Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Albums without guitar to get inspired

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by REGUERA, Sep 30, 2017.

1. REGUERA

REGUERA TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Europe
    Hello everyone!
    What about some albums that inspires you but theres no guitar in it? As a known example, Duane Allman listened to John Coltrane and Miles Davis, his slide style was more like an harmonica than the usual blues...
    Although I am not much into Jazz, one of the first things I learned to play was "So what" of Davis, had a lot of fun with it. Lately, "What Id said" of Ray Charles caught my attention (Allman version too, among others).
    I also enjoy piano music like Nina Simone, Glenn Gould, Dustin O'halloran.... Clifford Brown or any horn music as well, classical cello....
    So many good stuff out there!

RoyBGood likes this.

2. REGUERA

REGUERA TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Europe
    Wow! Wasnt expecting anything like this, cool!

Theres one piano song Id really love to arrange for guitar, but Im not good at it, I tried and failed miserably....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Nina Simone, we do a couple of her songs in the band and they work great.
    Andrew Sisters as well, although this is rough without a horn section.
    In Germany Before The War from Randy Newman on ukulele has been on our setlists for years.

Actually anything with a melody, harmony, rhythm that I like. It will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

4. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I used to listen to lots of brass- Donald Byrd, Dexter Gordon, Miles Davis, etc- I also used to learn vocal lines on guitar, everything from Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan to Sufi Qawwali vocals, Swiss yodeling and Bulgarian shepherdess songs, in order to work on phrasing, dynamics, vibrato, and so on.

Instruments like Zheng, Shamisen and Koto are great for learning economy, Oud, Surbahar and Sitar are good for learning expressive little microtonal bends, even things like native American flute and Turkish ney flute can add lots of new ideas to your playing.

Don't limit yourself to the genre you play. Go ahead and go outside your comfort zone, and you'll be surprised at how much more dynamic and expressive your playing will become.

telemnemonics and RoyBGood like this.

5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

The first album that came to mind was Joe Jackson's 'Night An Day'. This has some of his best songs; Stepping Out, Real Men, and the magnificent Slow Song. Glenn Miller stuff is great for harmony inspiration.

6. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    morphine, no guitar, but a baritone sax.

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    My favorite musician is Lester young, tenor sax. Died in the 1950s. I’ve always found listening to him inspiring. He did his most famous work with the Count Basie band in the 1930s.

Also love Wayne shorter, also a sax player. His compositions are so fascinating and quirky.

Really the world of jazz is just full of inspiration for me.

Mr Green Genes likes this.

8. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.

9. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Bach - be it organ or Cello works - stunning compositions.

matrix likes this.

10. REGUERA

REGUERA TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Europe
    Great suggestions, thank you all. As Mr Green Genes said, I must go outside my comfort zone more often. Time ago I listened to eastern Europe music, I liked it but didnt go any further. To Anode100, Bach is my favourite classical composer, I like everithing I listened of him.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

11. REGUERA

REGUERA TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Europe
    I almost forgot! Long time ago I saw A Bronx Tale, but I wasnt into music as much as I am now. I didnt remember hearing Donald Byrd's cristo redentor. I have found it thanks to your suggestions. What a beautiful song!

Mr Green Genes and BorderRadio like this.

12. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    anything by timbalada.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Listen to sitar music (surbahar is the bass sitar). You'll conclude you need to bend more! And crazy bends at that.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Oh it's a big ol' world out there!
    I stopped listening to guitar for years and still hold more non guitar music as favorite, but electric guitar is so chameleonic and versatile, there's not much that can't be done with it.

Coltrane was my longest influence, but early Count Basie (some with Lester Young) was my earliest non guitar influence, and i played guitar along with Basie albums a lot in early development.

In Jazz there is a top of the list group where straight ahead stuff is most popular, but I find very dull. I want to leave the club when two saxes and a trumpet all play a unison line over and over. There is tons of non-straight-ahead Jazz to search through, starting with late Coltrane.
    Early Coltrane like with Miles was very pedestrian, Coltrane had become a great sax player, but IMO had not yet found his own voice.
    When he picked up soprano he was just getting started, but once he hit full stride, he was too intense for most listeners of the time.

Now listening to almost any top tier sax player, we hear Coltrane's phrasing over and over, while few go further.

Indian music is also a great place to look, and there have been lots of great East West collaborations.
    I often cannot find the obscure bits I love(d) when searching youtube, but here's a taste of Indian classical and Euro classical paired up.

Both of these players broke lots of ground in the development of newer music, while also working in their respective traditions.

For a look at some Coltrane when he was IMO just getting started, but here a selection of Blues cuts where he's slowing down or laying back a bit, there is a lot of thought potential in the very accessible work by a madman genius who went on to wring out Jazz and hang it up to dry.
    McCoy Tyner is reeeaaallly worth listening to for ideas, I find I will go to his piano as often as Coltrane's sax when thinking "Coltrane".
    I also think of Elvin Jones' right hand on the ride cymbal for guitar rhythmic ideas.

Seldom is there a single piece of work that sums up an artist, got to hunt for the stuff that moves you.

BorderRadio likes this.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Here's a great Charlie Mingus cut off a live album I used to have, with an incredible array of great sax players. I used to be able to ID them all by their playing, but now they kind of blend together. Some of Mingus' "sidemen" would start off ripping off the last guys' stuff and trying to do it better, so there's some friendly cutting going on.
    Rahshaan Roland kirk is one to hunt down, but beware of him being youtubed for playing three saxes at once over his otherwise brilliantly staggering saxmanship.

Mr Green Genes and BorderRadio like this.

16. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    nicaragua
    Anything by the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra

17. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Kraftwerk, pretty much any of their albums but I think "Computer World" is their masterpiece.

Minimalist518 and BorderRadio like this.

18. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    This is all great stuff.
    Let's not forget Oscar Peterson:

19. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Mar 10, 2011
    glasgow

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.