Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advice for all in one pedal?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by mischief, Jan 8, 2017.

1. mischief

mischief TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2016
    NSW Australia Port Stephens
    Howdy,
    I just bought my first Telecaster a CVC.
    I have primarily been playing acoustic solo gigs and I am a pure country performer.

For now I'm only interested in an all round classic country sound from my Tele.

I play through a PA and am not expecting to buy an amp any time soon. I thought maybe an amp modeling pedal or some all in one pedal could be the ticket?

For acoustic I either use the FX on my small mixer or I use my TC helicon Acoustic Play pedal which has nice FX for vocals and guitar. I'm not sure if this pedal in conjunction with something else would work well for electric or something completely different?

I'd like to keep things dead simple and
    costs down at the moment.

Any advise would be very appreciated.

Cheers

2. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Line6 helix, or an older model for less money. I am pretty happy with the pod x3 live

TheFlyingAlamo likes this.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Zoom G3 or G5... low cost, very easy to use.
    A used BOSS ME-70 would fit your criteria as well.

That said, I'm a line 6 user myself. But the Helix is likely too costly and IMO the HD500 is not the easiest device to get used to. A used X3 Live (as mentioned by @callasabra) would likely be the best "bang for buck" and "ease of use" line 6 product.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

There was a time when I could have used this straight up advise.
    It would have saved me countless hrs of research and at least one purchase.
    If you want access to several sounds at your feet WHILE you play, not stopping and knob twiddling,
    Zoom is user friendly.
    Line 6 feels like it requires a 'degree in stuff I don't have a degree in'.
    That said, the line 6 is top notch, sound and tweeting wise, IF you have the patience it demands.
    If that is NOT important, look for a used Johnson J station.

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    Zoom G3X for $200 or a Zoom G5 for $300.
    Not too difficult to learn (RTFM), good sounds, lots of options.
    I could easily see using either one as my one-and-only effects/amp-sim solution.

6. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    There is a learning curve to the x3 live. I also have a digitech rp 150 and a digitech rp something else, both are fine, probably cheaper but not on the same level as line 6. Good for the bedroom practice but I gig the line6. You can hear the difference.

7. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

ok, admittedly overtkill But, buy last years technology.

I've found that if you are patient you can find a used Eleven Rack for $200.

Sick amount of toy for the $$$

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    I used to build all my own effects - some quite complicated - and rebuild my own amps... been making most of my gear since the late 1970's. Then, when they first came out I had some cash on hand and I bought a Line-6 HD500 just to check it out (fully expecting to be disappointed because I'm the pickiest person I know when it comes to tone and accuracy of vintage tones...): I initially ran it into the input of several amps and bypassed the amp modeling and just used it for effects. Using it that was I was only impressed enough to not return it, but then I ran the HD500 output through the preamp return on one of my bigger solid-state amps (a cheap TubeWorks 2100 where the tube preamp is fried/broken) and I was completely blown away. Since then I've sold off most of my amps and really don't use any effects except for a looper. And, I still just use the old SS amp as a power amp into a 1x12 speaker, It gets a great Fender clean as well as just about any amp tone I've ever needed for the last 5 years.

The presets that the line6 stuff comes with are some examples of what NOT to do with the thing. It's a little complicated at first, but it is so worth the learning curve - it's the only amp/effect I need after replacing tons of gear.

Generally, I set it up to have a chain of volume pedal, the "vintage preamp"(on), Tube Driver(off), Screamer(off), Tube Compression (only on if I need a fat-boost), optionally phaser/flanger/chorus..., AMP w/no-speaker emulation, Tube Compression (always on just enough to barely notice), delays, reverb, looper...

I've thoroughly convinced myself that I don't need any other amps by playing with some side-by-side for a few months. I generally have been an emulation hater for years until I owned this one and worked with it for a while: Now, I realize that people generally way overdue the compression on boxes like this to try to make a bad sounding guitar sound better... but that never really works. I used to think that multi-effect boxes colored any guitar's tone, but now I realize that it's not the case at all with the HD500. I thought that a line6 amp would be a great all in one solution, but somehow there is a huge difference and their amps are not that great IMO.

So, going into a PA is on not that big of a deal with HD500: I change the output EQ and tweak the speaker EQ; but the best live performance tone is really to go through a power amp into a stiff (EV) 12" speaker.

If the guitar sounds pretty good, the HD500 can be an awesome tool for clean, sparkly, twangy as well as thick compressed tones. Mostly I use mine to get a "Princeton on 6 volume" tone" and just control the overdrive with the volume knob or I dial up a clean and dirty Eric Johnson tone. The box can store way more presets than I need, but what I do is I will keep a bank of presets that are my goto tones, if I make a change that I like I save that into a different bank. Also I have banks set up for different playing situations as well as one bank for pickups that I wound with 41 wire that require a little different EQ for those super sensitive pickups.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I got a Zoom B1X with a guitar trade once. It covers the bases and is relatively simple, I use it more than the line6 POD I have.
    These are out there used for under $30.

The line6 POD is more complicated (dials and knobs to twiddle during the gig) and you'll need a separate foot pedal for it which no used sellers seem to have. The Johnson J station and Berhenger V-amp follow similar trends.

