Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advice on an overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by homerkp, Aug 3, 2017.

1. homerkp

homerkp TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Greece
    Hey guys,
    I'm gonna buy some some pedals to go with my Crate XT120R 120W amp. I wanna start out with an overdrive. I was looking at used pedals in my area and most of what I find are Boss Superdrive pedals. There was briefly a Soul Food pedal, and after looking at comparisons I found I really like the sound of the Soul Food, while the Boss sounds too saturated for the songs we play. I'm gonna get a separate distortion pedal for that.

The Soul Food is already gone but I've become hung up on the sound of it and I think I'd rather buy it new than settle for a used Boss SD. My question is whether it will sound good on a solid state amp. I'm also not that experienced where amps are concerned so I'm afraid it won't sound as good as it does in the videos I've seen. Can someone give me some tips in shopping for pedals for a solid state?

I first wanna get an overdrive, then a distortion, then a fuzz. I'll probably get a Boss distortion, and as far as the fuzz goes, I haven't gotten that far yet, but if anyone has tips where that is concerned it would help too.

2. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    check the ehx hot tubes

3. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I had a EHX Soul Food, really liked it and inexpensive.
    Replaced it with a J. Rockett Archer Ikon and like it a little better but it does cost more.
    "Saintsilas", forum member, just picked up a "Wampler Tumnus" and is very happy with it.
    The EHX "hot tubes" is a good suggestion and any of the TS 808 or TS 9 Tube screamers or variants are always a good choice for OD.
    For Distortion I'd point you toward a RAT2. I'm really liking Bogner Burnley for distortion but it cost a bit more too.
    You may want to give some serious consideration to the Catlinbread "Katzenkonig" which is basically a RAT circuit and a MKII tone bender Fuzz circuit in the same pedal.
    Whatever you get, odds are it will work just fine!
    Enjoy!

4. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    I love the soul food replaced my 808s/ts9 sound good with ss loads of mods you can do and its cheap , whats not to like

5. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    As an alternative, you COULD try out one of the really good multi-FX pedal things, like a Boss or a Zoom.

Theres a reason why I say this. I use a Zoom G1 as a gig-amp-disaster backup. It was pretty easy to plug it right into my solid state PA and get some good, workable overdrives out of it. This sounded A LOT better than any kind of pedal.

Just an alternative. If you know anybody that has one of these multi-FX things, borrow it.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Check out the various Dunlop/MXR fuzzes...they're the best bang-for-the-buck, IMHO.

There's enough variation amongst their different models that it might take a little while to figure out which one you like best.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Check out the MXR Il Torino on blowout sale (amazon or musicians friend). Way less saturated than the SD-1. I like how they tuned it in.

Tele-beeb likes this.

9. homerkp

homerkp TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Greece
    I checked out the different pedals you guys mentioned, I'm still leaning toward the Soul Food just because it seems to distort the sound less and gives it more of a boost, which I think suits what we play:

More or less what we have so far:
    1. "Love me Two Times" - Doors
    2. "Roadhouse Blues" - Doors
    3. "Long Train Running" - Doobie Brothers
    4. "R U Mine" - Arctic Monkeys
    5. " Feeling Good" - Muse
    6. "Give it Up" - ZZ Top
    7. "Blue Veins" - Raconteurs
    8. " Lonely Boy" - Black Keys
    9. "Money" - Pink Floyd
    10. "Pride and Joy" - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Then I'm thinking I'll need an actual distortion pedal for the Arctic Monkeys song, then a fuzz for Muse and Pink Floyd.

I do have a multi effect pedal; I just need to get it shipped to me, and I think I'll start with that for some delay.

While we're at it, what do you guys think of equalizer pedals? People have told me they're kind of useless, as in you might only use one if you want to subtract some frequencies, though I kind of like the idea of having more detailed control over my tone.

I once borrowed a Boss equalizer pedal, but they seem way more expensive than Behringer's equalizer. What's the big difference?

