Acoustic or Semihollow?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danjabellza, Jun 12, 2019.

Which should I get?

Poll closed Yesterday at 2:46 PM.
  1. GPCRSGT

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. AS83-VLS

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

A little background: two guitars I’ve been itching for for a long time are: a 335 style, and a Martin acoustic.

I’ve just bought a house which has had more than a few repairs and maintenance needed, so money is fairly tight.

I popped into my local pawn shop, to see if there are any new or interesting guitars, and there was a Martin GPCRSGT. It was priced low enough that I figured I’d kick myself for letting it go, So I put it on layaway.

I’m nearing the completion of my layaway, when I stumble upon a model of guitar I’ve not seen before... an Ibanez AS83-VLS which is a full-size 335 style guitar with abalone inlays outlines in mother of pearl, and the body has this really classy violin sunburst finish. It’s great, and about 2/3 the cost of the Martin.

Both guitars more or less check the boxes for guitars I’m wanting. Both at great prices, I’d be getting some money back on the Ibanez... but, a decent acoustic is lacking in my collection. so... what would you do?
    189B22AF-A51C-4683-BB47-E2B50733097A.jpeg 77D09B0A-FA94-4630-8D41-1DBAF640AAF0.jpeg

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It's just apples and oranges really. Sounds like you need an acoustic. Be careful, There are some cheap Martins out there that aren't very good. I don't know the models though, had one years ago.
    Most Ibanez AS, AF types are pretty readily found anytime you want one. A ton of them out there.

verb boten and Danjabellza like this.
  3. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

I have two Ibanez artcore guitars, one semihollow and one full hollow. They're fantastic value for the money.

4. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Neither: Look at Keisel https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ae185

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Oddly enough I have an AS83 and a Martin GPCPA4, with the solid spruce and rosewood. I have loved both of these guitars but the AS83 will be heading off to craigslist soon while the martin I hope to will to my son. There are loads of 335 copies, like the as83, s93, Epi Dot, etc, which can be picked up for few hundred bucks used later on.

6. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

I bought an AF95 in 2011 (That I still have), last time I was still surprised by the power while playing unplugged.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Respectfully, I would pass on both for many personal reasons. Unless you can't put one of them down (and I doubt that is the case here), move on and find the guitar that you really like.

Your poll needs a box for "Neither".;)

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you have other electrics but you don’t have a true acoustic, skip the Ibanez and get an acoustic. A semi-hollow isn’t all that different from a solid-body, but an acoustic is a completely different instrument. I don’t know much about that particular Martin, but I’d recommend you just figure out a price you can spend and go play a few different acoustics and see which one won’t let you put it down, and buy it...

9. Danjabellza

That’s about what happened with this one. I played it right there in the pawn shop for over an hour before putting it on layaway. It’s the Mexican made road series, but it’s their top of the line for their Mexican production. I’ve played a couple others of the same model in the past that were equally fantastic. I do feel a little bit like I’m settling, since it’s not a “proper Nazareth” Martin. But... whatever. I certainly can’t afford a guitar that costs twice as much at this point. And the price was the lowest I’ve seen for them, even second hand. So I think that is the direction I should go. It’ll be nice to have a decent acoustic. I have one now, but it’s a thinline grand symphony with a laminate top. Not the greatest sounding or playing. This would be a huge step up for both.

Lake Placid Blue and raysachs like this.
  10. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

every guitar player should have a decent acoustic guitar

11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Get the acoustic, you could save for ever and never get the Martin "you want". This guitar is 90% or more of the expensive one.

You need a better acoustic. Who doesn't.

Ibanez 335 style guitars are dime a dozen. It looks nice and is cheaper so has the NOW factor.....don't fall for it.

:)

Harry Styron likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Personally I vote NEITHER......(I know you didn't offer that choice)
    I know people like their Ibanez's, but my preference is STILL the "gold standard", an ES 335, even if it's a Korean-made Epiphone. I know ZERO about the Mexican-made Martin, but I would ask what you want it for? Sitting around on the couch, entertaining friends on the patio, or recording a potential Grammy-winning hit? I rarely play acoustic, but I have a great little made in China Washburn concert-sized model that sounds pretty good, and only cost around $200 from Musician's Friend about fifteen years ago. But, let us know what you decide.....:)

13. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Also check ebay etc. for Masterbuilt Epiphone Acoustic Guitars. I love my one.

Sound great and probably don;t have the price premium of the Martin name.

14. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Get the Martin. Then save up and an Ibanez later. Or see if they’ll let you put that one on layaway as soon as the Martin is paid for. I don’t care if it’s American or Mexican made. If you played it and enjoyed then you need to buy it. Let us know what you decide.

Danjabellza and Mad Kiwi like this.
  15. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

As much as I love my Ibanez Artcores, I do have to agree that you shouldn't buy one new. They're easy to find used in great condition at two-thirds to half the price of a new one.

Before buying either one of these, spend ten minutes finding out what they're selling for on eBay and Reverb. It's a safe bet the pawn shop knows already, and you don't want to be unarmed in that duel.

16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, these are very different guitars and we have no way of knowing which you would choose based on the kind of guitar each is. In term of purse character and excellence, I'd go with the Martin. While Martins are losing their distinctiveness the more the company churns out lower-end models, quality control is still very good. The Ibanez is a very good guitar but there are trillions like that out there, under many brand names, but the Martin copies are not Martins. Of course, it the Martin is not a great deal, then I wouldn't go for it, either, as it is not a phenomenal guitar -- it is an excellent guitar for the money.

Danjabellza likes this.
  17. Danjabellza

Mostly playing at home, church, and maybe the occasional festival around here. Definitely not Grammy level stuff.

The Ibanez is actually not at the same shop, it’s online. Which adds a degree of uncertainty.

the artcores I’m looking at are second hand on reverb, roughly 2/3 the cost of the appropriately inexpensive used Martin, bottom end of second hand prices for this model.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  18. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I’d still get the Martin. Later on if you regret your purchase you can mail it to me because we’re friends and I’m willing to do that for you:)

nojazzhere and Danjabellza like this.
  19. Danjabellza

Hahah sounds good!

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  20. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think of all my acoustics as unwieldy hollow-body electrics anyway - they're all wired for sound, and about half of em with humbuckers. The one semi-hollow elec guitar I do have - a Gretsch G5620T-CB - is not the highest build quality but plays so nice, so easy that playing cheaper semi-hollows and hollow-bodies gives me zero satisfaction; I just want to go home and play the Gretsch.

I know, not helpful. I vote that you should buy BOTH.

Danjabellza likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.