In the end you want to find a modeling pedal that is easy to use while on stage. If you have to mess around with it in the studio that's fine but you want super simple for any gig. If you can't figure a pedal out in ten minutes without a manual then you should probably move on to another company/product.

10. djh22

djh22 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    My Boss ME-50 has served me well for quite a while. I picked it up used for $50.

ce24, JayFreddy and codamedia like this.

11. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    The pods take a little tweaking but will get you anything you want. Depending on how many different sounds you need, you could maybe even get away with the HD300, although I'd recommend the hd500x.

12. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

Feb 22, 2011
    London
    I was looking at the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 today. Looks a touch more user-friendly than digital modellers (I'm not digital-adverse, I use digital units a lot for recording but I find live I need knobs not menus).
    If it's anything like previous pedals I've owned made by Tech 21 it will sound really good.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    The newish Boss GT-1 bears scrutiny. Good modeling, great effects, and only $199 brand new.

littlebadboy and JayFreddy like this.

14. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2008
    Buffalo
    All good suggestions, I have had all the older digitech units, you can pick up the GNX4 for under $100 and that is not a bad rig and even includes a drummer and a 8 track recorder. Presently using a Boss GT-8 that will set you back a little more, I think the effects overall are better. I don't use the modeling but the amps are pretty good.

15. Zesty feline

Zesty feline Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2015
    Australia
    Hello fellow Oz.. have you ever plugged your tele to the PA system through a DI box for cleans?

16. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Joyo American Sound?

GrantR and Slim like this.

17. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    My pal does the pop right into the board and he swears it's the greAtest thing ever. I like heavy tube amps and a few pedals personally. But a pod is probably worth checking out. They're cheap too.

18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Boss GT-3 or GT-6 which can be had for less than $100 on eBay. If money is not an issue, go for the higher GT's. It has everything you need. You can choose an amp sim and then plug it to a PA. In fact, I like how my GT-6 sounds on my PA.

If on a budget, the Behringer GDI21 is awesome for only $29.99 on Sweetwater or probably cheaper used on eBay.
    [​IMG]

Behringer V-Tone Guitar Driver DI GDI21 Amp Modeler Features at a Glance:
    • Amplifier modeler and direct box for electric guitar
    • Wide range of tone from 3 classic amp models, 3 gain modes, and 3 virtual mic positions
    • Drive control lets you dial in everything from ultra-clean to aggressive, driven tones
    • Balanced XLR out with speaker simulation for connecting directly to your sound system
    • 2-band EQ for shaping your sound

19. Axeually

Axeually TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Houston, Tx
    I have a little experience in this area! Let me give you my thoughts:

I own a Line 6 M9, which is a great little box if you just want a little bit of every kind of stomp effect.
    I own a Kemper Profiling Amp, which is an incredible tool if you are looking at replacing a tube amp and going digital, if you want to take the sound of your tube amps on the road while leaving your amps at home, or my personal favorite, if you want to get the sounds of amps that you could never afford! :) The Kemper Profiler Exchange allows you to download all kinds of amps, direct boxes, processors, etc., so you can find some interesting options for your acoustic.

The following two are two which I think will fit the bill for you almost exactly:

The Line 6 Helix has an entire complement of guitar amp and cab models, as well as just about any conventional guitar effect you could want. The cool part is that although the Helix does not have any built in acoustic guitar amp sims, it can host Impulse Responses (IRs), and you can find some for free online that would probably work some magic on your acoustic. It also has a built-in XLR input for your vocal mic, and you can apply any of the effects to your guitar and your microphone separately. Another cool thing about it is that Line 6 tried to make the interface fairly easy to use, and I think they largely succeeded, especially considering the capabilities of the unit.
    The biggest downside of this unit is the price: $1250-1500 (new).

In my mind, the best option for you is the TC-Helicon Voicelive 3. The unit has two sides: a guitar processing side and a vocal processing side. The guitar processing side is decent, but it definitely does not have the feel of analog gear, and honestly, I am not a huge fan of the sound of the electric guitar amp sim or the drive/boost pedal in this thing. However, on the flip side, the acoustic guitar processing sounds AMAZING. I am not joking. Plug in the piezo pickup of your guitar, and this thing will send a VERY natural sounding acoustic tone to the front of house. It is probably the strongest part of the guitar processing on this unit. The vocal processing on this unit is also incredible and very high quality. The unit automatically adds some compression and EQ to the mic input to give a solid, processed output, and you can apply almost all of the effects to the vocal side as well. The unit has a very good footswitch system that allows you to toggle between the guitar or vocal processing controls, and it even has a single button that can activate effects for both the vocal and guitar effects simultaneously. New, they are around $500, but it seems like they can be found used for around $300.

Just a note: TC Helicon also sells a stripped down version of the above unit called the Voicelive Play Acoustic. I don't know much about it, and have never owned one, but I think the many difference is that it has fewer footswitches for live control, and probably a little less control over the details of the patches. Don't quote me on that, though... Like I said, I haven't done my homework on that one!

Hope this helps!

ianstrike likes this.

20. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Ah didn't realise the OP was after multi fx in one pedal..thought he wanted one pedal to run a tele into a PA to get a good country sound..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.