Advice needed- thinking of selling everything and starting again

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ReggiedaDog, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:03 AM.

1. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you've made up your mind on which guitars to sell. I think it is definitely worthwhile trying to find a guitar you really click with, but take your time. It sounds like you have a few perfectly usable guitars. Rather than buying and selling a heap more, just play lots of different types as much as possible until you get a feel for exactly what you want.

Cheshiergrin and preactor like this.
  2. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

This is still GAS, I’m afraid. It’s stage 4 advanced GAS.

3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Impulse buying, with guitars, is something I really avoid. So I would either mod what you have and see if one or more can be made good (for you), or else sell them all -- them all -- and look for one or two that you really like. I turn over guitars slowly, with a few keepers and never a lot of others, but I sell off after -- after -- I have found something really great for me. If I ever had zero guitars and a wallet full of cash, that would lead to a quick buy based on what I encountered short-term, and that is not nearly as good as buying only when I find something really great for me. I totally recommend cleaning house -- assuming you get decent value -- and starting with one guitar you love, but only if you have the patience to really do that. Almost every one of these forums is full of NGD posts where someone claims to have found the "perfect" guitar (which they ordered online and plugged in for 5 min.) but those end up on the blocks and the search continues... IMO, if you really liked your guitars, including that Tele, you would not have posted.

ReggiedaDog and tombm3 like this.
  4. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

A CS guitar may or may or may not cure your GAS. All it did for me was shift it up a notch. Still have GAS. But it's more controlled now.

5. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Is it what guitar you play or what music you are playing? If you can't physically bond with a guitar get rid of it but Why sell what you've got until you find something your really want. Me thinks many regrets for selling some of those guitars may be on the horizon.

You may end up finding what you have got is better than a dream you are chasing!

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I would strongly caution you not to get a custom built guitar. That is the opposite of what your friend did and your latest rehearsal process.

It is just a more expensive way to buy a guitar over the internet, basically. By that I mean, buy a guitar before you try.

You would be far better off haunting local shops until you find one that "clicks" in you hands.

7. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Life is too short to play an instrument you don’t love. I went through a similar process, now I’m planning to unload any of it that I don’t really love. That being said sometimes you also need the right tool for occasional use, but I’d carefully weigh the cost of ownership against how often I needed it.

8. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog TDPRI Member

don't worry I have learned that lesson the hard way- got several big shops within an hours drive and not going to buy anything I haven't tried.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Has anyone ever just picked their 1 favorite guitar out of the bunch, and then put away all the others in a closet somewhere for a while? Behind some boxes or winter coats or something, where it's hard to get at them? Then months later, do I get the urge to dig any of them out?

I feel like I want to try doing that before selling a bunch of stuff I can't get back. Maybe my pedals and amps too.

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Start building instead of buying so that you can get exactly what you want.

I'm a habitual buyer and turner-over. In that has been a few custom orders, but the reality is that they're no better than production items of the same spec. The trick is finding the production items with the same spec.

But, a custom order is worth its price only to you. It's custom. When you go to sell it, you don't find people who want custom used guitars - they'll make their own custom order. Big loss.

My advice would be if you're bored with your guitars, go to shops and rifle through the used equipment over a period of time until you find just what you want. it's perception that allows us to believe that something like a $4K fender is much better than a $1K used fender professional. Perceived quality over actual.

11. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

OK, so you're reducing you stable of guitars down to one. Can you *really* only live with one amp?? :twisted:
    (Especially if you only have one guitar to to cover all genres)

12. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

If you really have no bond with these guitars and just don't enjoy playing them then what's the point in keeping them? But before you do, ask yourself some questions. Are you sure it's not just a set up issue? Could they be transformed by a good seeing to by a decent tech? Do they just need new strings? Is it the amp that just isn't getting the best out of them?

If it's none of these, then absolutely thin the herd and go on a guitar safari and try out as many as you can until you find one that has "it".

13. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I buy very few guitars... and never sell. There is no physical common theme amongst them in terms of neck thickness, radius etc etc. The one thing they all had in common was I played them and walked away... and they 'called me back'. There was a 'something'. You could buy a custom shop model, make up a partscaster, or find one in the second hand rack... and you'll never know until you try it.

14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

I did 2 years ago..and pretty much used my ears vs a lot of internet. SG into amps & cabs until it was where i wanted to be. No restrictions of what is popular..or what you think you know..biggest help was giving each fair time to learn it & also a/b everything until the last result was accomplished. Also, learn an amp..don't get a new amp & slam pedals into it before you know the eq naturally. ,,,cab & speakers are very important.. can go dramatically Am or Brit with a cab change. I kept each piece of gear that was close & then got the next piece so there was an actual way to listen..not from memory...key thing is ..go for your tone..not someone eles's

15. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog TDPRI Member

Amps? Who mentioned Amps? I'm happy with my amps thank you very much- deluxe reverb for playing out and a Katana for home use/backup. I also use a Line 6 HX for the few times I use effects.

Very good advice that I have already taken- all of them have had recent set ups and new strings just to be on the safe side.

16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Keep the 88 Tele, 80's Fender USA Standards both Strats and Teles are killer.....

Commence Safari once cash acquired from undesired items.

17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Here is one thing I have strongly come to believe. Find the thing you like better BEFORE you sell the thing you already have. Otherwise, you may sell off one thing to buy something new, only to discover you really don't like the new thing any better, and in fact maybe you wish you had the original thing back. It costs more in the short term, to buy more things before you sell the old things. But eventually you can sell stuff, and you get the peace of mind in knowing you made the right choices.

Cheshiergrin likes this.
  18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Don't sell ANY of them, until you find the exact ONE to buy that you want to live with forever. My guess is that you thought each of the one's you currently have was THE one at the time you bought it.

ReggiedaDog likes this.
  19. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

My two cents...

You need to take the same attitude with the guitars that you have with the amps. One or two live usage amps, one or two recording type amps. The same with guitars. I spent a tone of money on unique high end guitars for recording and keep a couple of beater guitars for live. The beaters have to perform and be versatile and need to be set up well.

Sell the rest or start a music store.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

If you've sold more than you kept, it's hopeless.

But I have no idea what you're doing, your list looked like a bunch of really boring guitars, probably not a single one would interest me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.