Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Affinity FSR with matching headstock

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by hellopike, May 10, 2017.

1. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia

2. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    The more I look at it, I think the orange might look real nice with gold hardware and a pearl white guard.... ;)

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Orange looks great on a Gretsch but that one doesn't do anything for me. Also, single coil/up in the bridge? JMHO

4. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Crickets... here's the orange metallic, there's also a black metallic finish. $199 at guitacenter/amazon/who knows where else.

IMG_1631.jpg IMG_1632.jpg

5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    I don't know....
    Weird color for a tele- and the humbuckers. Seems schizophrenic. It can't decide what it wants to be when it grows up.
    If it plays and sounds good- I'm sure it would quickly grow on me

6. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    I think you're right... it's too awkward of a color for the matching headstock.. I tried a couple variations on kisekae and didn't like the results as much as I though i might.

Attached Files:

68Telebass likes this.

7. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Meister

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands
    I like the look and I'd give it a go with the humbuckers just for a different sound. Depends how it plays and sounds but in theory I'm up for it.

8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I'm in favour of any combination that is "different".

And I think Fender is too... do many of us need another telecaster with two single coil pickups? I think most of us have at least one, and problably more than one. But we might be tempted to buy one more guitar, if it is different enough.

So Fender decides to answer our "hunger" for something different with guitars like these, not to please us, but to earn money. Nothing wrong there. We are consumers, they earn money.

I just wish the orange affinity with two humbuckers and the matching headstock was available over here... I'd buy it.

Mr Scallywag likes this.

9. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Oh, I'm all with you there- anything different is good. I love when fender decides to try something that differs from the tradition. My telecaster of choice is a Silverburst- I know from out of the ordinary... it's just something about the choices on this that don't quite go together for me... but hopefully enough people do like it that they continue to try new stuff.

10. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    I will say this about the new colors in the Affinity line whether Strat or Tele, after seeing them in person at the local shop they are beautiful, the new Red is vibrant a tiny tint to the orange side, the Gunmetal runs more to silver, very nice and the Seafoam/Surf Green (?) is gorgeous too. These shades are far better than the usual tones offered in lower end Squiers (anyone remember that blah, dark "Navy Blue" (?)).

11. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    What, they couldn't have done the matching headstock on the Surf Green model? :cry:

hellopike likes this.

12. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    the gunmetal grey is not a new color, it was in 2013. There is a new silver-ish grey called "slick silver", that's probably why it looks like silver.
    And the green one is called "race green"...
    The only one I don't really like is the red one, but the four other new colours are great in my opinion.

13. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, but this thread was in regard to two new color options with matching headstocks.

14. Saw a Jazz Mass, Strat and Tele in with Gold Hardware and white pickguards a music store window in Albuquerque Christmas day, 1963. Folks, they were beautiful; even better than the chocolate cake I had !

15. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    And I was responding to the post above mine and not your initial post... and that's why I quoted that post. On a forum such as this one post leads to another....

>> I was responding to "the new colors in the Affinity line whether Strat or Tele, after seeing them in person at the local shop they are beautiful, the new Red is vibrant a tiny
    >> tint to the orange side"

I thought that was about the 2016 Affinity SS color because the new Affinity HH is obviously orange if they call it "metallic orange", and the 2016 colour is a bit orange looking in my opinion too...

>> , the Gunmetal runs more to silver,
    So, since the post I quoted was obviously about the regular Affinity SS (because as far as I know there is no new silver/grey FSR Affinity now), I stated that there were 2 types of grey: a 2013 gun metal grey and a 2016 slick silver. I suppose he had the names mixed up.

>> very nice and the Seafoam/Surf Green (?) is gorgeous too.
    Here i think he is referring to the FSR Bullet in Surf Green, but this time I might have mixed up because thought he meant the 2016 regular Affinity SS in Race Green. Now I found out about the Surf Green Bullet.

but in the end most of the new colours look great!

16. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia

Ah. I have that user ignored, so I never saw his post, or the bit you quoted in your initial response. My apologies.

nicod98 likes this.

17. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    It's odd. But oddly fetching :)

I like the one with gold hardware :)

18. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast

I checked the Squier website, the colors are "Slick Silver", "Surf Green", and "Race Red" (which does have a hint of Orange) and the ones I saw were all Affinity Strats. I also saw the Bullet Mustang in "Imperial Blue", very nice, it appears to have a touch of metallic something that doesn't come through when seeing it online, but it's not for me, too short.

The point is whether Strat or Tele the current color options in the lower priced (entry) lines (Bullet/Affinity) are a step up from previous offerings save for the Burgundy Mist which is gorgeous too (I should've bought one).

Last edited: May 13, 2017

19. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I have not bought a new Affinity telecaster, but I tested one, and I suspect that the Affinity still has 500k pots for single coils (I could not measure that, but it sounds like that to me). And I don't like the sound of it, so If I'd buy one, I'd swap out the pots and pickups. (but they look fantastic)
    The build quality is very similar to the 2011 Affinity telecaster I have.

In Belgium I have never seen a Bullet Telecaster... :(

20. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    I just checked the factory pots and harness that I removed from my 2016 Affinity Telecaster and both volume and tone are 250k. Funny I installed CTS USA 250k pots, cap, and wire along with a USA CRL 3-way and think the guitar sounded better with the stock electronics (I didn't change the pickups).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.