Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Agile Guitar Club-For the Thrifty Musician!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by twintwelve, Jan 25, 2011.

1. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations! HNGD!

The stock Humbuckers are pretty good for a guitar this price, but for me it took some tweaking of the pups to get them where I like them (height and poles). I also did a 50's rewire to mine, but I do that to most all my guitars, as I like the tones and the tone control response better than the modern wiring schemes.

I reorganized my Photobucket library, so the pictures on the previous page don't show, but she's a beauty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Yep. Agile DC Jr, or something like that. I'd have to look for it in a search.

Here's the headstock. Grover tuners, the P90 I'm very happy with. It is built like a tank. I'd add more pics, but can't figure out the multiple attachment deal.

Maybe a family shot?

Attached Files:

3. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Auburn, Georgia
    Finally got a decent pic...

[​IMG]

4. MadJack

GeorgiaHonk, very nice! Congrats, she's a beauty. I hope she sounds as good as mine.

5. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Auburn, Georgia
    Thanks, MJ!

6. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2014
    Alabama
    That CSB is nice, and you're lucky it's that light. They're heavy, but they were solid mahogany. I understand they're going to pancake style bodies to make 'em lighter.

I have an Agile, I LOVE mine.
    [​IMG]

7. MadJack

Just bought my second Agile. This one is a used AD-201 in TV Yellow. This one isn't available and was said to be discontinued, but Kurt just released the Natural Cherry last week. He got four in and still has three as of this post.

[​IMG]

It's a copy of the 1959-62 Gibson Melody Maker, with a few minor changes and in TV Yellow, which it originally only available in the Sunburst finish. Some of the other notable changes is the relocation of the output jack to the side and a thicker body, much like the LP Jr of that same time period.

This one has ceramic P90s, but they sound sweet, especially after I put on a set of Gretsch Chet Atkins Pure Nickel .011"-.048", wound .018" third strings. The pure nickels tamed the harshness of the ceramic magnets, without losing the bright tones and making the mids a bit richer.

The previous owner put a Wilkinson Compensated bridge on it, it's an okay bridge, but I will eventually try some other bridge(s), something with a bit more mass.

The body is a nice solid Mahogany (3 pc?) with a nice TV Yellow finish. You can just make out the green to highlight the grain underneath a mustard yellow translucent top coat. It is a poly finish with a nice gloss, but it's not too thick nor overly glossy.

As usual, I tweak the setup to my liking and it plays wonderfully. The gloss on the neck will need to be scuffed out, for faster play, but that is a personal preference.

[​IMG]
    Loki inspecting it to give her final approval.

Overall, another really nice Agile for the money.

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

they are a good bang for your buck. i have a blue one. looks green when photo tho.

the typical ebony board, maple top, buckers, etc.. im not a les paul kind of guy tho.. neck joint is uncomfortable for me..

chris.

9. CRMCRM

CRMCRM TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Stevens Point, WI
    SX and Douglas

I have an SX Tele style that I keep in my university office. I won't be heartbroken is it grows legs. I will just buy another.

Mine has the same problem as the guy with the YouTube rant. My office is not well humidified.I purchased a file for the fret ends.

I also have a Douglas LP style (bolt on neck) that I keep in the band's practice space.

Both are stock.

CRM

Attached Files:

10. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2004
    Out in the Woods
    Just acquired what they call a "Texan" Tele Knock-off 7-string.

Back when I was GAS'n for a baritone, everyone kept telling me to get a 7 string.

But I didn't listen.

Got the fever for one and everywhere I looked, couldn't get past the "shredder" image.

(Excuse me...I make MUSIC....NOT NOISE)!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Decided I wanted a 7-string Tele.

Rondo to the Rescue.

They put these on sale, and I bit.

Not expecting much...let me tell you I am very surprised and extremely pleased.

Intonated and almost in tune right out of the box, setup is spot on and action is really low (which I like).

Pickups are extremely HOT, not the usual crap that you expect from these Chinese clones.

I'll be spending some time with her getting used to the slightly wider neck.

But I already feel that I've been missing out on this since I wouldn't listen to all my buddies, who tried to talk me into a 7-string a while back.

11. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2008
    Berks County, PA
    I have 3 Gibsons and 4 Epiphones with P 90's. The god top Agile is just great, and I won't touch a thing on it, especially the pups. I did adjust the height and the pole pieces to get exactly what I want from them, but they are very '50's sounding...I have the bridge pup set up jangly and the neck pup a little jazzy, and I am more than happy with them.

I also tool off the PG, which makes is sound better :rolleyes:

12. LakeShow

LakeShow TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2013
    VA
    im really hoping they put a left handed gold top up soon with p90s... I used to wonder why people liked les pauls that didnt have PAF style HB pickups in it until I heard a phil x video of him playing a 50s GT with p90s.... so amazing... and MadJack that RB flame is so sexy

13. MadJack

My two Agiles:

[​IMG]

The Agile AL-3110 Rootbeer Flame Wide, my first guitar and my AD-201 T.V. Yellow, my most recent acquisition. I just swapped the magnets in the AD from the stock ceramic to A5s/UOA5s. Warmed up the tone to the classic mid-range-y P90 Growl you expect from P90 equipped guitars.

14. Buckman

Buckman TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Westchester, NY
    AL-3100MC

Well, I just got this last week. My first Agile. The setup was excellent right out of the box. The only things I've changed: pickup height, strings, bass side action (up a hair), and straplock buttons.

I played it last week with my band all day Saturday. It is one of the best playing guitars I've had. The action is ultra-low, which I like. The pups sound great and the split-coil tones are quite useful. With the band, I'm not yet sure about the pups. It seemed to lack just a bit of detail and punch last week. But, many factors influence subtle perception--temperature, relative humidity, overall levels, individual player performances, etc. So I am holding off on any swaps until I've worked out with the band a few times.

Beautiful instrument. And in about an hour, I'm driving north to meet a guy selling an AD-201 for 125. So I'll have two shortly.

Attached Files:

15. Buckman

Buckman TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Westchester, NY
    Douglas case

And I just ordered a Douglas case from Rondo. They have a digital camo hard case on sale for $25 today!

16. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I think you'll like that AD too. Nice neck & fairly light.

I missed out on a white case for $25 a couple months ago. Woulda matched my AD perfectly.

17. Buckman

Buckman TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Westchester, NY
    Well, they have the grey and white digital camo case right now for 25.

Ok, picked up the AD and just changed the strings and made some adjustments. And yes, I really like it too. Weird, it has an ebony board and the guy swore the P90s are alnicos. Most of what I could find on the net though, refers to rosewood and ceramic pups. Haven't checked the pups but the board is definitely ebony. And the pups sound great.

Attached Files:

• AD 1.jpg
      AD 1.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
    • ad2.jpg
      ad2.jpg
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
    • ad3.jpg
      ad3.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    • ad4.jpg
      ad4.jpg
      File size:
      38.3 KB
      Views:
  18. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Not 100% sure, but most of the Agile line has alnico pups. The SX, Douglas is where the ceramics come in, not that that's bad, just different. The ceramic P90s have stayed in my guitars.

I might have to order a guitar to put in a camo case ;)

19. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2007
    Grafton WI
    Here's mine... I've had it a long time... nice guitar... heavy... humidity really effects the neck, so most of the time it just hangs on the wall and looks pretty...

The first pic was an old one... Here's a pic of what she looks like now... I removed the pickguard and replaced the stock bridge PU with an old Duncan Distortion... It's closer to what I like than it was originally...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  20. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    2500? 2800?

I've got a 2800. Great guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.