Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ahhh, the Hanger Steak

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, May 18, 2017.

1. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

Can you tell us where the "hanger" steak is cut from the beef? Maybe I missed it.....

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    My mom had a butcher on Arthur Ave in the Bronx who had a crush on her.
    Back then, Hangers were also called "Butcher's Cut" because they only ever went home with the butcher.
    I also remember when Skirt Steak was beef for po' folk.
    They're a weird shape, so people didn't like them.
    Not that dissimilar to a hanger, actually...
    As the butcher described it, cows are symmetrical...on one side of the animal is some kind of organ and, on the other side, there's the hangar...there's 1 per cow.
    I can't vouch for the veracity of this story.

Tazz3 likes this.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Intriguing to see so many equating hanger and skirt. I'm no butcher, but in my experience they are completely different in cut, flavor and texture.

It is nearly impossible to make a hanger tough, regardless of how you cook or slice it. And it has a unique meaty flavor, even for steak.

I like flank for certain things, don't get me wrong.

MisterZ and Bones like this.

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I think hanger and skirt are different parts of the animal's diaphragm.

5. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I like hanger, skirt, tri-tip, flank, but London Broil is the "beefiest" tasting, IMO. Not the most tender, so you have to get a good one and slice it THIN.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    It's like a skirt in that it's a non traditional shape (it sure ain't no Porterhouse!) and has a unique flavor.
    It's why they were unknown/under-appreciated for so long.

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Beef. I remember beef. I had to recently all but give it up. With all the other things I've had to give up, I went from the least picky eater to the one who cannot find anything on most menus that I can eat. Sigh.

I will remember hanger steaks - on the rare occasion that I can eat more that a bite or two of beef, I want it to be a good cut that makes it worthwhile.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Is this another flagrant effort to smear the faces of us baby boomers in the cesspool of modern technology and products? When we were young there were no "hanger steaks". We had your regular sirloin, fillet, t-bone, porterhouse, ribeye, strip...you know, NORMAL beef?

When did the wizards of GMO come up with this ****? Forcing a normal cow to grow a hanger...just so we can have something to go with our Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Damn Millennials I bet! I hope they choke on these fancy new "smart" steaks...

Henry, Andy B, telemnemonics and 3 others like this.

9. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Actually, it's about using a higher percentage of the cow and not wasting food.

Ira7 likes this.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Skirt steak/hanger steak + orange juice and garlic and cilantro (carne asada) = joy. Grill it up.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Never heard of hanger steaks, but I've had tuna head steaks sliced right off the hanging tuna at the dock.
    Mmmm.
    Bout as rare as hangers I reckon, where a 700lb tuna has maybe 1/2lb of head steak.

Beef, hell I don't know if I ate a T bone or a Porterhouse tonight.
    Tasty though.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I gotta talk to some real butchers and find out what Hanger is.

Incredibly, Florida is like one of the top three states (possibly two, I forget) in cattle production in the country. Most people don't realize this, because they're not raising cattle in Miami Beach or Boca Raton!

It's all shipped out of state and dispatched (killed!) and processed elsewhere, is my guess.

Then it comes back dead in cellophane packages.

13. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Damn.

It looks just like skirt steak, but judging by the info, it's worlds apart.

I like skirt steak, but I don't love it like a rib-eye. They're totally different things.

Hanger LOOKS like skirt steak (what we call skirt in the U.S.), but with the texture of "regular" steak. Skirt steak is real funky when it comes to texture.

14. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yep.

And about better ways to butcher it.

It really is all about how you butcher ANY animal. It makes a world of difference.

15. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY

We think that we prefer this to rib-eye, the combination of flavor and texture is amazing. I had two pieces left over that I pan grilled for lunch yesterday, just to see how it would cook up without marinading overnight. Just threw them in a pan with olive oil, butter, minced garlic and some rosemary, high heat, 5 minutes on each side and they were really good. Not as good as the dark lager marinade I used the day before, but still really good.

16. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm on a quest now to find this.

17. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    You're welcome :)

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm heading to that Latin market Bravo now to make pork loin ribs tonight.

I doubt I'll find hanger there, but I'll pull up all of my Spanish language skills to ask the butcher.

I'll report back later.

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I didn't make it to the market yet (enjoying a beer with friends).

But after reading the full Wiki entry, the Spanish words for this cut is Solomillo de Pulmon. (Something of lung.)

In Mexico particularly, it's called Arrechera.

And my friend at the bar who was a supermarket butcher many, many moons ago (decades), never heard of it. But when he saw the Wiki photo, he noticed immediately how the grain went in different directions, dramatically improving its texture.

And now, he's dying to try it too.

Bones likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.