Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advice on an overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by homerkp, Aug 3, 2017.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Recent Boss Katana user here. It took some experimentation for a dirt pedal that I like with it. I have a fuzz-TS style OD (mini clone, sometimes OCD clone) and have been loving the Soul Food as a solo boost. YMMV

I like the Katana for gigs. Sounds awesome clean and now that I've found dirt that sounds good, it's an easy set up.

2. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    I've always run solid state amps with pedals, and I think setting the EQ right is a big deal. Most SS amps have really crystal clear high end, which is cool on clean sounds and not so much for dirty sounds. You'll probably want something with a pretty flat EQ curve for the overdrive, because pushing the mids and highs using a Tube Screamer won't do you any good into a clean SS amp. A Soul Food, a TC MojoMojo, or a Boss BD-2 would do nicely! To get it to work with an SS amp, you could try running the amp a little dark by rolling back the treble knob, or use an EQ pedal or Cab Sim to kick on with your drive pedals to darken it up a bit! For heavier drive, you may take a look at the DOD Carcosa Fuzz, which has a switch for running into a clean amp vs. a dirty one. Never tried it myself, but I've only heard good things!

3. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I've got an EHX "East River Drive" that I love ... nice warm overdrive pedal... wouldn't recommend it for guys that play metal music but for a classic tube screamer type of vibe it's a great little pedal

4. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Joyo American Sound. Its cheap $30-$40 (depending on where you get it) and it sounds amazing with ANY amp. From just a bit dirty to super saturated Tweed all in one pedal.

5. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've had the Soul Food, but it didn't gel with me. I have been quite pleased with the Chinese Klones on Ebay, both the Kit one (although I bought it assembled) and the one that says Centaur on it that Shane from In the Blues reviewed. But my favorites are the Cream Brulee from Tone Bakery (JRR Shop), the Xin Sound Sky overdrive that I bought on Ebay from Hazed and Confused, and a Klone from a guy in Michigan (calls himself hadleyr2005 on Ebay) who builds them on the BUGG FX PC Board and uses the same case as the Gold kit one with the centaur graphic on it, and calls it the Mythical Transparent overdrive (not the same as the more expensive, more well known Mythical one). It's the only one where he says he uses germanium diodes. The others don't specify if they use silicon or germanium. They all have the dual gang gain pot, dual op-amps (most use TI TL072s) and charge pump chip that doubles the internal voltage to 18v (I don't know about the Sky, 'cause the board is upside down, so when I take the back off all I see are solder joints. The others all posted pics to see the board layout). And they all are buffered, except the Shane one, which is true bypass. I also like the ERD from EH and the Voodoo Sparkle Drive (the original one). The Caline Orange Burst (BB clone) and Pure Sky (Timmy clone) and Joyo American, British, and AC tone are all good pedals as well, although I always got radio interference on high gain settings with the American Sound.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

6. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I really like the Way Huge Pork Loin. I find it to be very responsive. For some reason, a lot of people seem to really dislike it, but I think it's great.

7. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    Yesterday I tried the Soul Food and it is a great pedal. There isn't much gain, and I found I had to play with it quite a bit to get it to do what I wanted which was that edge of breakup sound, where you can control the dirt with the volume of the guitar, or with your pick attack. once I got there, it worked better than any other pedal I tried for getting that sound. The East River is great and sounds very Tube Screamer like. You might also want to check out the Crayon by EHX It is has a broad range of gain, which makes it very versatile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.