Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Advice needed: About to purchase an original 1972 telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by eddieg, Jul 7, 2013.

1. eddieg

eddieg NEW MEMBER!

Hi all.

I am about to buy an original Fender Telecaster manufactured in 1972 in Fullerton. Apparently the tone knobs and the pickups were changed by the owner before the current owner; the current owner still has the original knobs but not pickups, and he does not know which pickups are mounted in his guitar right now. Other than that it got some dents and scratches but as a whole the guitar is fine and sounds decent.

The owner wants me to pay $2,200. Do you think this is a good bargain? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Best,

Ed G.

2. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I would not call it a bargain. I would say you are paying full price for the guitar. The price is fair if you really like it, but no great buy. At that price, I would expect it in otherwise very good condition with the original case. Changed out pickups is a major dent in the price. Hard shopping would probably get you a 72 tele in good condition all original. I will always pay a premium for something I really like.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Not a bad price. If it's a great feeling player get it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. eddieg

eddieg NEW MEMBER!

The deal got cancelled as the owner complained about me asking too many questions with obvious skepticism. (lol) Guess I'm staying with my 52 Reissue.

Thanks everyone!

6. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

If you want an ultra rare 72 blonde with a rosewood fretboard. All original let me know. I know one for sale.

7. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Not a bad price if the neck & body are good. Replacing the vintage pickups is quite doable - they're around, but not cheap. You might do better to find a 71-73 with the original pickups. But, you have to take into account that $2,200 is about $1,000-$1,500 lower than a pristine all original '72 would likely be. I think I'd make the decision on the state of the neck and frets. That's an expensive fix to have done - I had to have my '70 neck rebuilt (finish & frets) and it wasn't a minor job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.