Acoustic build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by printer2, Apr 10, 2013.

1. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

You can do an awful lot with a Drem-mill:D

A decent cross slide table, a few hold downs and some creativity on the jig thang will get any one set up for cooking up nifty wood parts that are highly accurate.

That bridge is cool looking...

With the flowing contours, it reminds me a bit of a licorice gumdrop.:lol:

2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Just inspiration, I like the look but doubt I would try a copy.

Now for some of the good, the bad, the ugly. Spent some time on the guitar today. You know when things do not go right they can really go wrong. Last time I bolted on the neck the fretboard was a little high off the top. Tried adjusting it, shaving the neck joint, it just was not cooperating. Also noticed the neck is now angled so a straightedge ends up well above the bridge. When I put in the bolts they did give me trouble, maybe I have to open up one of the holes. Took a bit slightly bigger than the hole in the neck block and proceeded to drill. Knew I should have used the Dremel.

[​IMG]

Well if the couple years where I tried my hand at flying RC models taught me anything it was how to fix things. Patched it up and nobody would know the better. Still ending up high on the bridge, chalk it up to this being my first ashtray in pottery class. Won't be perfect but might be playable. If not I can always take the bridge off and put a thicker one on, this one was a little thin anyway.

Speaking of the bridge, should have shaped it while it was off the guitar. Thought I could just tape off the top with duct tape and it would protect from any slips of the file I used to shape it. Boy cedar is soft. A few more dents to add to the other ones. My version of relicing a guitar.

Onward and upward I determined where the bridge pins should be and drilled the holes. Of course I do not have a 3 degree reamer for the pin holes, so what else could I do but make my own. I took some 1/16" steel, drew a 6" triangle on it with a 3 degree taper, cut it out and sanded it on the belt sander to the right shape. More of a scraper than a cutting tool but worked fine.

[​IMG]

Cleaned it up some and gave it a swipe of the wipe on poly. Wish I knew where my bridge pins are, will have to pick some up tomorrow.

[​IMG]

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

The positive side is that you are gaining invaluable experience at problem solving. That doesn't happen when you don't have any problems.

4. orangedrop

you can say that again!:lol:

When shaping the bridge you could use what we used to call a "Cheater", which was a good sized piece of thin sacrificial scrap with a hole for the object to be worked to poke through.

I vaguely recall Ron Kirn writing that he uses dampened paper to place between the guitar and a template to avoid scratches.

So maybe a little distilled water on a piece of acid free paper, drop this on the top, a slice of 1/16" masonite with a cutout for the bridge?

I dig your tapered scrapered:cool:

Did you chamfer the edges into a parallelogram cross section to create cutting edges?

5. printer2

Next time just shape the bridge before it gets glued on.

The profile of the reamer is square, not like you need much of an edge to remove wood, it just takes a little more force.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The bridge looks very nice!

7. printer2

Thanks, turned out better than I hoped.

Now for my Charley Brown Christmas tree. Quick, take a picture before it implodes.

[​IMG]

8. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Hey, it looks great in spite of the hiccups.

9. guitarbuilder

Excellent!

10. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Wow, one of the most beautiful and elegant acoustic guitar I've seen. Stunning job.

11. printer2

Thanks guys. Just happy it is done, warts and all. I rushed it and screwed up the fit and finish because I have some things coming up in the New Year. I knew if I did not finish it this week it may sit for a long time an it was worth it to me to have it to play.

12. printer2

13. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Hey, it sounds like a geetar !

14. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds promising! :D

15. guitarbuilder

Very nice. I'll bet the video doesn't do it justice and commend you for an anti-norm build. It warms my heart!

16. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Nice , looks good , sounds good :)

17. printer2

Thanks all of you, you helped me get through it. When I started this a bunch of acoustic builders did not think it was a good idea given the woods involved and that I should buy a real guitar set. Heck, up until I strung it up I didn't know if I spent half a year building a wall hanger. In the end it sounds like, well a guitar. Nothing really jumps out at you as wrong tone wise, heard cedar top guitars might be more suited to finger picking rather than strumming but this one doesn't care.

I still have to take down the nut and saddle to make it more playable, haven't even touched the truss rod or given it a fret job. Wonder if I could have gotten away without a truss rod, the neck has enough meat to it. It would be interesting to make a stripped down quickie build with one of the other sets I have. The niece's husband was wondering if I was going to make another on. He said he liked it.

18. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Nice kind of Taylor-esque sound. Great accomplishment.

19. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

man I think it looks and sounds great! nice work.

20. orangedrop

the bottom end is quite good for the small body and I think it sounds snappy.

Would love to hear a really good recording of it.

Did you have any concern about inducing "crappy" overtones into the camera body by placing it on a stool?:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.