Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Airbrush Clear Coating

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mike shaw, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2009
    Illinois
    I'm touching up a 90-ish Peavey Tracer for a neighborhood kid. I hit some areas with Createx acryllic and an airbrush. The original finish seems to be some kind of catalysed finish.

What would be the best gloss clear to go over the Createx and transition into the poly? Acryllic lacquer, Polyurethane, Createx Clear .... ?

I would be applying the clear either with an airbrush or rattle can.

Thanks!

PS. Createx is airbrush paint

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

2. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2009
    Illinois

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Well Createx says that you can apply nitro over their paints when used on wood. Dont mention anything else though. Are you spraying clear over the whole guitar or just the repaired areas? Some guys use CA glue or even nail polish to touch up the clear in chips.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Could be kind of tricky--my experience with polys is that unless you scuff sand them they'll peel off just about anything you spray on them. Won't burn in like multiple coats of lacquer. So far as I know, you could probably use some very fine grit paper so it will fill in and go clear, and with an airbrush, you could probably merge it in subtly.

5. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2009
    Illinois
    Are you spraying clear over the whole guitar or just the repaired areas?

Just the repaired areas which covers an area of about 4" x 4" or maybe a bit larger.

Could be kind of tricky--my experience with polys is that unless you scuff sand them they'll peel off just about anything you spray on them.

The painted section seems to be sticking fine. I did 'roughen up' the original finish before I sprayed color. I'm kind of leaning towards airbrushing a water based acrylic lacquer.

6. 147-c

147-c TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    I use nailpolish on nitro and superglue on poly. Super cheap and works perfectly.

7. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2009
    Illinois
    I use nailpolish on nitro and superglue on poly. Super cheap and works perfectly.

Nirmally I do the same for small areas, but this repair is too large for that.

8. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2009
    Illinois

9. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2010
    Lawrenceville, GA
    You can use nitrocellulose lacquer over poly if you thoroughly rough up the original finish with 400 grit sandpaper. The problem you'll run into is "witness lines." The nitro will not blend with the poly, nothing does. If you spray the nitro over a small area on a poly finish, the repaired area will always have a "witness line" around it. The only solution is to spray the entire body.

I use cyanoacrylate (superglue) for small area repairs on poly finished bodies. I have no idea what CA would do to Createx lacquer. If it doesn't disolve it, CA is your best solution. It buffs out to blend almost perfectly with a poly finish. Ideally, the repair area is slightly lower than the surrounding surface before adding the CA.

Below are before and after pictures of a repair I completed yesterday on a poly finished Fender '72 RI. (The "before" picture is from the original Ebay listing, so it's not very good, but hopefully you get the idea.) This was a pretty bad ding, but I think the repair came out pretty well.

Attached Files:

10. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2009
    Illinois
    Hey Bud, nice repair!
    My repair had a bunch of divots going all the way to the wood. I colored the wood with a similar paint color as the body (or so I thought!) and drop filled with CY. When I leveled the fills, the color contrasted big-time! I figured I would just touch up the color with a marker, paint or something similar in color. After spending many days trying to match the color, I gave up. I then stumbled accross the airbrush colors and as luck would have it, I found a color that was almost a perfect match. After practicing with the color, I realised that airbrush paint is not as 'sturdy' as typical paint, so I need to protect it with a clear coat. And that's where I am today.

I was playing with some brush-on model acrylic lacquer and applied some to a piece of plastic with a Q-Tip. It looks really good - flat, clear, but it seems a little soft. I could easilly scratch it with a fingernail. Might have to cure longer (maybe).

I'm really not overly concerned about a witness line. If I apply a finish with the airbrush I can likely mist on the edges and feather it in. Or just re-spray the entire back side. In addition, I told the kid who owns the guitar that touching up poly is a ***** and usually doesn't come out perfect. He doesn't seem too concerned and I am doing all of this for free so .....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.