Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advise on Fender's current 52 vintage reissue tele pickups.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rusty Stauffer, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Winding pups to different specs isn't rocket science.

Can I please suggest you contact Guitar Fetish and find the same pickups for half the price as original brands?

2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Not to be rude but iirc the '52 AVRI was made until 2011. In 2012 it was revised and just called an AV '52. I have the AV '52. Got it in July. Last year Fender's specs said they have OV pickups. Now Fender's website it says they have AV '52 pickups. I had an Am. Spec. with the CS Texas Specials and loved them. Sold that to get a new Am. Pro. Now this is strictly personal but I didn't like it nor the V Mod pickups. Sold it and got the AV '52 and I love it. Now to the pickups on it...to my ears they sound great and similar to the CS TS's that I liked so much. I don't know what the specs are but I really dig these American Vintage '52 Single-Coil Tele pickups. They aren't listed on Fender's site (same for the V Mods) but you might be able to get a set. Stratosphere has the V Mods occasionally so maybe they get these AV '52's sometimes also. Good luck.

3. Rusty Stauffer

Rusty Stauffer TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Folks: didn’t get to the phone calls to Stratosphere and to Fender today. Will do tomorrow when I will have more time.

It’s been noted above that the current 52 is correctly called “American Vintage”, sans the word “reissue”. Hopefully my earlier reference to the words “current 52 tele” helped avoid any confusion as well.

4. Rusty Stauffer

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Friends: I talked to Fender today. Keep missing Stratosphere as they close at 3 eastern - will try tomorrow.

Fender says: the pickups on Stratosphere website called “American Vintage Reissue 52 tele pickups” are the same as in current 52 American Vintage Telecaster. They further said the neck PU resistance spec is 7.78 and bridge is 7.2.

Now .... I’m not sure I believe they’re the same as in current 52 tele. I pressed the fender rep on the fact the Stratosphere pickups are called “52 Reissue etc” while fender stopped using the Reissue label after (I think) 2011, at which time the specs for this model tele, including/especially the pickups, were updated and the reissue label was dropped.

Fender rep just replied that the reissue label is not a big deal, it’s just a word that changed in the
    Marketing literature, and the pickups in 2011 are the same as current. Hmmmmm.

I’m not convinced the fender rep was correct. But I don’t the have deep Knowledge of the history of model changes I’d need to debate him. Some of you folks know the history of specs for the 52 tele better than I.

So I will look for info on the current versus 2011 and earlier 52 tele, and see if that arms me to debate the fender rep and get more certain and up to date info. Seems like you have to know more than the “experts” in order to get a full and credible answer.

5. Rusty Stauffer

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    ... and by “experts” I meant the fender reps

6. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    I'd like to add something I mentioned about the 52 Neck / 62 Bridge Combo not to give incorrect information.

The Fender Reissue '62 bridge and '52 neck pickup are wound counter-clockwise. Both pickups are NORTH magnetic polarity. The bottom line is that the pickups would be compatible (i.e. not "out of phase") but would not be hum-cancelling when combined. Some players actually prefer pickups with the same polarity relationship over the hum-cancelling type.

Rusty Stauffer likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.