Also, can someone tell me what the drawback is in using these pedals (specifically the overdrive) on a solid state amp like mine? Is the Soul Food a "tube screamer"? Cause I heard a tube screamer overdrive is way less effective on a solid state amp.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    You're going to have to try stuff out.

Some people use "dirt" pedals (OD, distortion and fuzz) to "push" their tube amps. Raise the level and induce clipping in the amp.

Some people turn their amp up more and use their guitar volume to clean up.

Some people use their pedals to produce some or all of the "dirt" before the amp.

Some people use a combination of some or all.

As a general proposition, many SS amps do not handle being "pushed" by a pedal as well as some tube amps. I find that unless that is your goal, most dirt pedals work as well into most SS amps as they do into most tube amps.

richey88 likes this.

11. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

You mentioned having a solid state amp. Many dirt pedals sound like crapola into an SS amp. If I were you I would take my amp to somewhere like GC and try a bunch of pedals until you find the ones you want to go home with. Stack them and everything. Bring in pedals you already have if you need to see how they interact with your current pedals.

Ideally go in the middle of a week day when they're not real busy. If you tell the salesperson what you are doing they will get it and they will help you out. They will realize that you are definitely going to walk out with at least one pedal...that you are not just window shopping. In theory you could buy nothing and just order on line but that would be perfidious, especially since GC's out the door price should be very competitive.

thefruitfarmer likes this.

12. homerkp

homerkp TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Greece
    Hehe I wish. I used to love going to guitar center but now I live in a village in Greece so that would be kind of difficult. I'm doing my best to find something that'll work with my amp without needing to try it out. Haven't found a video without someone using a Soul Food on a ss though.

People with ss still use pedals though right? If the distorted channel sounds like crap on my amp, I should be able to get a nicer sounding OD/distortion/fuzz by using pedals. I did try a few a couple weeks ago and they definitely sounded better than the built in distortion.

13. homerkp

homerkp TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Greece
    I'm seeing some very good reviews for the Bad Monkey, especially for the price. It sounds pretty good too.

14. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Yes- you want a pedal that has its own nice clipping sound: not one that depends on overdriving a tube preamp. There are plenty that do that....I'm sure folks here with clean SS amps can provide good suggestions.

thefruitfarmer likes this.

15. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    I used to actually bring my amp to the music store and try them all. To me, there was no other way to really know which one was going to work.

I tend to use OD pedals that push the amp a little rather than just add distortion. I use a TS9 and a King of Tone so I can layer several stages of gain when I need it. Or, just get a little raunchy boost when appropriate.

Bust out the amp. Head to store. Try a bunch of stuff out! Get it right the first time!

16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    A Soul Food and a good Fuzz might be the only two you need. Can't know until you try! I think the Soul Food does what it's supposed to very well, and I am still really enjoying my MXR Classic 108 Fuzz (Fuzz Face style pedal). It is not expensive, and using the Fuzz control and the guitar volume you get a wide range of distortion to Fuzz. There are many others, of course. The Soul Food I have mostly used for a booster, but it has a nice (and different) kind of OD if you turn up the gain.

17. homerkp

homerkp TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Greece
    Do the Soul Food or Bad Monkey qualify as having their own clipping sound? Is there a category or something I search for to find these pedals?

18. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I don't know what the Il Torino is based on, but, I like the demos. I also like the classic look of MXR.
    I like drive that is 'touch sensitive', meaning (to me) if I play soft the drive is cleaner/quieter. If I dig in I, not only want dirt, I want increased volume too.

19. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno
    I will second the Il Torino, especially at the price it's going for currently. Its OD side is really versatile, as it has a three band EQ. The clean boost is very transparent. It's a super great deal, I think.

20. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    You'd probably be best with BM of all pedals you've mentioned and with the SS amp I would actually use the output labeled to mixer on Monkey.

It's a amp emulator out that shifts eq to sound more like you were overdriving a tube amp. Of course you have redo eq on pedal when you switch over to that output.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.