Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

After a trip to the Dentist I purchased a PRS.....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by CK Dexter Haven, Jun 13, 2018.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Must have been all that gas... (ba dum dum)

Seriously; on the way back from my bi weekly "we can rebuild him" session at the UMd dental school I stopped in to GC to look at their SGs. I had the proceedes from selling "the Silver Bullet" the '02 Honda Civic w/ 200K+ that I got from my MIL a few years back. It finally needed more work than I was prepared to do, so I got the wifes '08 (175K) and $800 bucks from Car Max. The wife got a new Subie so I negotiated a new guitar as part of the deal.
    They had one Gibby in my price range a used faded from the year dot (w/ the half moon markers) and were asking $629 for it sans sack.

In tha corner was a clearance S2-24 in Satin, not a SE a real live "Made in Murland" S2, $699. complete w/ bag (it's a nice bag) and all the candy, still sealed in the plastic. No issues. Not exactly a SG but it works for me. I have had a few SE's and they are nice but this sounds and plays a bit better, and seems a touch lighter.

Nice guitar, guess I will need to take the tour..Gone "Downy Ocean" next week, perhaps I can stop on the way.

Catalog pix below.

S224FrontBack.jpg

AAT65, studio1087, gitold and 3 others like this.

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Nice!

Is this a keeper, or are you just 'filling' up your collection for now? <I'll get my coat...> :D

AAT65 and radiocaster like this.

3. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Well the collection is a amalgam of things...

AAT65 and Anode100 like this.

4. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Nice!

I loves me some dot-neck Paul Reed Smiths...

I have an ‘09 McCarty with a mild top and the suns and moons. Tobacco burst, nice understated look, and a lovely player.

CK Dexter Haven likes this.

5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    ...at least don't stick to root chords on that thing...

Sollipsist likes this.

6. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I will try to work up "Crown of Creation.."

7. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Hey hon!
    Ya gonna come up to Dundalk and show it off sometime??? Maybe we hit Jimmy’s on Holabird Avenue and git is some crabs and Natty Boh

8. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I ain't been downa tere since da Poncabird closeded up..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

9. MrCairo46

I had an S 2 Custom 24, loved it but a while later had a chance to get an Al Dimeloa in Prism finish.
    Loved it more.

10. MrCairo46

Squires for pizza man.... new place called Maryland Blue Crab is where Sonny Minnicks was. Had their fried shrimp tonite

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I hate to tell you, but you got it all wrong. It is not the dental patient, it is the dentists that have PRSs.;)

Paul in Colorado and Alamo like this.

12. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Wonderfully hilarious! Few years back i went thinking to buy a PRS and came out with an SG special.. on sale.

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Nice axe - congrats!

I love the similarities between Balmer and Philly accents. You guys go downy ocean, we go Donna Sure. I guess Donna would be more Pittsburg - Philly is more like Downa Sure, but it's a REAL long and hard "U" in Sure...

-Ray

14. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Nice. Now you're going to have to practice some drills.

15. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

May 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    The really hardcore speakers of Bawlmerese go downey ayshin.

For everyone outside the Mid-Atlantic region that has no idea what we're talking about:

--Mark

16. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Congrats!!
    My ex-bandmate had an S2-24 Satin and it was a great guitar!

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    That's a great guitar. $699! You bank robber! Nice. Congratulations.

I love a good domestic deal.

19. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    That's OK, Balmer and Phhlhlhly (I can't spell the phlegmy way those "L"s in Philly aren't really pronounced) need soppum all are one (as in "cone"). It's one of the weirder accents in the US, if you accept the way people in the deep south speak as normal... Kinda funny, I've lived most of my life between Baltimore (lived slightly north in Pikesville) and Philly (live southwest in West Chester, a bit closer to Wilmington, DE, where they also talk the same kind of funny) and I don't really have either accent. I've heard recordings of myself as a little Balmer kid and I definitely had that then. But then I grew up in the Southwest where there really isn't an accent and I got that. And every time I'd go back to Balmer to visit, people would tell me I had an accent! I've lived in the Philly area long enough to pick up little bits of it again, but I really don't have it. I love it thought.

Balmer and Philly are REAL cities, where so many people have lived all their lives, not a lot of imports or folks from other countries. They're kind of provincial but that gives 'em a lot of soul. I lived for years in the southwest and northwest and I love those areas too, but so many people out there are imports from the east, the midwest, from California. And everyone who's there seems to have chosen to be there. Which gives it a whole other type of energy - and it's really GOOD energy, but there's a certain sense of place missing all the same. I've lived a few place and liked 'em all, but I think we're gonna stay around here for the duration unless our kids pull us in some other direction...

-Ray

markal likes this.

20. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    One of my friends just emailed and said he picked up one of these PRS SE Paul Allender with a hard case for $400! Bats for inlays!
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.