Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Advice before NGD

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bastonge, May 22, 2017.

1. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

May 27, 2010
    argentina
    Im going to try a 64 Am Vintage telecaster today and wanted to ask for your opinions.
    From the pics i've seen from the owner, i noticed that string spacing is a bit off on the bridge (for example the distance between A and D is bigger than E and A)
    Nut seems to be OK, but at the saddles, string separation is not even.
    This model has a threaded saddles so i could move the strings a little, but the issue seems to be the height screws.. so i cant really do big adjustments.

Also.. i cant say for sure because of the angle the pic was taken, but some strings are not exactly over the pole pieces. so.. after adjusting the spacing how far from pole pieces becomes a no go?

Looking at my strat yesterday, noticed that high E string at the bridge pickup its a bit off too, but its only cosmethic and not bothering me at all and didnt notice before.

I dont mind about cosmethic flaws, i just want to identify if any of this stuff should be a deal breaker.
    Honestly i dont mind buying shorter screws, or even new saddles, but i cant do much if the strings are way off the pole pieces.
    I really do appreciate your help.

2. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Pics would help a lot ;-)

3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Never noticed that to be the case on mine. Wait until you see it in person.

4. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    No pic to study, but I'm sure eminently simple to solve with adjustment. The steel saddles allow the string to be placed on any of the threads. If they are too close to the screw the string cannot vibrate freely. Too far from the screw and the spacing is out.

Here's a pic of my '64 (before I bought and fitted shorter screws for comfort) to show that the spacing. NB I prefer to bring my top E in by one thread to keep it from the edge of the fretboard.

With the threaded saddles you will not get perfect string to string spacing I don't think, but close enough that you'll not care. If you want perfect string spacing you can get saddles with built in string grooves, such as the Gotoh In-Tune compensated saddles.

IMG_5631b.JPG

5. helloTO

helloTO TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Hamilton
    Trying different saddles has been a relatively cheap but worthwhile modding effort with Teles that I've had. Don't let it hold you back if you like the guitar.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    There are a few reasons this could happen including neck knocked out of alignment, strings installed off center, and fake Fenders built with badly fitting Chinese parts.
    The first two shouldn't be a deal breaker.

7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Perfection is ideal, but not practical.

"Good enough" gets the job done - and let's you sleep at night...

hellopike likes this.

8. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

May 27, 2010
    argentina
    Thanks a lot for your replies.

I needed like 30 seconds to close the deal. I really like this new American Vintage Series.
    Honestly i cant believe how light the guitar is. Compared to the 52 (which i sold to get this new one) is night and day. If someone tells me that this guitar is chambered i can completely believe it.

As always do, i prefer to try out the guitar unplugged first.

Let me share the joy and post some pics and also ask you something.

As you can see in the last picture, by the side of the fretboard there like a glossy surface, skin.. dont know the name of that. It started to peel off in that 2nd fret. Is there a way to stop that? Of course i dont see that as big issue but stills i want to ensure is not coming off.

The saddles ... i dont really love them but i guess i can live with them for a while. As you can see the spacing between A and D is a little wider than E-A.. and i cant move that A string down just a little.

About the polepieces.. its clear it was just the shot. Strings are alligned over the polepieces without any issue.

Thanks again for your help!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cbh5150 likes this.

9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    I would just lightly scotch brite the second fret area , very lightly to even it out

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Man that is sweet.

11. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    I agree with Stubee. That's beautiful.

12. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Nothing beats my '64. They're wonderful guitars. The bridge questions in the OP are kinda like commenting that the Mona Lisa has a little bit of mustache... :D

13. pieterh

pieterh TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Trosa, Sweden
    Sweet guitar, congrats!

I'm not a fan of those saddles though I have to say, I swapped out the bridge on my Classic 60s mainly for that reason. The strings would often hop over to the "wrong" groove producing the slight mis-alignment you mentioned. At the moment I have a 6-saddle bridge (sacrilege I know but it works well for me!) but might go back to 3-saddle but with brass compensated saddles instead.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.