes' Pink Moon - Dead of winter. When even though your house is warm you've still got a chill in your bones.
    Bon Iver self-titled - Summer. Late night. Preferably with the lights off.
    Paul Simon's Graceland - Kicking off a road trip.

LocoTex likes this.

17. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Almost everything is mood based for me, but it rapidly evolves. I grab a few records and let that first theme lead to the next.

Playlists work the same way.

It’s why I can go from geto boys to Anne Murray and not bat an eye.

18. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Thelonious himself - That album I save for when I need it. It has a certain way of making a really bad day pretty good. The effect is so powerful on me that I avoid it unless I really need it. Eventually I haven't heard it more than maybe 25 times. I'm afraid it would loose it's power otherwise.

It's like it breaks down whatever bad structures the brain has built and rewires it into something much more Functional.

jonnyfez likes this.

19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    Reggae is summer music for me. Just doesn't seem to work in cold weather.

Ricky D. and 9fears08 like this.

20. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    The Holy Bible by The Manic Street Preachers. Really dark album. Only suitable for when you’re feeling dark :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.