Affordable booster or overdrive for (really) clean boost.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tornado, Jan 23, 2019.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

Well, the RC in the Xotic RC booster supposedly stands for "really clean."

The Donner Boost Killer is a (semi) clone of this, apparently. I have one of these. It's nice. With the gain right down, I think it will do what you want, but so much depends on variables, like amp, guitar, settings of both, playing style, and so on. There's no real way of knowing until you try. Hopefully the suggestions here will narrow things down though. At least with a Donner Boost Killer, it would be a cheap exploration.

Pax/
    Dean

blues bondsman likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

that Donner boost killer is awesome
    Also a mini dano "fish n chips" EQ will get you there

3. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Donner Boost killer
    at around 30 bucks ( I got mine used for 25 shipped ).

I also use it after my Route 66 Compressor for perfect overdriven tones that are clean till I dig in and then my tube amp Growls !!!

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like the lowly E-H LPB-1.
    It does much the same thing as the (expensive, boutique) Beano Boost, but with less hiss.
    Adds boost and cut.
    I run mine by itself and after a TS9 to take the mud out.

jddub440, 545454 and nojazzhere like this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't mention some of these other pedals as I understood the OP to mean "keep it clean".

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the LPB-1......BUT....the one from the seventies (that plugs into guitar and uses a little slide switch) is much CLEANER than the newer foot pedal model. Don't know why, but I've tried several, and they all seem to be this way.

jddub440 likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I use an EQ pedal - the MXR 6 band. You can get whatever kind of boost you want.

8. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an Orange Two Stroke, it will definitely do this. Seems like any booster will. Using a graphic or parametric EQ might just let you dial it in a bit more as it sounds like you're after something pretty subtle and specific. I'd be interested to hear the final result as to me it sounds like you're possibly not after "transparent".

Define affordable though.. everything Xotic seems expensive to me. My Orange Two Stroke I kind of consider expensive too (~$150), to me affordable usually means < $100.

9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I already had overdrive, so all I wanted was boost. Got it with a BBE Boosta Grande.

No compression, hardly any crunch - at least not below noon. I keep it at the front of my board dialed to around eleven or twelve o'clock and just use it for solos.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

+1 for the Full TC Spark Boost. The gain is there if needed but boost is its bread and butter.

11. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

The best I’ve personally found for what you describe is the TC Mini Spark. I actually changed the Spark out recently for a Tumnus Deluxe so that I could roll off some top end for a lead tone. So I only changed out the Spark because it was boosting everything in my tone exactly, including all the top end. For a lead boost, I wanted something with less than the original amount of treble which was present in my rhythm tone.

Before the Tumnus Deluxe, I also bought a Mooer Pure Boost (which I assume is the same as the Donner recommended on this thread). I did not find the Mooer anywhere near as transparent as the Spark. I found it to have more mids and more distortion. This is not a bad thing for boosting an overdriven tone, but it’s not what the OP has asked for. In my opinion, there is more clean boost in the Spark than the Mooer.

The Tumnus Deluxe is very, very versatile. But I think it’s natural tendency is towards slightly fatter midrange tones than the tonally transparent clean boost of the Spark.

12. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

I have a Donner Boost Killer. I don't think it will do what you want. Mine can add a lot of bass, and thickens up the sound, but not so sure about presence/sharpness.

I seldom use it, to me it sounds better just turning my amp up.

I think the EQ suggestions would work. Don't know about the other pedals suggested.

13. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

HA! To me an "affordable pedal" means < $60.

nojazzhere and drewcp like this.
  14. Tornado

Tornado TDPRI Member

I think affordable is <90.

15. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Tone city bad horse

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

For super clean boost.. nothing I have found beats an MXR microamp.

Lots of others either change the eq or compress/dirty the tone. Volume / loudness does effect your perception of the tone.

I either use my MXR either at the end of any effects or in the loop as a solo volume lift.

The EQ idea is neat too. My Mesa rig has an EQ and you can set the sliders all positive and use it as a shaped gain boost. You can find might need to roll off the top end a bit depending on how the amp responds and begins to break up.

17. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Definitely a Boosta Grande!

18. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Boss BD2 w/gain turned to zero

19. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Probably outside your $$ comfort zone, but I really like my Bad Bob boost pedal -- mine is an original built by Robbie, and its been on my board ever since. Given its based on the "JFET mu-amp" design of Jack Orman (lots of schematics/layouts out there), you could build one relatively inexpensively if you are the DIY type.

20. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 TDPRI Member

Using Barbershop preamp front boost, similar to JHS Clover for pristine cleans, sag and tweed. Back boost Ikon and/or Timmy as EQ.

YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.