Acoustasomething

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Clintstone, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Sorry, thats about the best I can do. The pic was copied from a review of the guitar (which I didn't think told me much). Anyway, my point is that in order to get some sort of "acoustic" sound they've got a lot more than just a piezo bridge.

Here was one I did with my son. Its got two humbuckers in a normal 2V2T 3 way switch configuration and a Fishman ToM bridge with 6 little piezo crystals. The PCB only gathers the separate signals into one output. We ran the piezo output separate from the 'buckers since piezo's have such high impedance and want to have their own pre amp.

IMG_2174.JPG

The piezo bridge does have its own passive volume control (right side of picture).

I only had a short opportunity to play this guitar but was very underwhelmed by the Fishman bridge. I didn't think it sounded good at all and certainly not "acoustic". My son must feel the same, last time I asked he said he never plays that guitar.

Moodivarius and Ekko like this.
  2. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Please take it with a grain of salt.
    Using a blend pot or any passive means to combine an unbuffered piezo and mag pup will result in less than optimal results as compared to an active mixer / blend circuit. While you will find people who swear by it, and in my eyes talk up the results, there is just the electrical side of it that speaks against connecting a high impedance piezo in the meg ohm area with a low impedance mag pup at 5-20kilo ohm range ( depending on the pup).

If you have $8 and want to invest in the name of science and curiosity get one of these eq-7545 on ebay or elsewhere with free shipping. Hook up the piezo to that, then try blending it passively with a pot. You might have to insert series resistor on the preamp output because that preamp will overpower the mag pups otherwise. This is still not ideal as compared to an active blender but will yield far better results than just the fishman piezo bridge (which us really a good product) connected to the mag pups with a pot. These eq-7545 are not high end and tend to be a bit noisy. But for 8 buck they are ideal to learn what diffence it makes to buffer a piezo. Now if you liked the result then just tear away all the plastic and replace the sliding pots on the 7545 with tiny trim pots that you can use set the tone at a fixed setting of your liking , isolate everything and burry it in the electronics cavity.

3. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Ok ok. I want to buy one of these bodies now. Who’s gonna make and sell them?? :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.