Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advice on tunning machine problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TeleTwanger37, Mar 30, 2003.

1. TeleTwanger37

TeleTwanger37 Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    linden,penna
    I have a 2002 MIM tele it has the standard fender hole thru center tuners,i bought a set of vintage kluson style to replace them,but the bushings that go thru the top seem to loose they fall right out,do i need a differnt brand or is there something i can do to fix this problem i prefer vintage style tunners over the cheap mim models,any advice would greatly appreaciated......thanks

2. Kevin

Kevin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Conversion bushings...

Stew Mac and Allparts sell conversion bushings for this...

The peghead holes are bigger on the newer tuners than the older tuners... The conversion bushings are sized on the outside diameter to fit the larger hole, but on the inside diameter to fit a Kluson shaft.... Overall size of the bushing (including the top "ring") is very similar to stock Kluson bushings.....

I've used them once and they worked great....

3. Kevin Nybo

Kevin Nybo TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Mini-Soda
    I'm using a set I purchased through www.stewmac.com right now. I had previously enlarged the holes so I could use Rotomatic locking tuners, then decided to to go back to the original vintage split-shaft style.

One note-
    The factory Fender tuners that originally came with this '52RI were a perfect fit in the tuner_post_diameter-to-bushing_inside_diameter area, but a set of my Grover vintage split-post(Kluson stamped) has a smaller post shaft diameter. I bought these so I would have a set around in case they were needed in the future.

So before you order, make sure the bushing's inside diameter will accomidate the shaft sizes of the tuners you wish to install. I know the Stewmacs have a 1/4"(.250") inside diameter. When I tried the smaller shafted Grovers in these there was a lot of side-to-side play. Also, the original Fender split-shaft tuner posts would not fit into the Grover supplied bushing. I checked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.