Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Affordable Guitar Amp for gigging without PA

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TimoR, Jan 10, 2019.

1. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    Roland Cube 60.
    And later...for The Upgrade add a Tech 21 Blonde Private Stock (see YouTube) and I don't think You'll ever need any other Amp or even desire another Amp again.

I wish this system was available in 1978 or for that matter 1973!!!

markfowler54 likes this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Welcome, @TimoR! Ok. The Champion 100 is only 40 lbs. that’s not a heavy amp. I’m in my 40s and carry my 40lb amp up and down a narrow, long, winding staircase. So if you love the tone of the Champion and it’s loud enough, unless you have a physical limitation preventing safely carrying 40lbs, get it.

The comp to the Champion 100 is not the Katana 50. The 50 lacks giggable volume unless you are in a very quiet band or will always mic. The comp is the Katana 100. It also happens to sound MUCH better than the 50 IME. Fuller, less focused, more dynamic, clearer. Sit down with the shop and have them show you how to set it. To avoid fizz, Gain lower than Channel volume. Set those two to get the tone and feel you want with the master on about 50% (loud) and then use the master to set the right level. Mids up above 60% really fills out the sound. I gigged a Katana 100 in a loud punk band with a loud drummer, no problem. Crunch channel has really nice "edge" of breakup type cleans.

I would say avoid cheap 15-20w tube amps as they likely will not have enough headroom unless you are a very quiet band or always mic. Note, the average age on this page is likely older than me so you’ll get a lot of recommendations for older technology. Current technology is fine.

I think you have a great solution in either the Champion or the Katana (100). Have fun!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    JayFreddy likes this.
  3. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

May 29, 2018
    Somewhere In TX
    +1 on the Fender Mustang III V2. I've gigged live with mine, for about two years. You can get some great tones with it in a band setting, and it's convenient to have all your effects right in the amp. You can easily play shows without it running through a PA. I never really had to run mime above 4 on the master volume. You may want to mess with some of the presets and adjust the settings to your taste, but this is really a nice little amp. I am a young musician as well. Good luck on your search! :)

RadioFM74 and Vespa_One like this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Plain ol’ Fender Frontman 212 is a good choice, and can be had cheap, when bought used.

JayFreddy and richey88 like this.
  5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Fender Frontman or Power Chorus, or Peavey Bandit. The fender is probably lighter, especially if you find a 212 bandit.

I did almost all of my young gigging without going through a PA - the singer, keyboards and drummer went through the PA. Another guitarist and I went amp only. I think 1x12s can be a bit harsh live compared to 2x12 or 3x10 type amps. I don't know why that is, but I still have that opinion.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  6. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2014
    Boston
    +2 on the Mustang III v2. You can get one used for around $200 or less. It has all the main effects and 100 presets to play around with. And it's powerful at 100W.

LocoTex and Vespa_One like this.
  7. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    Blackstar HT Club 40 MkII.

I have a review on my YouTube channel, but the sound isn't great as it was clipping really badly. I'm a newb to recording with mics, so my apologies.

"Old Guy's Guitar Vlog" is the name of my channel.

I love mine. Clean channel with two voicings. Overdrive channel with two voicings. Takes pedals amazingly well and has an Fx Loop.

Can be had for about $750, but I highly recommend getting the upgraded footswitch for $80. Adds a boost channel which ROCKS.

8. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

May 15, 2018
    Australia
    Looks like Orange have a new SS pedal platform amp. Pedal Baby 100. Not sure of the price in Euro but may be worth a look. Andertons have a review.

9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    There are a number of acoustic amp rigs that have two channels, one with an XLR mic input. That's your deal. Fishman, Roland, Peavey and more have them. Some are pretty cheap.

10. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2004
    NEPA USA
    In my experience, the Roland/Boss stuff is uniformly excellent. I don't gig, but I rehearse at gig volume with a drummer and bass player, and PA for vocals. I use a Roland Cube 60 with an additional 12" speaker cab. Portable, reliable, cheap and plenty of volume to keep up.

