Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Rush - there is absolutely nothing I like about this band. The nails-on-a-blackboard singing, cheesy sixth-former lyrics. I often see their guitarist and drummer come up in lists of greatest rock musicians, which for the life of me I can't explain, based on what I've heard.

Springsteen - while I can see how he appeals to some people, he's not for me at all. His songs sound so ordinary, I can't stand his singing and then there's that flippin' sax.

troy2003, RoyBGood and OlRedNeckHippy like this.

2. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Hate It Here is one of the best post-breakup songs you will ever hear!

Also worth checking out are the docos of Ashes of American Flags and I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    middy and thesamhill like this.

3. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Agree about Rush. How did they become a famous band? Just awful.

Flakey and Mid Life Crisis like this.

4. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Have tried to like them..the movie "I Love You Man" was the final nail in the coffin

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I like or dislike songs...not bands.

jackinjax likes this.

6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Rush.
    Yup, I'm in the 'Can't Stand Rush Club'. Seems to be a pretty big club.

Honorable Mentions of Dislike:
    Moody Blues
    Styx and Kansas (are they the same band?)
    Heart
    ..... :eek:

7. drob

drob Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    Toronto
    Red Hot Chili Peppers.

jackinjax likes this.

8. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    This is a great thread. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who never understood the affinity with Loose Bedspring, er, I mean Bruce Springsteen. :)

Never understood the love for Jimi Hendrix, Zep, or the Stones either. I can appreciate the talent and some of the innovation but never cared much for the music. I'm a child of the hair band generation so I love me some flashy fretboard work but I prefer the work of those such as Eric Johnson over Hendrix or Page.

My 2c.

9. jabsalt

jabsalt Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2007
    New York
    Beatles, Rush, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac.......Er late 90's and on

10. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    U2, big time. The Beatles didn't click for me until after I became a musician. Now I think they're brilliant

jackinjax likes this.

11. jabsalt

jabsalt Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2007
    New York
    Patridge Family and Brady Kids.....Oh sorry SUPPOSED to like

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

12. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Mostly it's not the band or the individual artists I like or dislike, it's the music.
    For every song the Beatles, or Rolling Stones did that I liked, they did three or four that I hated.
    After about 1976 that ratio increases exponentially.

Popular artists that I just never got:

Prince
    Kurt Cobain
    Bruce Springsteen
    Etc

Genres I just never got:

Heavy Metal (Headbanger music)
    Punk Rock
    Grunge
    Hip Hop
    Rap
    Etc

troy2003 and OlRedNeckHippy like this.

13. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    There are many in this list that I agree with, but for me, the Beatles, Pink Floyd and the Eagles stand out the most. I appreciate some of the Beatles' and Pink Floyd's work, and I know why I should like them, I have just never enjoyed listening to them. The Eagles, I am not sure why I am supposed to like them, but they get a lot of love. I think Jeff Lebowski really hit the nail on the head and I quote him often.

There are a lot of others people have mentioned: Rush, Foreigner, Foghat, and pretty much every other inane classic rock soundtrack band, I dislike many of them, but I don't feel as though I am expected to like them because, well, who does?

Then there are the 'over-exposed' bands. I went through a huge Led Zeppelin phase but rarely listen now, have gone through periods of a lot or a little Hendrix and many others. I just don't need to hear it as much as I used to, I guess.

ac15 likes this.

14. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    The Who
    Simple Minds

15. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Some of these bands on the list I agree with, and I think there is something interesting with some of them in that they have been around for a very long time, and have kept selling a lot of tickets and albums, but their sound has changed quite a bit.

U2 - I went from loving their 80s and 90s music to hating what they've done since about 2000. I had tickets to go see them in 2001, and managed to have a motorcycle accident the day of the concert. I wasn't really hurt enough to not go to the concert but ended up giving the ticket away more out of being mentally shook up from the accident. AFAICT they basically jumped the Shark with "Pop" or "All that you can't leave behind." For me this is mostly about the fact that Bono seemed to change his singing style.. he's more doing spoken word as opposed to the singing on the early albums. And the lyrics have become incredibly preachy.

Aerosmith - same thing, love their earlier stuff, hate almost everything after Pump. Really maybe it all fell apart with "Nine Lives".

I can't even get through one song of Radiohead, don't get it at all.

I liked Springsteen at once point, I've seen him live, it was a good concert, but I don't really like him anymore.. I agree with someone's point about it all being overly arranged. People talk about him playing a Tele have the time you can't even tell he's playing guitar at all as there are so many instruments in the mix!

Phish is weird, I've seen them once a long time ago, I didn't appreciate the level of drugs at the show, over time I've come to appreciate them. I like their new album quite a bit.

No one is mentioning it but there are huge swaths of music and entire genres that no one is mentioning in this thread. I have a real hard time listening to most of the modern Pop, Hip Hop, Rap, etc.. I like some of the more gangstery rap from the early 90s but the modern stuff I don't. Every time we have the Grammy's there is a huge boo hoo about Beyonce not winning everything.. don't get it at all. She's got a catchy song once in a while but AFAIK she doesn't even write her own music and I miss a ton of it.

Adele as well.. good at first, now every song sounds about the same, it's Muzak to me now.

16. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Another vote for Rush and I'll add RHCP, Nirvana, Kiss, Jeff Beck ( I really want to like him), Eagles,

17. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    All progressive rock bands. Boston is at the top of the list. If they come on the radio, I turn it off.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

18. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Ah yes. Great thread.

Other things I don't like, that other people do:

Hush Puppies
    Vanilla Ice Cream
    Coffee
    Mexican fast food
    Chinos
    Nylon sweaters
    People who can't park in spaces properly
    Guys who put loud pipes on their cars
    Low riders
    Hi Tops
    baggy jeans

I have more, but I feel I've enlightened everyone enough with my personal preferences, and they've provided endless discussion to this intellectual and insightful thread about what we all "should" like.

Owenmoney and middy like this.

19. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    I think the idea is stuff that ticks all your boxes but you still don't like . If you don't like hip hop or polka or Bollywood soundtracks or klezmer at all then they aren't answering the OPs question. Something like that anyway...:)

ndeli55 likes this.

20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.