Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advise on Fender's current 52 vintage reissue tele pickups.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rusty Stauffer, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Rusty Stauffer

Rusty Stauffer TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Hello friends. I love the current fender 52 reissue pickups. I don't believe they are sold separate from the whole guitar. (But Let me know if that's not right)

I want to put (assuming I can't get the real thing) something very close to fenders 52 bridge pickup in my fender am deluxe (2013 or 14). Already have a lollar royalT in neck position and it's super.

What I love about the 52 bridge pu is:
    - awesome clean sound but
    - gets dirty easily and sounds great there too
    - more bass response than many bridge pu's.
    - almost sounds humbucker-ish when driven.

Any aftermarket third party suggestions?

2. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Argentina
    They are amazing indeed and they are not sold separately, I have an AV52 and I modded my MIM tele after it....I've upgraded it with orinigal vintage telecaster pickups from fender, which were the ones that came in the previous version of the AV52, as far as I know that's the closest you're gonna get

3. Rusty Stauffer

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas

4. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    I keep second guessing those, the description reads as the Fender Original Vintage, which were in the 52 but have since been changed. Stratosphere parts out new guitars, so maybe send them an email or give them a call to verify you get what you want.

Rusty Stauffer likes this.

5. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    I'd love to know what (if any) the differences are between the older OV pickups and the newer PV52 pickups.

They're still A3 magnets, with a copper-plated steel elevator plate, right?

Personally, I'm a big fan of Fender's OV pickups.

swany and Rusty Stauffer like this.

6. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

The DCR of the newer neck is 7.2K and the bridge is 6.6K. The Fender website (UK) still shows the box illustration with the old DCR neck 7.7K and bridge 7.2K, but gives the new specs - 7.2K and 6.6K. Also, on the underside of the flatwork, both pickups are marked "52" in felt tip. It's quite confusing, as the box which I received mine in about two years ago gives the new DCR values. Anyone else care to chime in about this

7. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Argentina
    Yes...they both are alnico 3

8. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    That advertisment says a "tin plated copper plate". Which is correct? I would have thought that if the plate has anything to do with shaping the magnetic field is would be steel/iron. I think mine are.

9. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I've wondered about that also. The plate has a copper look not tin, so is this description wrong?

10. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    I went Fender 52 Reissue neck and 62 Reissue bridge, it's an excellent combo.

Can play just about any genre of music now.

11. Rusty Stauffer

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    ... well I’m glad I waited for more folks to chime in. There seems to be a question of whether the “52” pickups Stratosphere sells are the same vintage 52’s as in the CURRENT fender 52 reissue tele. I will call Stratosphere on Monday when they open and let you all know
    What they say about this question. Stay tuned!

12. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    I'm curious too. BTW, I have the older O.V. pups and they are great.

swany and Rusty Stauffer like this.

13. Rusty Stauffer

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I will try to also call Fender to see what they advise just to compare answers between manufacturer and reseller.

I’d have just gone ahead and bought a current 52 tele, but having brought home 4 different ones from 3 different vendors — they ALL had serious issues with the nut and therefor tuning. Some also had other issues like strings not centered (nut again) on already narrow neck such that high or low E string tumbled off the edge, and one even had the pickguard screws drilled at horrible angles such that the screw heads angled up and scraped skin if not careful.

Not sure what is up over at Fender this year. I wrote and called them about it tho.

asnarski likes this.

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Hi @Rusty Stauffer. I am watching the thread with interest, but your last post indicates a way out perhaps: you might get another 52 and, supposing the nut’s the only problem, have one cut for you by a local tech. Minor and reversible mod, cheap, and it might open the possibility to keep an otherwise perfectly good 52 with the right PUs in it.

15. Rusty Stauffer

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I live in middle of nowhere and guitar techs nearby are a month or more behind. Plus for a $2k guitar one should arguably not be purchasing a defective item. But yes if push comes to shove I’d consider that route. Thanks.

RadioFM74 likes this.

16. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    I think so. I think they are (or should be) steel plate with a coat of copper.

17. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I eventually found the box for the Original Vintage Tele pickups, but a small correction from me, it does have the old readings on it just like the pics. Are they just using the old boxes? Here is spec from Fender UK
    Telespec.JPG

18. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    the ov pups in my 2000 am std are some of the best pickups fender make in my opinion.

19. Rusty Stauffer

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Lots of great info - thanks all. I will call fender and Stratosphere Monday and see what I learn... then post it here for us.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.