Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Aftermarket Scratchplate

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by skingsford, Sep 16, 2018.

1. skingsford

skingsford NEW MEMBER!

Jul 6, 2018
    Melbourne, AU
    Hi all. I have a 1982 Japanese Squier Tele - probably my favourite guitar even though I have several vintage Fenders and a beautiful early 60s Gibson es330. The tele is great, but I always admired tortoiseshell scratchplates. I bought one on eBay, but I didn't realise the shape and screw hole configuration were different from US teles. Can anyone tell me where I might find one to fit my guitar. Thanks.

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    I am not necessarily recommending that link, just using it as an example.

Unfortunately, some tortoiseshell material is printed like a color newspaper, you can see the dots.

4. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    There are a lot of pickguard companies that will make a custom pickguard for you, and some are not very expensive. Some of them have a list of guitar models that they have pickguard templates for, if yours isn't listed you just make a tracing of your yours and they'll make it from that. You can pick the type, thickness, how many plys, and the color. The only one that I can think of at the moment is Pickguardian.
    Maybe somebody can suggest other companies. I haven't looked for while.
    Al

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I've had several different pickguards on my 1993 Korean Fender Squier Tele, and have had to make a few adjustments on several. I've had great success with other Fender parts fitting this particular guitar, so I don't know if the lack of exact pickguard fit is a flaw of the guitar, or the pickguard maker. At any rate, I hope you're able to use a tortoise 'guard.....I LOVE 'em.....

6. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Ready to use aftermarket pickguards rarely fit without adjusts, even the best ones I guess. I have just bought a "perfect fit" one for my MIM Precision and 5 holes simply don't match by a 1-2 mm difference.
    Best option is always a taylor made.

nojazzhere likes this.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    If you look around there are sometimes ones available with no screw holes.

Strats are more of a crapshoot than Teles - I have tech customers order the pickguard because there's a decent chance that even a "matching" one won't fit existing screw holes cleanly or the neck pocket cutout is off on one side or the depth. There are fewer problems with Fender's replacements but still sporadic issues, Allparts seem to be OK about 70% of the time, and no-name eBay guards are about 50/50.

8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I have a 100% success rate with cheap chinese pickguards and Indonesian and Chinese Squiers...

Hughmart likes this.

9. skingsford

skingsford NEW MEMBER!

Jul 6, 2018
    Melbourne, AU
    Thanks for your replies guys. I will try to get one without screw holes. Cheers, Simon.

10. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca
    www.pickguards.com will make you whatever you want from a tracing of your old pickguard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.