Affinity Squire Tele to Esquire build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TeleZee, May 14, 2019.

1. TeleZee

TeleZee TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Another update to my build. Thought I had it ready to start putting it together, but I ran into a bridge issue. The original Affinity bridge was gone and the others are not suitable. As it's a top loader body, I do have a top loader bridge plate which is about a 1/4 " longer than a standard Telecaster.

Even when I push the bridge forward until the pick-up contacts the body, the brass saddles are just reaching 25.5" with no room to move on the adjuster bolts. (back yes, forward no) The front edge of the plate is approx. 3/8 " front the pick guard.

The saddles are about 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 away from the back of the bridge...

Not sure if I want to make the bolts longer as it might look weird. any thoughts?

2. TeleZee

will post some pix next time

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

You will never need to go "forward" (towards the nut) from the scale length (unless you do something weird like compensate the nut). Compensation always adds length to the open string. You can actually calculate the amount of compensation to be added to each string using this

https://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/compensation.htm

4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Fill the old holes, measure out the scale length, and attach a couple of E strings to your new bridge and the tuners so you can line it up from side to side as well. Mark the new screw hole positions, and drill the new holes out. If you are using a rear loader, look around on this forum for a guide to drilling out ferrule holes too. You can totally do this without buying another bridge.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

on second thought, whatever it I said, I redact until I see pictures....

6. TeleZee

7. TeleZee

any thoughts, am I on the right track?

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The distance to the break over point of your high e saddle should be at a minimum the scale length with room to go backward away from the nut. The bass/lower strings will require more compensation than the higher tuned strings when compared to each other.

I always move my saddles about 85-90 percent forward when mounting my bridges. This allows for a little wiggle room forward justin case the mounting screw holes are off a bit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.