Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acronym and jargon busting

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Paul Jenkin, Sep 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    When I get a few quiet moments, I like to read a few random threads. I'm working on the basis that I will pick up on something interesting and informative that might benefit me down the line.

However, the more I read, the more acronyms and jargon I see. As I don't have any in-depth knowledge of guitar manufacturing, the history / evolution of any guitar brands / models or commonly used terms for things, etc. it's like reading a foreign language.

Now, I'm not asking people to change anything about terminology or the way they post but I am wondering if there's a thread on the site that acts as a glossary / dictionary for those of us (and I'm assuming that I'm probably not alone) who want to catch up a bit without having to post questions asking for clarification all the time.

2. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Good idea. Why not use this thread?

What acronyms do you see? Make a list and we can decipher...

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Lol....I went to that acronym finder and went down to "PR". I have to note that the use of PR is not definitive. There are two Fender amps that have those two letters....Princeton Reverb and Pro Reverb. Sometimes we are lazy people, ime and imho, and that laziness leads to confusion and misunderstanding.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    It's still a pretty good resource. :)

Wally likes this.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Without a doubt it can help someone....

6. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    When I run into an acronym I'm not familiar with or can't figure out from the context, I just post a question asking what is meant by the acronym being used (you're among friends here). This way, I'm not reading something wrong and being misinformed.

I worked in a music store for a number of years and guitar people have a rich glossary of terms ( like "zebra" pickups or
    Gibson cowbells [truss rod cover plates] or "squashed frogs" [headstock inlay] and so forth).

7. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    "CV" is Classic Vibe? And all this time I thought it Constant Velocity! I gotta get out more....

mitchfinck likes this.

8. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    I am Anti Acronym. I was going to form a group and hold meetings but apparently someone beat me to it.

9. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Great, and many thanks - that's taken care of a few!

I keep seeing "ASAT" which seems to be a registered trademark for G&L. Does ASAT stand for anything or is it just a name?

10. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thanks. I've been tempted to ask a few times but I don't want to be that irritating bloke who's always asking for a translation for the most inane acronyms / phrases. However, I will ask when I'm truly stumped and think it's something that I really want / need to know.

11. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I've got classic vibe joints all over my car.

jackinjax likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.