Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advice to upgrade Squier Bullet FSR Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jgmouton, May 11, 2018.

1. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Hi,

I've just ordered this guitar (https://goo.gl/DU98qf) and plan to upgrade it. Here are my ideas:

- Change the pickups for Fender CS 51 Nocaster pickups.
    - Change the 3-position control plate but don't know what to choose.
    - Change the tuners for Fender locking tuners (but will the guitar remain balanced?)
    - Change the bridge for a modern bridge.

What do you think? I'd like to have a modern, versatile Tele to play blues/rock/country music. Thank you for your ideas and comments.

Cheers

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I would play it before doing anything, I have the BSB and it's surprisingly good, the most obvious cost cutting measure is the neck; the finish is the "barely there" satin, and it feels somewhat unfinished. Some folks have reported rough frets, the rosewood may be better in this regard, but If you are gong to put money in, a thorough dressing and leveling might be the place to start,

The pick ups are very good, the bridge is nice and spanky, and not overly bright, rolling down the tone actually works and has noticeable results, the neck is great, very jazzy w/o being muddy. Would No-casters be better? depends on many things, they might be 'different" and more to your liking, but the stock set is very usable. Before I sprung for new ones I would be thinking "for $100 more I could get a new neck..

Not sure what you mean by the control plate? The stock unit is very nice, sturdy, w/ even chrome; the switch is perhaps a weak spot, but doesen't cry out for immediate replacement, nor do the pots.

Tuners are fine, if you prefer lockers, you will of course need to change them, have never had them on a Tele, so can't comment on neck dive.

Not sure what you mean by "modern bridge", the bridge is a modern 6 saddle design, I suppose it might be worth while to up grade the saddles to a compressed or composite material. This is somewhat in the back of my mind "to do"

jgmouton likes this.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Oh and if you are going to gig it regulary I would consider an "Electrosocket" I haven't had trouble w/ mine but the stock jack cup is a long time problem area.

jgmouton likes this.

4. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Thank you CK Dexter, good ideas. Sure I will first try it to see what needs to be done. If the nut has problems I also may replace it with a bone nut although I don't know the impact on the sound.

5. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Any other ideas?

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I have locking. Do that last, if you still feel the desire. They don't hold tune any better; they just make string changes easier.

The first mod I would do is a 4-way switch, so you can run both pups in series. Just a few bucks/pounds/euros and an easy mod, but what an option.

That 4th position makes it sound like a totally different guitar, like a powerful humbucker.

Last edited: May 12, 2018

7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    +1 on the 4-way switch

+1 on the play it first, mod later, it might not need an upgrade

+1 on fretwork and setup (or did nobody mention this yet?), unless it is OK (depends on specific guitar and local humidty situation I suppose)

8. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    I bought a used one from a shop that had upgraded the electronics, smoothed out the fret edges and polished them up and gave it a pro setup. Sounds and plays great IMO.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

+1 play it first
    +1 fret level (it's $100 most places where fifty of that is the setup so the extra is a super value as the guitar will play like one ten times the price afterward).
    +1 leave the pickups (don't be afraid of ceramic)

Bourns volume pot (you can leave the tone or swap that too), Oak-Grigsby 4-way switch, Switchcraft jack. If you need to tweak your guitar's tone, measure pots and caps and find differently measured value ones to swap. A tenth the cost of pickup swaps.

A 'Bubba Mod' to install three traditional brass saddles can get you the vintage look.

Always 'tune up' your guitar and you won't need locking tuners. if you re-string by anchoring the ball end at the bridge, bring the string up and wrap 3-4 times around the tuner post to thread the cross-hole and pull that tight, you'll only have a few turns machine head turns to get up to tension. Any tuning issues I've ever seen are the nut unless someone dropped the guitar and broke/bent a tuning machine.

10. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Thank you all for your advice. Will keep you informed here when I have the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.