Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Albert Collins - both pickups or bridge only?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by LohnnyL, Apr 11, 2012.

1. LohnnyL

LohnnyL Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I'm just trying to settle a debate that I have, well, mostly with myself. I know that some claim that Albert was mostly about the middle position and other claim that he used mostly the bridge position.

I'm curious about it in general but mostly about his tone a specific songs - The Moon Is Full:

Albert plays the intro solo and the outro (starts 4:10). Robert Cray is responsible for the solo in the middle of the song.

There are other examples (like Iceman, or I Ain't Drunk) but this is almost the ultimate Tele tone, as far as I'm concerned...

What do you guys think - middle position? just bridge?

2. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

To me,Albert always sounded like bridge pickup only.

3. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about the clip, but I saw Albert play close up in clubs many times and he went back and forth between the middle and bridge all the time. Most of the time he would be in the middle and then kick it to the bridge for more emphasis. Sometimes he would play octaves and organ type chord comps on the neck humbucker only. A cranked Quad Reverb, a tele and the longest guitar chord you've ever seen. What a player and showman.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a couple of AC live DVDs and I watched them very carefully. Mostly he played bridge alone, a couple of times he switched to middle briefly for certain passages.

That doesn't mean other times he didn't use middle more, and especially in the studio, but on those shows I have it was 98% bridge alone.

I actually have a couple more DVDs now since that time, haven't watched them with that in mind. Maybe I will to see what he does on those. It's not like it's a chore to watch Albert!

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for bringing up Albert in any way shape or form.

Was so lucky to have seen him at the Soup Kitchen (tiny club) in the late 80's, and was soooo deaf for a couple days after...:D

We still love ya Albert !

7. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I've seen him play live quite a few times from early '70s to late and he used both N+B
    and Bridge. Also saw him with just a B-3 and drums early '70s and he used the neck
    more but not exclusive. Him and Albert King had picking thumbs big as my big toes.

8. LohnnyL

LohnnyL Tele-Meister

Don't mention it. Around 2001 I was thinking about starting to play guitar. Was listening to a lot of Eric Clapton, BB King and Santana back then. And then I got this CD:

[​IMG]

It had Albert Collins doing the Moon Is Fool and Roy Buchanan doing this one:

I was hooked. I knew that I'm going to start playing guitar. Funny thing is that I never got a Tele. This is, currently, my missing piece of gear - and I want to buy one that would get me in the ballpark of this tones... so really - Albert Collins is like the Big Bang in the history of my guitar playing.

I still don't own a Tele... :cry:

So can anyone tell from this clip what position(s) he is using?

9. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Definitely just the bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.