Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

After much trepidation... 5E3

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Preacher, Oct 15, 2017.

1. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Pic is great but I still can’t tell for sure. Is your bus soldered to the pots?

2. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    The input jacks are and the tone control is through the orange drop cap. But the two volume controls are grounded to the back of the pot. I will try to throw a ground line on there and see what happens. If could be a hum that is coming through them, and going through the tone pot at the end.

3. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Anybody looked at the voltages? Do they seem OK?

4. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    V2 is looking a little fishy but having a 12au in there may be the reason. Do you have an ax to put in there so we can see a more common reading

Au type can be noisy too

5. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    you can swap the tubes around so the ax is V2 and the au is V1. Then notice if the noise is affected by the volume and tone controls. and take voltage readings from the V2

6. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    your PT is ever so elusive in your pictures... :) Does your PT have a heater center tap?

7. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I have a spare AX so I will check it with that.

8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Your photos are hard to follow and the lighting isn't great. Maybe take separate close-up pics of each component that folks have asked about, i.e.: the 5Y3 socket, the PT wiring, power tubes, preamp tubes.

9. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    IMG_1366.JPG

This is the schematic that the tranny was used. I think it is an old VTX model.

10. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Working with a camera phone is not the best... will work on getting some better pics.

I did see that I am missing joining the grounds on the volume controls. I am going to ground them to the bus and see if that maybe helps the grounding issue.

As I said a few post back, if I push down on the board it seems like there is a bad ground as the hum stops. I may have a ground loop that is caused by the pots attached to the chassis and nowhere else.

stay tuned...

11. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    If pushing on the board changes things... I always look for cold joints.

JuneauMike likes this.

12. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Preacher, did you build your Cab? Curious as I am starting mine in a couple of weeks.

13. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Well no, but I have a good excuse.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tynosynovitis-surgury.783983/

The surgery seems to be good, I have better flexibility in that finger but the stitches just came out on Friday, and I am still gaining strength in that finger. So no wood working for a little while.
    And the fact that I had a 1x12 of really nice white pine for the cab in my shop that somehow grew legs and walked away, or is hiding in a corner, or I cut it up and used for kindling...

but stay tuned, I got a new table saw so finger joints are an option!

Urshurak776 likes this.

14. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I hope all goes well!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.