Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Aging a Nitro Lacquer finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by sh1000, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

Dec 12, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    It works with regular, old, compressed air from Radio Shack. I use the stuff all the time and it gets COLD....

2. BroadMaster

BroadMaster Tele-Afflicted

Thanx for the 4-1-1 :idea: , jellecaster. That will certainly be a time and $$ saver
    all way 'round.
    Michael

3. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    So a regular can of compressed air gets cold enough for that... interesting

4. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's

Jun 18, 2004
    Queen Creek, AZ
    oh jeez, here we go again...

Why on earth would anyone finish their Tele's in that goofy BuckOwens-sparkle finish? Or Paisley? Flames? Stickers of pin-up girls or marijuana leafs?? I imagine it's just personal preference on guitar finish and has nothing to do with tone, playability of anything else. Why is this such a hot button issue with some people? It's just a guitar finish.

I don't own a relic, but I'm not advese to the idea. I leaf through The Blackguard Book and see those beautiful guitars and know I'll never likely have the cabbage to buy one, so why not a replica? Besides, it looks like it might be kinda fun as a DIY project.

5. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    Hey, take it easy, I just was curious why he wants to do that, no judgement or whatever. Cheers. ;)

6. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    If you hold it upside down when you spray it the propellent is expelled along withnthe air..it's the propellent thats the"freezer" That stuff will freeze your skin!!

7. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2007
    Quebec, Canada

8. Brewboy

Brewboy Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2005
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    I got a big old nasty blister on my finger from spraying Radio Shack compressed air. Kinda like frost bite I suppose. It's my pick holding finger and of course I had a gig the next day-ouch! Wear gloves when you do this folks.

9. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland

10. Big Lug

Big Lug Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2003
    BC, Canada

11. sh1000

sh1000 TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2007
    north miami florida
    meant to ask....should i take the neck off while it's in the sun?

12. BroadMaster

BroadMaster Tele-Afflicted

I do.
    It probably will not hurt to leave it, but I'd only check the front and back of the headstock and some areas around the heel of the neck.
    Michael

13. ultraeconomike

ultraeconomike NEW MEMBER!

May 1, 2009
    Silverlake, CA
    I'm posting it because no one has mentioned it in the comments I've read. Another technique which works well to dull a shiny finish without checking is to apply duct tape to the surface and then remove. You may have to clean off the adhesive afterwards with a rag and some acetone which further dulls the finish. Stickers also do the same thing.

14. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Besides the fact that for some reason I'll never quite understand, you are responding to a 3 year old thread....It's about Lacquer, and Acetone will not only "Dull" it....It will "Remove" it...better rethink your advice......:rolleyes:

15. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

May I video tape you doing this, I'll bring my own guitar for you to do this to..... What was the EPA finder fee for those videos? $15000 or so, the fines even stiffer.

16. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Doh, I responded to a zombie thread...

17. ckroenlein

ckroenlein Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2006
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Take the body and neck apart, throw both in the deep freeze a couple of days. When ready, fire up the oven to 500 degrees. OPen door slightly, roast body direct out of the freezer over hot air and listen to the fireworks. You can use a paint brush, like a 2.5 inch dry brush and buff the finish. The best way is to press the bristles perpendicular to the body and rub in a circular fashion. It will haze the finish.

18. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Why???????

Because I feel IMO for the most part folks don't want their guitars to look like a brand new toy...

Kinda like "na na nana nahhhhh" I have a brand new guitar. This is made somewhat worse with the newer poly coat finishes that are really shiney and toy looking.

Don't get me wrong there are folks that love a brand new Tele, looking like a new Camro etc. but to me if a guitar looks like it's never been used it probably hasn't.............

Gary

19. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Old thread, now closed. If someone wants to start a new thread on the same topic, that would be fine. -- CS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.