Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Albums with just one electric guitar and nothing else?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gmm52, Jul 23, 2017.

1. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Southern Ontario
    There have been instrumental albums with nothing but one acoustic guitar (Leo Kottke's Six and Twelve String Guitar comes to mind) but I am curious if any albums have ever been released that contained nothing but solid body electric guitar instrumentals, clean or driven. Has anyone ever seen one? I know it's an odd format, as the electric guitar might not lend itself to solo instrumental music the way acoustic guitar might, and that's what prompted my curiosity and the question.

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Like with no bass or anything? Dunno - maybe jazz guitar stuff?

Good question.

I immediately though "Beyond The Missouri Sky" by Pat Metheny and Charlie Hayden - but that is guitar and (upright) bass.

3. REGUERA

REGUERA TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Europe
    What about Chet Atkins?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    brookdalebill likes this.

4. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Return of the Durutti Column (Vini Reilly's one-man band) from 1980 perhaps come close. But it does have some bass and drums (or drum machine ?). But it's entirely focused on his electric guitar. Mesmerising.

For those of you who have never heard of him (and I'm guessing that's quite a few), Reilly was once named as #7 in the top 20 best all time guitarists, in an admittedly quirky list in the UK Sunday Times ...
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pop-school-day-3-20-best-guitarists-2l7866j9wr3
    Article text behind the Time's paywall ..
    http://chestnut-ah.livejournal.com/906878.html
    And here's examples from the 20 on Spotify ...
    http://spoti.fi/20bestguitarists

5. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    There was a Turkish cat back in the 90s- his name escapes me at the moment.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    The early Billy Bragg albums, but they do have vocals so that might not be what you want.

(edit: also I think not solid-body, which disqualifies it further)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    9fears08 likes this.

7. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    That's a tough one. Very specific. Although my entry here has a song on it with an acoustic accompaniment, and somewhere else there may be a smudge of organ, for the most part the soundtrack for Dead Man is just Neil Young and an electric guitar. One of my favorite films (check out the cast!) and soundtracks..

8. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    malmö sweden

One person playing old folk tunes on guitars insted of fiddle. (Bass is a kind of guitar:)?)

Lilleaton likes this.

9. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Joe Pass - Virtuoso

matrix, SeanClavin, MickM and 6 others like this.

10. Humscruddle

Humscruddle TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe - UK.
    The only thing that springs to mind for me is Ted Greene's 'Solo Guitar' album. I'd say something by Chet or Jerry but I can't think of any albums of theirs which contained only one guitar and no overdubs whatsoever. Interested to hear what everyone comes up with.

SeanClavin and ukepicker like this.

11. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Haven't heard that one - thanks for the recommendation.

Neil Young's Le Noise album is mostly just electric. There are a few acoustic tunes. But IIRC, the songs were recorded live by Neil - one man, one guitar - then tweaked and cranked and sampled by Mr. Daniel Lanois. One of my favorite musical collaborations, and I wish they would do another one.

A big +1 on Ted Greene

I also heard somewhere that Tim Lerch might be putting together an album of his solo YT stuff. I'd buy that. He is one of my favorites of all time.

And Bill Frisell's Solo's - the Jazz Sessions is a really great, solo, tele-filled album.

12. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Tom Verlaine of the band Television has solo stuff that is just electric guitar. I think he has a bunch of solo albums, but I've listened to at least one that I don't remember hearing any other instruments on.

The Fendermen made an album in 1960 called Mule Skinner Blues that has several instrumental cuts with no drummer. So it's two guitars, a tele and a strat, but the only sound you hear is electric guitar.

Humscruddle likes this.

13. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens

This album (Sonny Sharrock's "Guitar") is just solid-body electric, but there are overdubs.

Derek Bailey and Joe Pass made several records of solo improvisation, but they generally played archtops.

EllroyJames, bottlenecker and wyclif like this.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    This was the first one that came to mind

15. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    That record is astounding if you like guitar and you're into experimental music and/or free jazz. I was fortunate enough to see and hear Sharrock play on his final "Ask the Ages" tour in a tiny little hole-in-the-wall venue in Philly called The Tin Angel, and the sounds he was getting out of his Les Paul were amazing. Sadly, he passed away not long after that.

16. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Plenty of guitar in the jazz world, far to much to mention actually both with and without a band.

If we are just talking intrumentals, then Jim Campilongo is a fine player in the tradition of Roy Buchannon and Danny Gatton.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Beat me to it.
    I got to see/hear the man on my B'day in 1990.
    Relentless swinging virtuosity, incarnate.
    Even when his health was failing, as it was then, he was amazing!

Felino and Chicago Matt like this.

18. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Well, both you and Felino beat me to it :):

19. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Now I'm reading that Joe's ES-175 was recorded acoustically for virtuoso, not through an amp. Who knows? Would that still qualify?
    Incredible playing regardless.

20. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    My favourite ones, too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.