Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advice needed: B&W vs McVay and others

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Rockerfeller, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2014
    Denver, co
    I am getting ready to pull the lever on a strap activated B-Bender. I have narrowed it down to either a McVay, McEwen or a B&W. The McEwen I could get the quickest. The B&W comes in a close second and they are both in the same basic price range. The McVay is far more costly and I don't know their turn around time.

I figured out the B&W is easy to adjust the tension and I now like the way it feels. I am not sure about the quality of the newer ones.

Any advice by those who have owned more than one of these would be appreciated

2. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Does B&W still make them? I thought that the owner/builder had had health issues (or worse) last year? Forrest Lee Jr, Bill Bores, and one of the members here (gapping on the name) also do strap benders with a decent turnaround time and cost.

3. Rockerfeller

Feb 14, 2014
    Denver, co
    Yes. Bill died but his son-in-law who use to build Benders with him, kept the business going. They don't have a website but they are still being built.

4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    How did you get in touch with B&W? I used to check out the website every now and then--but last time I looked, it was pretty out dated.

Paul is great to deal with if you decide to go for the Slingshot. He's a member here too.

I've heard good things about Forrest Lee Jr., too.

5. Weeman333

Weeman333 TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Tn
    Steve Powell on Facebook is how I found them. They have a fb page too

6. Rockerfeller

Feb 14, 2014
    Denver, co
    I had an old email address... but then I too found him on Facebook

7. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I realize I didn't answer any of the questions you actually asked. Unfortunately, the Slingshot is the only bender you mentioned that I have used. Fortunatley, there are a few guys here that have vastly more experience than I do. Mr. Hayes comes to mind. I believe he has both a B &W and a few Slingshots.

Rockerfeller likes this.

8. Rockerfeller

Feb 14, 2014
    Denver, co
    Did you get a bender put in your guitar? If you did, what do you think of the new B & W?

9. Weeman333

Weeman333 TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Tn
    No, but I’ve done extensive research on the b&w. Enough that I’m making one similar with some parts I’ve machined, and bicycle spokes. They’re the cleanest and least invasive design, and I’ve only heard great things about them. Steve was super helpful when I had talked to him and was really trying to help me out. I’d give him a shout man! Or at least check out their Facebook page. There’s great pics there.

10. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Dec 17, 2008
    Woodsfield, OH
    I have had several different benders, Parsons white, Parsons Greene, Glaser , and several Mcvays. The McVay benders are hands down the smoothest operation , and rock solid tuning stability. The bender stop loin remains in tune even after a string change. Worth every penny. Flawless machining and an even Better guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.