Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Adding weight to a guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ricach, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ricach

ricach Tele-Meister

I've got a Turser T-body that I'd like to turn into a project, but I'm hesitating because its just too light for my tastes. My thought was to bore holes around the guitar and drop in lead fishing weights and then reseal, but from my calculations, I'd be lucky to add a pound. I'm hoping to add 2-3 lbs. Anybody expirement with adding weight to a guitar?

2. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I'd think you could plane it past the roundover and laminate on some heavier wood, like maple, mahogany, sapele, purpleheart, or something.

Or you could just put a Bigsby on it. :D

3. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

I am thinking a trade for a heavy body would not be too hard to arrange. If my assumption that light is more popular than heavy generally...

Sounds like you nee a pine CV 50 body like my 5.8 lber.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Years ago a friend of mine handed me his guitar with a big grin on his face. I grabbed it by the neck and dropped it. He did exactly what you have in mind but he did it trying to get more sustain. He was so happy with himself that I didn't have the heart to mention that there was a reason that they make bells out bronze and not lead. Plus he was one bad ass player who had taught me a lot about guitaring.

The guitar was actually an early 50s Esquire, but it already had a Strat whammy, a triple coil bridge pickup, and I can't remember what it had for a neck pickup.

6. ricach

ricach Tele-Meister

Good ideas. Thanks. But how much weight would 1/4" or so piece actually add?

While looking for lead ingots to possible melt and pour into holes, I found a website that sells lead rods 3/4" diameter by the foot. 2 feet gets me 3lbs of lead for $25 shipped. rotometals.com

Maybe start by inserting four 4" pieces (about 2 pounds) deep in the body around the edge and add more if necessary.

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Go to your local garage and ask them to save up the used wheel weights for you.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Just get a heavier guitar you like.:D
    Doncha' think?:rolleyes:

9. robt57

Route a square out of the back down low, fill it with a piece of steel/lead. Or just a bunch of fishing weights and some goo like a glue to keep from rattling and make a cover, or use a Strat Trem cover over. Or if you fill it flush [use plastic wood] after you put in the small fishing weighs [mixed with plastic wood to secure and anti rattle] and trowel flat. Then a big enough pin up Gal decal can cover the patched hole. Just thinking out loud....

That is option Down And Dirty.

Second option, Forstner drill 1-3/8" hole in from the edge on the bottom edge and fill with lead or steel bar stock. Maybe use the bit same size as the bar stock, press in 1/16" deep and fill over with plastic wood, spray edge to match or glue a Dano strip or a piece of an old guitar strap around the entire edge. In that case make the plugs flush. Or use some conchos to cover each hole/plug.

Maybe if you could get depleted uranium plugs, search ebay. :mrgreen:

Conchos can be got in western motif easily.

[​IMG]

Me... I'd go with my first post/idea....

10. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

^^^ Bill has a point. The wheel weight suggestion might just work!

11. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Over $7.00/lb for lead. Try looking for babbit (used for bearings.) I have about 5 lbs of it you can have if you come and get it. I don't plan on putting new bearings in any old tractors so you're welcome to it.

Wot, no Led Zeppelin jokes yet?:eek:

12. ricach

ricach Tele-Meister

Half that cost is shipping. I'm looking local to see who might carry something like that.

The wheel weights is a great idea but I still would have to buy something to melt those puppies in. Any household item that could handle that? don't really want to use my cast iron skillet for that. lol.

The idea with the rods is just drill a few 3/4" holes in the side, pound in the rods and cover with a dowel rod. I'll have some refinishing to do but that's the case with most ideas. One thing I haven't figured out is, if I don't like this, how am I going to...........................get the led out? :mrgreen:

13. robt57

Well, plumbers use a cast iron ladle [I have one] to pour the melted lead into the seams of cast iron sewer pipe. I guess yo could melt and pour from that if you had one. What if your wood ignites from the hot lead is my question.

You could use 1" re-bar cut into pieces inserted into the edges a covered filled over etc. Easy to find cheap too. It has raised ridges so the interference fit may be a bit easier to insert... maybe....

14. ricach

ricach Tele-Meister

I ruled out rebar mainly because I have no way to cut it. As for the molten lead and wood? Guess I would test it first maybe on the inside rout. I don't expect it go up in flames right off, but if it starts to smolder, it could pose a problem.

15. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Too light? Obviously you haven't been playing any 4 and 6 hr gigs lately. :mrgreen:

16. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Isn't lead soft enough that you can just hammer it into the shape you want without melting it?

17. ricach

ricach Tele-Meister

Ever play 4 to 6 hours with a neck heavy guitar? lol. Actually I very rarely play a gig where I'm standing so it doesn't really matter. But just like the neck shape can make a difference, so does feeling a nice solid body resting on my lap.

18. robt57

You could work on it for a few hours and when you get home to go look, see a pile of ashes with lead among the carnage. LOL

19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Go to the home center and buy some bolts....hacksaw the head off... drill some holes....epoxy them in....plug with dowels.

20. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I would think you could melt lead with a setup for casting muzzloader bullets, not sure how you'd form it, but you could probably make some discs and them drill cavities with a forstner to put the discs into.

If you're gonna be putting metal into the guitar I'd try to make it visible so that some future owner doesn't take a router to it. I mean someone might decide to route a cavity for a pre-amp, battery box, etc and could be seriously injured when the router hit metal.

21. ricach

ricach Tele-Meister

Found a bolt weight calculator (believe it or not). If you load a 1/2" hex bolt with nuts, it will be almost comparable in weight per inch as lead. I find that surprising since weight density of lead to steel is about 11 to 8. Now does anybody know what those zinc-plated bolts at the local hardware store are made from?

I'm guessing that a 1/2" hex loaded with nuts would require a 3/4" or so hole. And no need to saw off the head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.