Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm sure that there would be plenty if I listened to stuff I don't like, but I don't as a rule.

However, my bandmates like Bon Jovi and Dire Straits and I try my very best to avoid them.

uriah1 likes this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Also, I'd rather listen to a jackhammer all day than to hear 5 seconds of Phil Collins. I was going to mention this earlier, but I wasn't sure if he was 'acclaimed' enough lol

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    The "overrated" thing always baffled me. Like, you really can't turn off the radio, it's THAT crucial to your musical experience?

I think I know a lot music lovers but I don't spend my hours walking around taking polls and quite frankly I can't remember having any band shoved down my throat through other means.

That said, I'll throw in my 2 cents of hate but it's less band oriented.

Drummers with the whitest concept of time sounding like a 2 year old kid playing german march beats. So, Guns & Roses, lots of Hair Bands, Bon Jovi, etc.

Guitar based acts where it seems like you meet many less than above-the-curve types who not only learn EVERY lick the dude played, but they need to dress just like, carry an attitude, and expect others to grovel at their feet as if we're in the presence of greatness even beyond their cover gig. EVH'ers, Slash' dudes, SRV'ers, and certain shred-heads. I mean, I learned "Eruption" "Sweet Child" "Texas Flood" and so many other of their solos/tunes but at no point did one of these guys move in, marry mom, and make me call them "daddy." Not that they couldn't, but they have LOTS of offspring across this great nation and it shows. Oh, add the dude from Phish to that list!

Also, The Clash, The Ramones, The Who, and those 70's "party rock" bands.

5. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    I don't like Pink Floyd at all, and never really got Led Zeppelin. I also don't like The Beatles' later stuff. I like their early pop stuff best!

troy2003 and AngelDeville like this.

6. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    For me, Rush... Geddy Lee's voice just doesn't do it for me.
    Styx was another one, saw them live, very polished but too "staged" for my taste, no spontaneity.

troy2003 and Owenmoney like this.

7. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Mine would have to be...

U2: decent grooves and songs, but I only dig, like, 2 of them. Just from the creativity/simplicity of the Edge's guitar parts, I should be studying their songs.

The Grateful Dead: I really like the Allman Bros, don't mind some Widespread Panic, I can listen to Phish, but I only like "A Touch of Grey" by the Dead. "Casey Jones" and "Truckin'" are listenable, and I do a countrified version of "Friend of the Devil." But I really can't stand anything else they do. I don't even like their version of "Friend of the Devil." Hell, I don't like the Counting Crows' version of "FotD" and Counting Crows are my favorite damn band (due to the songwriting).

Operation Ivy: I dig punk/ska stuff. I really like Rancid, even. But OpIvy just doesn't seem to hit me right.

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Even Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile and Eleven Roses?

9. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I love music. ALL music. Well, some country I do not like. But there is one band that I really do not like. Any time I mention that I don't like this band people FREAK OUT! I almost can't say it now for fear of the backlash. Well here we go, hit me with sticks and throw rocks. I AM NOT FOND OF ACDC. (runs and hides)

10. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    Led Zeppelin.
    Rush.

Don't understand the lack of love for The Who. I understand how Bruce, Boston, or Pink Floyd could get on ones nerves. I guess I'm trying to find the "nails on the blackboard" effect in The Who that has gotten to a number of people. What am I overlooking there?

11. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    There's not a single band I *should* like. That's the problem with the premise. It's an utter denial of the fact of subjectivity.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Journey (Though for some reason I liked "Wheel in the Sky" when I was in college.)

Aerosmith - I always thought they were trying too hard to be a mix of the Stones and the Yardbirds

Lynard Skynyrd - They certainly weren't the Allman Brothers. My bass player grew up a Northern geek in Alabama. He really hates them.

I like Paul Simon OK, but I'd heard a lot of "World Music" before Graceland. He appropriated a lot of grooves to make that album. People act like he invented it.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Yup, afraid so.

14. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I didn't get it when everyone was raving about the Beatles in the 60s, and I still don't. However, I'm not the rock band type, with the exception of Buddy Holly and the Stones.

15. Anaxes

Anaxes TDPRI Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Chicago
    I'm a decently big phish Phan but I totally understand why people to like them, they are a bit out there, niche and not everyone is up to listen to a 15+ minute jam.

16. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

The Who and Tool.

17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    I dunno. It's easy to say that you don't care for a band years after the fact, because of old hat, overplayed on the radio, or whatever. And, it's easy to be a critic towards bands that worked so hard to get where they got. Nobody is gonna like every band. Yeah, there are bands' music that I don't/didn't like, but most of us will never attain that level of success.

The Devil's Advocate

18. farmcaster

farmcaster TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Clevelandish

19. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I like some Jambands, hence why I always thought I *should* like them. And I respect fishman and Trey and especially in other projects. But yeah, they just never did it for me the way that at different time periods widespread, moe. and umph did.

20. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Wow What an eclectic list,
    I could never wrap my head around C&W any of it new old doesnt matter. was never fond of Credence but have all the respect in the world for fogerty, never likesd the Eagles , liked joe walsh, never liked blue grass only 2 songs -Man of constant sorrow , and goose creek symphonies, Talkin' about Goose creek and other important places.
    Liked all of George Harrisons stuff,with /without beatles. loved Jimi hendrix chord usage ,didnt care for his lead playing

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.