Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Albums without guitar to get inspired

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by REGUERA, Sep 30, 2017.

1. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Tom Waits' album "Alice" has no guitar on it, and it's one of my favorite albums.

REGUERA and telemnemonics like this.

2. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    A couple of staples without guitars.

4 Cat Slim and Minimalist518 like this.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah, Tom waits is one of my desert island artists, tons of great music from him, though a good bit of guitar on albums too.
    I'll have to check out these recordings when I have a chance.

Otherwise Otis Redding came to mind, and also some of the great Hammond B-3 players organ trios are worth checking out.

King Creole likes this.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Man, Pharoah's playing on Satchidinanda is the motivation for playing similar lines and tones on guitar, especially the first two tracks. I haven't heard all of Alice’s work, but this is probably one of the most accessible, and she does indeed rock.

Question is, did mullet boy grow out the mullet or clip it all off???

5. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Ha ha nope, Pharoah didn't take the Jersey out of the boy, but sure did fill him up with a whole 'nother view of music.
    For weeks if he dropped in he'd be mumbling about how the piece was "just perfect".
    Not the fur piece, the Pharoah piece.
    We're talking a pretty perfect mullet too though.
    Ear width till it got to maybe chin height, then flaring out at the bottom like a duck tail but way wider, and extra long. Epic quaff really.
    I almost felt bad, he'd arrived in "Boston" full of eager high hopes, but seemed to lose all his enthusiasm.
    He had said he wanted to teach guitar at Berklee IIRC.
    Hope he found his way...

BorderRadio likes this.

6. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Now I'm recalling trying to get that stuff on guitar too.
    I actually used to play Tenor sax as well, and it was a little easier to get in the ballpark with the same instrument.
    If you have any suggestions for getting that huge of a tone with guitar, I'm all ears.
    LP territory I'd reckon.
    How 'bout Sonny Sharrock?

Edit: Soprano sax on Satchidananda, right?
    I'm hearing Pharoahs tenor in my head.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can’t get there with a guitar—or else risk have a sound like Santana. That’s the inspirational part, just trying to get inside any of these guys’ heads. I believe it was soprano...

Always wanted to play sax, but the old man directed me toward trumpet. Could of been worse, could of been tuba or French horn.

telemnemonics likes this.

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I listen to a lot of Glenn Miller music... I love the arrangements and the sound. I also listen to a lot of Ragtime music... Scott Joplin, Eubie Blake etc... That's the foundation of Travis Pickin' which of course if the foundation of Chet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.