Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Adapting a kinda-custom pickguard to a standard Tele: is it possible?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by david-rf, Jun 4, 2016.

1. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    Hi there,
    I finally have my first Tele (a black 2013 mexican standard in as new conditions), but I want to immediately change the pickguard.

[​IMG]

I don't even want to shoot proper "NGD" pics with that pickguard on.

I have the original white one too, but I was wondering if it's possible to adapt to my guitar something like this:

[​IMG]

maybe using the holes that are already there for the metal plate (and thus removing it). Can it be done?

Thanks

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Sure, it can be done. I don't know of an off the shelf pickguard like you describe, but you could make your own from a piece of pickguard material. Use the existing pickguard and control plate for patterns, add your own touches, and cut away.

3. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    You'd have to cover or fill & paint, if you don't want to see the existing mounting holes. If it were me,
    I think I would buy a junky old version of the one you like, overlay your current guard and sketch what you want, with the mounting holes where you want them. Then have one of the custom guard shops make it for you. I've had a couple of custom guards made over the years. It's certainly doable.

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    You would also have to change the bridge if you want a pickguard like on the white tele you posted.

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My old X Squier Whibley guard might get you close..for a pattern...;)

DSCN0303.JPG

6. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    Ok, I will look into it! Thanks a lot

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.