Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Affinity pack tele vs affinity tele.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Aug 11, 2017.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Hey i have bought few.months ago a squier tele affinity telecaster in Bsb. The one i have was made in Indonesia and its string thru body, it was stand alone not a squier pack. I have asked guitar center about it since it suppoused too be top loader, they have responded that the production line they recived was separated from squier packs, same goes to amps and cables.

I would like to get second tele affinity for support. However not BSB, i am thinking of Arctic White, how different they can be from Butterscotch ? I known they are top loader. Any differnces compared to regular pack affinities ? Neck, production, pickups quality ?

Also, why affinity butterscotch blonde color seems a bit orange ? :p

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10

[​IMG]

Grux and radiocaster like this.

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    to me the Chinese Affinity and the Indonesian Affinity are completely different:
    • pickups (don't sound anything alike to me)
    • nut width (42mm on my Indonesians)
    • had older model Chinese Affinity with 500 k pots (have not checked any "new" ones yet)
    • more "rattling" of the saddles on top load Affinity
    but these (or some of these) differences might be better to your taste.

It seems like the (indonesian) Pack Affinity might now be discontinued. I liked it very much. It feels like a "Standard" - light.

The BSB does seem a little orange, and I think it gets "worse" after a few years (but that might be a feeling)

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    As i understood correctly, pickups are worse than indonesian one , bridge buzzes, pots are 500 instead of 250 and neck is slighty slimmer ?

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    That's my experience, more or less, yes.

Some people like the Chinese pickups better. I don't. I have three Indonesian Affinity teles and all three of them sound great.

Pots might be 500 K. I've heard a lot of differences about that. My Chinese Affinity had 500 k pots, making it sound ice picky cold... I thought I read someone measured his 2016 Affinity (one of the new colours) and it had 250 k pots.

Mine (a metallic red Affinity) does not have a slimmer neck, but a more narrow neck (40.6 at the nut vs 42 mm). But Affinity necks apparently are found in very different forms and shapes. Some are fatter, some are slimmer. The fact that they are narrow seems to be a constant.

About the saddles, I suppose that has to do with the design of the top load bridge used on the Affinity. that stringing seems to push the saddles up and down at the same time...

If you consider a second telecaster, and budget is limited, you could try a (Indonesian) standard. Quality is about the same as the Indonesian Affnity, but with a full thickness body and (to me) even better sound Alnico pickups.

The Squier Standard is the unsung hero in the current Squier line. I

LooseJack likes this.

7. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    I saw standard telecaster by squier, but well they dont have maple neck i love. :p

8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    This kind of creamy color i expected. While my tele looks a bit too orange

9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I recently bought an arctic white one. It's Chinese and topload.

I had already picked out the BSB pack guitar (string through) as the one I wanted. Weeks ago. But, careful shopper that I am, I picked up a a few more. Probably 8-10 different affinity teles in various colors. The one I bought was an immediate fit. I don't know why. It felt better before I even strummed a chord on it. And played just like I hoped it would. So then I did a hard A/B between that one and the pack BSB. There was just some special mojo in the one I bought. Played easier, sounded sweeter acoustically and I liked the pickups better.

I'll be the first to say that the BSB was easily better than ALL the other colored, top-load, Chinese teles in the store that day. EXCEPT the particular one that I bought.

My hypothesis is that the QC is lower on these cheaper guitars. And occasionally all the right mistakes are made to make one better, instead of worse.

So my advice is to play a bunch of them. Keep trying them out. One will fit.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

10. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland

I havent had a possibility to test them. Local store in my town has poor supplies , mostly crap Ibanez guitars. I heard that Tele Squier BSB pack are highest quality affinites, one ive got is impressive expect colour is quite orange. It is true that 1 out of 10 Squier Tele packs might be in worse quality. I might look around again for affinites,. is this Arctic white more creamy white or regular snow white? Some photos ;d ?

11. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    It's pretty creamy. The white pick guard stands out. It's at the office. I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow when I'm there.

One thing about the butterscotch is that they have a transparent finish - which makes me think they choose the best looking wood for those bodies, and use the uglier wood for painting.

About that orange color: it comes off pretty easily. A putty knife, heat gun, a little sandpaper and about an hour will give you a nice clean body ready to paint whatever color you like. It'll take rattle can just fine. I really like the affinity series because of the solid alder bodies that are 1.5" thick (instead of 1.75" standard). And they are easy to mod and paint.

13. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    I picked up a 2012 Affinity in BSB with black pick guard a few months ago. It was strung through and the neck had a skunk stripe. I wouldn't call it a translucent finish, you could see barely any grain. I imagine it was from a pack as it was Indonesian not Chinese. Perhaps they put more paint/lacquer on them if the timber is not so good. I stupidly sold it soon after for a profit but I wish I'd hung on to it.

14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I agree!

Especially now that they seem to be discontinued, I'm glad that I have a few.

I think it's the leftovers from the other Indonesian models that are used for the bodies. In essence, I think the Indonesian bodies were just not good (or thick) enough to be used for other models. The little grain I see makes me doubt the fact that they could be alder. But whatever wood they are, they are good.

If I'd find another one for the right price, I'd buy it.

15. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    I just bought a new SX STL50 telecaster in lake placid blue to replace the Squier I sold. See my post in the Owners Club section. Very pleased with it and it cost me less than the money I got for the 2nd hand Squier so doubly pleased.

16. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    You know, I have not played my Affinity Tele in months now. I forget what it sounds like tbh, I like the action on it but the neck feels like a baseball bat in my hand. maybe I will crack it out of its case later today and have a play.. Sorry about not answering your question, I dont know the answer.. :lol:

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    In addition to the string-thru bridge, does it also have:

an adjustable neck pickup?
    basswood body (almost no grain visable)?
    rw or maple neck?
    skunk stripe?
    black or white nut?
    black nylon nut adjustment sheath on the peghead?

It sounds like you may have an FSR (which is a misnomer with houses like MF, that end up ordering MORE guitars than Fender's regular production) more akin to a Bullet. The basswood body requires more tinting than the Affinity's Alder body, hence the orangeness. And finally, "bsb" is often misapplied to natural, even by Fender. True Butterscotch blonde is a milky creamy color that mutes the grain, while natural accents the grain. We now get an inversion, with correct Classic Vibe butterscotch color over wicked grain, natural on the Affinity, and "natural" tinted to offset the lack of grain in basswood. Its always fun sorting out the moving targets....

18. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Guitar has Adjustable Neck Pickup
    Grain is only slighly visible
    Maple neck
    (i dont get the patr about skunk stripe...)
    White nut
    Yes Black Nulon Nut Adjustment

The Coloru Feels like Creamy Caramel.
    I have no idea about wood, but for sure its light and grain is just slighty visible.

So you basically say that i might bought worse quality guitar than original affinity ? Let me guess, shop needed to get quickly a few more guitars so fender was forced to make it asap with worse materials...?

I never noticed these things, now i have looked into the page and im seeing it. Parts are different so is wood.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Not necessarily. Affinity's are $199, and Bullets are $149. Personally, I'd rather have the Bullet with the string-thru and adjustable neck pickup. The lighter basswood body might be favorable as well. I like both, and wouldn't bat an eye if they were the same price.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

20. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Or somebody who bought the pack wanted another color, and they exchanged it, and got left with a pack Affinity without the pack.
    In that case, you got the bargain, not the person that bought it originally.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

21. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Thanks, it made me think now i got better than i could imagine :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.