Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Added middle pickup to my CV BSB tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ThorTC, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ThorTC

ThorTC TDPRI Member

May 1, 2012
    Isla Bermeja
    I have had my CV tele since 2011 and have up to this point only replaced the jack socket with an Electrosocket unit. A few weeks ago I went to a guitar store and played a Nashville Tele and loved the three pickup configuration but didn't want to buy a strat. I decided to finally do some more involved guitar modding to convert my tele to a 3 pickup unit and after it was done the only thing I regretted was not doing it years earlier! I bought the following to complete the project:

- Nashville tele 5 screw scratchplate in black
    - Fender 50's RI strat middle pickup
    - 4 pole superswitch (probably could have used 2 pole switch)
    - Copper shielding tape (to shield the cavities while I had everything apart)

I routed the body underneath the pickguard similar to Nashville tele specs giving it more of a swimming pool route. You can see where the original route was from the black shielding paint.
    0801172009.jpg

I really like the bridge\neck position sound in the tele and didn't want to give that up so I bought the super switch in order to have the following pickup positions.
    1. Bridge
    2. Bridge\Middle
    3. Neck\Bridge
    4. Neck\Middle
    5. Neck

Before I wired everything up, I did some research and learned that some people were having issues with the super switch being too large to fit in the tele cavity without additional routing. Luckily the switch fit perfectly with just enough room into the CV 50's cavity, no modification needed.

After plugging it into the amp the first time and trying all positions, I have to say I am extremely pleased with the outcome. I have always wanted the out of phase middle pickup positions and I get those without losing any of the original telecaster positions.

0817172229.jpg

nojazzhere, Lars F, Route67 and 8 others like this.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

3. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Congrats on a no-nonsense upgrade .... as you say, only upsides with nothing lost. You made it yours! If I didn't already have a strat, I'd consider doing the same thing to one of my teles.

4. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I thought hard about doing something similar to a Baja, but then I found a Strat with a neck I liked even more, so I ended up with the Strat. Tried a Nashville, but really didn't like the 12" radius neck...

I like the middle pickup too much on its own, though, to give that up. My Strat had a super switch and had the neck/bridge combo in position 4 with the neck/middle out of phase in a tricky ghost position between 3 and 4, that wasn't always easy (or quick) to find. I love that position and don't love the neck/bridge on the Strat, so I swapped it for a standard five-way. I think if I'd have wanted that neck/bridge position (which I probably would on a tele), I'd have added a push pull pot or a separate small switch to always be able to turn on the bridge or neck from any position, which would also allow you to turn all three pickups on...

I don't do my own surgery though, and am always impressed with those of you who do. This looks really well done. And a tele with those extra Strat sounds is kind of a best of all worlds solutions. Enjoy!

5. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Nice mod! I've never done any routing like that before - how hard is it to do? I took my CV from 2 pickups to 1, now you've got me thinking I should get another CV and go from 2 to 3 pickups!

6. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    Did you really wire the middle pickup out of phase and if yes, why? The strat "quack" sounds one would normally aim to obtain with a three pickup set-up are not out of phase.

7. ThorTC

ThorTC TDPRI Member

May 1, 2012
    Isla Bermeja
    I might have mislabeled the term, they are wired in parallel in standard strat configuration. Thanks everyone on the compliments!

8. ThorTC

ThorTC TDPRI Member

May 1, 2012
    Isla Bermeja
    The routing was not that difficult to do, this project was the first time I have used a router in any capacity so if I could do it anyone could :)

I found a picture of the routing measurements online, drew them on the guitar and just made sure I stayed within those boundaries. You just have to get familiar on how to adjust the depth and setting on the particular router. Also using the correct bit is crucial and doing some practice on a throw away piece of wood helps.

9. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast

10. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2006
    phx az
    hew doed good Thortc , eye'm fairly certain that a blind man would be happy to sea it [which happens to be meye overall standard ]

11. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Well played..!

Regards,

Lars

12. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal

13. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2006
    phx az
    thortc hew duh man, eye put a 4way switch in my bsb classic vibe that mostly lives by my bed and is played through a pignose 7100 as a noodle around with various tv shows
    and or musical dvds.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Really cool! If you can see my avatar well enough, my main geetar is a 1993 Korean Tele with a middle pickup added. I left the standard 3 position switch, and added a mini-toggle between the volume and tone for the middle p/u. I may go with a custom control plate for three mini-toggles, and then I can easily (and quickly) go with any configuration. I rarely use the middle, but it's there for that Richard Thompson/ Mark Knopfler sound.

15. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Man, you're giving me ideas for my next mod. That looks great. Where did you get the pickguard?

16. ThorTC

ThorTC TDPRI Member

May 1, 2012
    Isla Bermeja
    I got the pickguard from stratosphereparts.com. It took me a while to find a 5 hole Nashville style guard since the standard ones are 8 hole.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.