Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Aesthetically Pleasing Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by AmbientMetal, Sep 8, 2014.

1. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

how did you go about the art, pens? silk screen? looks good.
    chris.

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Hands down, the best-looking pedal I own is the Blackstone Appliances OD:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=802560

It sounds great, but, unfortunately, stopped working after a few months. I meant to send it back for repair/replacement, but just got caught up with other things.

I used to have a Maestro Fuzz Tone that looked cool. I especially liked the rubber grommet around the switch.

And I couldn't leave out the Fuzz Face for cool looks.

Oh, yeah, the Joe Meek compressor looks good, too.

3. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Given the choice between a Little Big Muff, Nano Big Muff, or the big box NYC Muff, I'll take the big box every time. It's what a Muff is supposed to look like.

I read an article interviewing Mike Matthews, and he said he had expected the nano Muff to outsell the big box, but that the demand for the big box version had remained consistent - people like it despite he awkward form factor.

4. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

goes to show you guitar players are traditional. lol. change bad mmkay. joking! i like the big muff box's too.
    chris.

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I'm guessing that Mike didn't factor into the equation that the NYC sounds better than the Nano, too. :lol:

6. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Plus, it ain't a big muff if it's.... Little.

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Go big or go home!

8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    Tasmania
    True. But given the alternatives I wouldn't bother.

I can't help thinking a pedal is pretty easy to design. Hard to see how they could go wrong but Joyo managed to go wrong with that one.

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    That's how I see it. It's also probably going to get dropped a few times, and it will probably have stuff dropped and spilled on it.

...Well, this assumes that it will be used, and taken out of the house and onto a stage. So that also includes anything that incidentally happens with setting up.

That said, I do like stuff that doesn't have a "heavy corporate look." Well, if it's cheap, I guess it doesn't matter. It's just hard to be thrilled about something that looks like a widget that comes flying off an assembly line at hundreds of units an hour. IMO, while something like silkscreening is cool for T-shirts, I think it's really droll with pedals. And while there was mention of sparkly finishes, I tend to like stuff that just kind of has a left-of-center vibe, so that might mean a heavy wrinkle finish, or something you typically don't see. Someone might think the old Dano Dan Echo was kind of foofy looking with the lavender enclosure, but I think it's fantastic.

...If shielding wasn't a PITA, I think that those translucent plexi boxes would really be fun to have.

I guess I also appreciate knobs that are both functional and not so common looking. Now that there are MIC knock-offs of the Davies and chicken head knobs, I just really can't stand the things, which is stupid to say, but I'll admit it. Some knobs never get old looking IMO, and the Rat-style (not the latest MIC) and the MXR-style are absolutely great, IMO.

...There's something about those EHX hockey puck knobs that I find to be very cool and super ugly at the same time.

...Other than the MXR-style knobs, I never cared for all the setscrew stuff, except for maybe the BIG spun aluminum knobs. Despite liking barrel-type knobs on Teles, I always gravitated towards the non-setscrew stuff for Strats or Gibson-type guitars. I think something like a speed knob specifically for pedals would be badass.

I've seen a few clever builders use the Fender jewel-light type of indicator, and that looks great, too. It's just not always very practical, especially on the little MXR-sized box pedals - the diameter will probably be bigger than a knob for something that size!

I think toggles look like absolute s--t on pedals - they really just ruin something cool about it. Give me a rotary or an actual pushbutton any old day. And if there's actually a topside nut, when that little 8mm thing comes loose, it's gone forever.

I wish more companies had cool looking logos, but that's because I did graphics and such for years and years, so it was kind of a running thing with my coworkers - a bit of disdain for some of these big companies that would shell out stupid money for something that looked subpar. Lots of times, the logos were just too busy, had too many colors, had some kind of goofy typeface that wasn't readable, or what have you. And I worked on everything, from McDonalds to Coke to Slurpee to NFL to Seattle's Best to MLB to Hooters to DQ to Maxwell House to NHL to Universal Theaters to NASCAR to...I can't even remember any more. I never did anything for Fender, though...;)

It's so stupid to get caught up in this, but I guess it's something that's swimming below the subconscious, and it all plays a role with what we do or don't buy. But with actual "formal training" with painting, sculpture, etc. - I guess I tend to see things with all sorts of widgets and gizmos that most of us are supposed to never overtly pick up on. With most electronics, I bet a lot of folks don't even note if the composition is metal, plastic, or both. There was a time when that wouldn't be the case...

10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    sort of...I just bought another Rat because I wanted the one that looked proper. My Mooer BS is great but its a little too cute.
    and my Biyang Brownie is too damn big.
    im not saying the Rat is amazing looking
    I mean it looks 1980s :neutral:
    but it looks like a ProCo Rat :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    Tasmania
    [​IMG]

I think the Ditto looper is a gem of a design especially seeing as it came out before the wave of mini pedals arrived.

Small grey body, one button one knob. Its looks tell its story right there. It says "I've just made looping so simple it will become something you do all the time".

I didn't buy it for its looks but it's looks reinforced its promise.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I think they look amazing. Solid. Utilitarian. Simple. Clean lines. Especially the blackface aesthetic. But then I also think Boss pedals are beautiful.

14. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2005
    Irving, United States of Texas!
    Biggest mistake when I bought a Danowah because of its shape. The fuzz section sounded like (butt)!

15. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    Of course tone and function over looks, artisian is just a bonus. But being geezerily...the ability to see the marking on the knobs for a quick visual reference has become a plus.

Attached Files:

16. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    [​IMG]

I bought the EVH Phase 90 just because of the looks:lol:

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    From a career in the design world, I enjoy the great creative appearances of some pedals, but I would not let it sway me (with maybe the exception of size) compared to the quality of effect that I'm after. That said, I love the look of my VOX Valvetone V810. I like the cool looks of Carl Martin pedals, but have never heard nor seen a real one.

BTW, that Blackstone Appliance does look cool, but I'm probably more old school than most.

18. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i really like the industrial look of this pedal.
    chris.

19. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Never thought about this question, but I guess some pedals look cooler than others. I like the looks of my Hermida Zendrive, nothing fancy, just looks cool, and my EH Holy Grail, the plainest pedal that I own, has been on my board the longest time.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The first thing I see there are little boxes. I'd like some more interesting shapes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.