Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Albums without guitar to get inspired

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by REGUERA, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I forgot--the original version of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" has electric guitar on it, so I guess we'll have to count that one out!

2. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Larry Fast Synergy Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra full album

3. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    not sure about a full album, but this no-guitar track is a fantastic classic...drums, acoustic bass and vocal

brookdalebill likes this.

4. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2008
    paris

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ

+100

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    First album, in it's entirety. There is a sample from Death From Above 1979, but that's bass guitar and drums:

....and:

telemnemonics likes this.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    @BorderRadio Yeah!
    Never heard of Crystal Castles but cool listening, and Alice Coltrane rocks if you can handle the punishment she sometimes delivers!
    Reminds me of a long time favorite album I seldom listen to any more, Pharoah Sanders is on the Alice Coltrane album, but on this one he plays mostly tenor. I used to have a different recording of the piece but with Stanley Clarke on upright bass, and the record was an experience.
    I lived in a music house in Cambridge/ Somerville and had live music like 15 hours a day with drop in jams all the time and band practice right over the sidewalk. Strangers would just drop in with instruments.
    So a guitar player from New Jersey with a perfect mullet shows up in the neighborhood and drops in to visit. We all were very nice and tried not to laugh at the poor guy. Hair is regional, no need to be a hair bigot.
    One night a roomate shared some stuff in a dropper bottle from the freezer, including with mullet boy. I put on this album, which the one I had was all one song you had to flip the disc to hear.
    I can't recall mullet boy the rest of the night, as I was doing something scary to a guitar for six hours or so, according to my roommates.
    The next day mullet boy stopped by a completely changed man.
    That one album turned him inside out, with a little help from timothy.

This is IIRC another version, though I've never found the one I recall.

BorderRadio and Mr Green Genes like this.

8. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I remember when Blue Camel came out in 1992, spending endless amounts of time, sometimes just playing the same three or four notes, over and over, trying to capture all of the little nuances of dynamics and expression, never mind the note choice and phrasing.

A Night In The Mountains is one of my favorite tracks on the album.

The improv section comes in with Rabih Abou Khalil's teasingly elegant and understated oud at about 1:30. He takes his sweet time with it, allowing the story to languidly unfold like the petals of an exotic night-blooming jasmine, slowly opening to release its rich and intoxicating perfume into the velvety evening air.

Once he's said his piece, he doesn't really throw to Kenny Wheeler's flugelhorn as much as he just kind of lets him in, and when Charlie Mariano joins in on alto sax, it has such an intimacy that the listener almost feels voyeuristic for listening, but can't turn away from the enchanting and mesmerizing interplay.

Every note of Steve Swallow's bass is exactly as it should be, and between Milton Cardona, Nabil Khaiat, and Ramesh Shotham, the percussion provides just the right framework to give the piece the structure it needs.

Every time I listen to this track, I learn something new.

With the title track, Blue Camel, he's wasting no time. Again, the improv section comes in at about 1:30, but this time, he lets it be known right out of the gate that he means business. I never tried to learn the passage from 1:30-1:40. I know my limitations.

Other tracks on the album explore some time signatures that are a little more unusual in Western music, like 11/4 or 10/8.

9. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Great story! (yup, I remember the one with Stanley Clarke. I think it's been out of print forever though.)

10. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Not sure if this has been said, have a listen to Bitches Brew by none other than Miles Davis... that’s my go to. You actually have to keep me away from anything that allows me to write after I’ve listened to that... so many good sounds.

11. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Joe Zawinul did some great work on those. They were definitely playing without a net.

Billy Cobham and Jack DeJohnette on the same tracks?!

12. titan uranus

titan uranus TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    Some truly excellent suggestions have been made so far; I will add a favorite of mine to your listening homework:

13. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    @Mr Green Genes I love the oud and a lot of Middle Eastern music, those are some interesting cuts I've never heard.
    I've long wanted to buy an oud or build a similar fretless electric instrument, but ouds are hard to find and not cheap.
    I had a snake charmer like double reed instrument that I could play pretty well, very logical for middle Eastern sounding stuff.

14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The Residents

Debussy piano works, Satie

Snowflakes Are Dancing by Tomita, which includes this

Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue

15. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Crescent - John Coltrane

Minimalist518 likes this.

16. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Never heard that one that I can recall, just youtubed it and it's pretty good to my ear, not that there's any bad Coltrane out there.
    I'm enjoying this thread because I need the be bumped out of my rut now and then, even if only to get back to some staple listening.

I seem to prefer sax players for ideas and inspiration, and while there has been some forward movement in Sax and Jazz in general, I still don't find much from today that kicks older stuff off the top.

I read hear that there's lots of great stuff happening now, but I'm just not hearing it.
    And I don't think it's just because we like our developmental era of music better than what "those kids today do".
    I love any intense emotional creative well crafted music (or art in general), and it really still seems that there was a creative era in the past that does not quite exist in the present.

Which connects to the question of all who are dying off now.
    Do we miss them so much because we were growing up when they were the new thing?
    Or was that time, and its new things, an aberration in the thread of humanity's growth.

A thought: through the first 2/3 of the 20th Century, the work of the musician in many cases included creativity and invention. Partly because there was brand new music being created in Blues and Jazz, plus the post Classical realm was grappling with the fact that it was no longer the reigning king of creative music.

After perhaps the mid '60s, creativity started to be pushed as a thing, held up above other aspects of human development.
    Then as kids encouraged to be creative grew up and became adults who idealized creativity, maybe around the time that the massive music growth surge was slowing down (after Coltrane died in '67, Jazz arguably lost it's way or at least its momentum); creativity became self conscious and overly intellectualized, cutting off its own soul for the sake of its face of creativity.

These days I can appreciate music for its soul and emotion without expecting it to also be creative or ground breaking.
    Music education has advanced exponentially to a point where teens often have the tech skill of the giants from the origins of whatever music they play, but those kids learned the tech without having to put it to reason.

If you know how, but don't know why, can you still deliver the thing that makes music penetrate a society and stay there in the collective DNA?

REGUERA likes this.

17. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

18. REGUERA

REGUERA TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Europe
    Well, I dont dislike jazz, the thing is that I'm not totally ready to understand it as it deserves. For example, I like Coltrane's "my favourite things", but I find difficult to listen "a love supreme". Some Miles Davis is a bit hard for me.
    I am doing my musical journey, things that I didnt like before, now I can appreciate better. What I liked in the beggining, not so much now. I was born in 1982, as a teenager I enjoyed Nirvana, Pearl Jam and others of that era, but as I grew up, I disliked the current music and gravitated to the past greats. Music has become an inportant part of my life, it makes my day better. So as you participate in my post, sharing with my your knowledge you make my musical journey fuller.
    This week I've benn listening to your suggestions and it made my week a lot better. Thank you all!

telemnemonics and McGlamRock like this.

19. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    Two from the realm of rock music I bring up whenever this subject comes around.

Firstly, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, astonishing late 60s psychedelic soul, Vincent Crane manning the organ and no guitar to be found. Start at 19:00 to skip the redundant presentation of Side 1 in mono; I usually prefer the mono mixes of these old albums, but literally the only difference I detect is the lack of overdubs. Start at 19:00

Secondly, from roughly the same time, art school psychedelic experiment The United States of America, featuring a wide range of cutting edge music tech but not a guitar amongst them.

20. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    My two favorites are John Coltrane's Ballads,
    and his collaboration with singer Johnny Hartman.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.