Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Affinity Squire Tele Pick Ups Update

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by telcarl, May 21, 2018.

1. telcarl

telcarl TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Denver CO
    I have a 2017 Affinity Squire Telecaster with the stock (production) neck and bridge pick ups. Removing the pick guard, I can see that both pick ups have a white and black wire. I purchased a set of Dimarzio Twang King pick ups (neck and bridge) and they too have a white and black wire. I am thinking that the installation of the Twang Kings would be to simply remove the stock pick ups and wire in the Twang Kings to the same black and white wires, correct?

Also, I have read and watched You Tube videos on the orange capacitor upgrade. Although this is a simple mod, I have not heard that there is any noticeable difference that anyone could recognize? Your thoughts?

Many Thanks

2. Solszewski1963

Solszewski1963 TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2018
    Missoula MT
    Hi Telcarl. I have a 2018 Affinity that I love. The stock electronics are more than decent, and the orange capacitor upgrade will help get that hot country quack. It is an easy mod, but you'll need to do some simple soldering. I definitely hear the difference between orange and not orange. I usually do my own mods, but for my new, incredibly orange Affinity, I ordered the vintage Tele harness from Stewmac - better pots, switches, capacitors- including the orange cap. it's easy to install, and sounds great. Disclaimer: I have no relationship with StewMac, other than being a satisfied customer.

RE: Twang King installation - Yes, you just have to wire the Twang Kings to the same solder points as your original pickup. I hope that this helps.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    my 2017 affinity , I loved the pickups but the wiring , pots and switch were very cheap, I replaced the wiring with shielded pull back wire and the pots with CTS pots and a real fender switch , the tone cap is called a chicklet ( for obvious reasons) I did replace mine with an Orange drop , the sound of the guitar did not change but I have the piece of mind that the parts wont fail prematurely or wear out sooner than not, the only other thing to consider is a good switchcraft jack.

parts list for this kind of mod:

CTS pots 250K ( X2)
    Switchcraft jack
    .022 Uf orange drop cap
    Fender stock 3 way switch
    cloth covered shielded pull back wire ( fender stock wire)

you should be able to get these at any major music store that sells fender as well as Stewmac

wiring is straight forward

wiring-diagram-stock-three-way-strat.jpg

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    That has an extra capacitor and resistor on the volume pot. Is that a “treble bleed” circuit? I know the grease-bucket circuit is off of the tone pot. But I didn’t think either of those were standard.

5. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    yes that is a treble bleed , my Affinity guitar did not have a trecle bleed , and I never installed one on it, this circuit I pulled off of the net

6. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    telecaster-switch.jpg

this is the circuit I used

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Yes, that's the post 1968 standard wiring.

But I don't get why they run the ground from the capacitor all the way to the volume pot. Ground is ground and they are all grounded together... All they had to do, and what is done on the Squiers, is ground the cap right to the back of the tone pot. That way it's a lot more stable, a lot less fragile and does the exact same thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.