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    After persistent comments about and suggestions for tube amps and used amps, despite the OP's stated preferences to the contrary, I think we need to review Timo's parameters, whether stated or implied.

Timo referred to but did not actually state a price range, in euros or dollars. But he did say "a very tight budget." The two amps he cited, the Katana 50 and the Champion 100, can be used as reference points here, which would be $230 - $400 (or approx. 200 - 350 euros).

He also said "It should be SS." Again, his citation of the Champion 100 and Katana 50 are clues here.

Size and/or weight seems to be a factor, so grab-and-go portability. I'm more than three and a half times the age of this young man, but even at 18 I don't think I would have enjoyed schlepping the 40 lb. (18.2 kg) 2x12" Champion 100 "up and down one very narrow staircase and then another set of stairs."

The amp in question needs to be loud enough on its own for pub gigs that don't have a PA, and "to compete with a loud drummer." Once more, 50 watts and 100 watts are what he's looking at.

Availability in Germany. Although that's hard to judge from here in South Texas, the parameter of "a new guitar amp" helps define what recommendations to give. And I suppose a city the size of Paderborn (approx. 150K) has a decent music store or two. And of course there's always ordering online.

12. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

May 15, 2018
    Australia
    There is a lot of discussion on Analogue SS amps taking boost pedals better than SS Digital. Maybe someone with experience can chime in to give the OP something to consider on purchase.
    I would have thought a 35w Analogue SS would be better with a boost pedal rather than a 50w Digital that doesnt take pedals well. I don't have experience with this but interested to find out.

13. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    Such a a good little amp. In no way would I tried it for my extreme awesome misses.

14. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I agree that 40 lbs for the Champion 100 isn't very heavy. But I wouldn't want to tote it on a train.

The Katana 50 is much lighter and easier to transport, but if you don't like the sound, why are you considering it?

I recently made a down payment on a Katana 100 head.

It is only 24 lbs (11 kg) and has a built in 5" speaker for home practice.

If you're playing a gig where you need a bigger speaker, you will probably have access to a car.

The downside is that the head costs the same as the 112 combo version. If you're strictly on a budget, the Katana 100 combo might be a better value for you. No speaker cabinets required.

Again, use the acoustic setting for your clean tones. I got my Katana head mostly for pedal steel.

If you haven't tried the 50 through the acoustic channel yet, try that first.

15. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004

Here is your answer if you can find one.

Check out on Youtube what Johan Segeborn does with one of these.

16. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    Mark me +3
    Excellent Fender tones (imagine that)
    I prefer the clean sound over the Katana.
    36lbs

17. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    So much fact, opinion stated as fact, fantasy, and utter BS in one thread. Must be TDPRI! :D

C’mon people - can you really believe that a 53lb Blackstar club 40 or a Fender FM 2x12 combo is gonna be fun to lug up and down narrow stairways? We must have a lot of bodybuilders here! ;)

LocoTex likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    A used Orange th30 would be a good choice, or an Egnater as already mentioned. Better to get a decent amp straight up imo as you will end up doing so anyway down the track. The Orange is 2 channel, really nice sparkly clean or killer overdrive with as much gain as you could ever want and switchable from 7, 15 or 30watts. Also has an FX loop. All tube. Other than if you want delay or modulation etc you can get by without pedals with the Orange.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Or, at the very least, a consistent refusal to answer the question the OP is asking within the confines of the parameters he set out (not tube, not used, etc.)

Then again, this could all be for naught anyway. It's been a day and a half since the OP posted. Timo joined and posted his one comment on TDPRI, this thread, and hasn't checked back in. Maybe he'll check back in eventually, but it could be like so many others through the years, he signs on to ask about his one specific question, and then is never heard from again. Time will tell, I guess.

20. luckett

luckett Banned

Jun 14, 2011
    Twin Reverb

aerhed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.