Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Aging a Nitro Lacquer finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by sh1000, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sh1000

sh1000 TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2007
    north miami florida
    What would be the best way to wear the finish on my 52 reissue? I've read everything i could find on relicing a nitro finish, but i would rather find another way to do it. Doesn't need to be an overnight thing. I have some patience.....I play a lot...and have a tendency to sweat when i play. I'm thinking maybe to never wipe my sweat off of it?

Has anyone ever used Naphtha on their guitar?

Here are some notes that came with my guitar that had me excited when i bought it:

"Have you ever seen a beautiful, heavily played, original 1954 Stratocaster, a 62 Jazz Bass or a 65 Guild D50with it's worn and checked lacquer finish , belt buckle scratches, and yellowing from years in smoky bars, and get that aching feeling of want in the pit of your stomach?....If so, we understand, completely!"

Thoughts?

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    It's a good thing that you have some patience, because step #1 involves waiting for winter, and then letting your guitar sit out and get really cold.

When it's cold, bring it inside and let it get warm really quick. If that doesn't check the hell out of your finish, nothing will. I'm not convinced that the poly sealer coats will let this happen.

Other than that, it's gotta get slightly beat up and grimey. Take some fine steel wool to it to knock the shine off the finish. Get it dinged up. Rub dirt into it. That super black stuff they have in the northern part of the midwest is best.

3. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

Dec 12, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    My guitar teacher did this by accident with his AV52 and was actually able to watch it check. The poly didn't make any difference...

4. BroadMaster

BroadMaster Tele-Afflicted

You can put a very soft blanket on the picnic table in the direct sunlight.
    Place your guitar on the blanket. Allow about 30- 60 minutes depending on when it's almost uncomfortable to touch.

Have a can of A/C refrigerant already hooked up to the dispensing hose.( all available at the automotive store). Slowly, just about 1/2 inch from surface of guitar, allow refrigerant to escape onto the guitar's paint job. [ don't disassemble the guitar. you want no checking to occur under the guard like it was taken apart, except for what might run under the edge of the guard or control plate cover. SAME goes for the bridge.]
    It should weather check nicely. you'll have to repeat these steps to do the back and sides.

This does not work with polyester finishes!

I have done this successfully on numerous occasions. It worked for me. Try it at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for you not following the previous instructions. It does however, work. Extreme exposure to florescent light will speed the yellowing also.
    Good Luck!
    Michael

5. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

Dec 12, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shake a can or air (like you get at Radio Shack) and spray it quickly - it will be very cold and safer than refrigerant...

6. sh1000

sh1000 TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2007
    north miami florida
    I was going to leave it in the sunlight (indoors). But,I think i'm most interested in dulling the shine. I used 320 grit sand paper to wet sand a small spot, but before i do the entire guitar i want to know that i can polish it to where it doesn't look like it was hit with sand paper. What would be the best technique to sand it? Go with the grain? How would i polish it back to where the surface is nice.

The upside down can of air trick works well (the spot i hit looks like it checked naturally), the guitar doesn't need to be out in the sun first. That might be overkill.

So, what about leaving my sweat on there?

7. BroadMaster

Depends on what level of age checking you're going for....
    M

8. BroadMaster

That is gonna be a slooooooowwwwww process of paint degradation.
    It'll certainly discolor the brass saddles or steel. Unless you are highly acidic,
    then it'll happen at an unknown accelerated rate, based on your sweat's ph factor.

9. BroadMaster

You also might try some 600 or 800 wet or dry. Not so much work to polish some age look into. Always sand with the grain, whenever. Polish with turtle Wax polishing compound or Meguiars or that famous 3M product.
    michael

10. mjtele

mjtele TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Carthage MO
    if yer tryin to just dull the finish, and u dont wanna see heavy scratching, use wet paper over 2000 grit..it will know off the shine, use warm water, let the paper soak overnight, its more affective that way..dont use 320!!!!

sleazy pot pie likes this.

11. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

... MJTELE iss here !!!!!

...Hay Mark, yew need tew change yer profile HEE! HEE!

...I haff uzed rubbing compound tew dull out the surface and tew make the arm wear and wear between the bridge and control panel look real. I uzed a polishin machine wheel but it muss be dunn with care cause its hard tew git burnz out.

...Glad yer still roun Mark, I hope all iss well in yer new werld. Noe more earthquakes???

...sh1000 be sure yew wanna dew that cause its real hard tew go back.

...HAY MARK! member iss here won? HEE! HEE!

(click onnit)
    [​IMG]

0le FUZZY

12. graphs

graphs Tele-Afflicted

Jul 10, 2007
    Toronto
    ^is that real?

if not, it's some of the most convincing artificial aging i've seen on a guitar.

13. 4Teles

4Teles Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2006
    hampton beach nh
    Stick it in a freezer for an hour. Then blow hot air from a heat gun or hair dryer to check it. Use the sandpaper to create some armwear. A rub a brick or a chunk of a patio block across edge of the body, concentrating on the back bottom to replicate years of leaning the guitar on the amp. Take the ashtray bridge cover and dip in the bottom edge in lacquer thinner, then quickly slip over the bridge plate and press down until the thinner evaporates. Repeat this until you have the desired effect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mjtele

mjtele TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Carthage MO
    hey fuzzy

hey Fuzzy..I emailed u when i left...Misery is nice..I love it here!!...i dont remember that Tele???..which one was that??

15. HiggyDude

HiggyDude Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    I saw a Fender Master builder relic a Lake Placid Tele in Tempe at a festival a few years ago. I was able to stand at the edge of the table right in front of him and watch him use belt buckles etc. To "check" the finish he took a can of compressed air used for electronics - made some comment about magic and sprayed the guitar body....the finish began checking immediately. He did this over the entire body of the guitar - when he was finsihed the whole body was checked. No dings and it cost a couple of bucks for the compressed air. No need for AC or refrigerator coolant.

16. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    Why on earth do you want to do that??? Does it improve the sound, or is it just to make it look older? :confused:

17. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Apr 6, 2007
    Toronto

18. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Are you sure it was compressed air, and not a can of Circuit Cooler used to cool electronics parts?

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/403a.html

19. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Niner Country
    Indeed.

20. 4Teles

4Teles Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2006
    hampton beach nh
    I love how the finish checking on this one came out! Really great job!!
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.