Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Foo Fighters- they just do nothing for me.

3. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Me either, except I love the single from their forthcoming album- the song "Run". It's as if he mixed a Wings song and a Black Death metal song. And I weirdly love it.

And incidentally- holy cow this thread is still going!

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Yes...nope.

Rush.

Early Genesis

ELP

REO Speedway

Prog-rock in general.

Hair Metal in general.

Bon Jovi

Most Jeff Beck (notable exceptions)

Bonnamassa.
    Love his collection and enthusiasm. Just not inspired by his music.

Aerosmith after "done with mirrors"

Robin Trower.

5. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    99.9% of the Nash-Vegas bullhead heard on mainstream "Country" radio. Def Leppard with a fiddle...and I hate Def Leppard.

elihu likes this.

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I'm gonna speculate here that as we get older our musical preferences change because we start seeing through superficial things like timbre and the "big beat" and catchy but repetitive lyrics and start to foster an appreciation for a thoughtful melody melded with a well crafted lyric...

or maybe not.

Ahh, who the bleep knows...

and I love Robin Trower....

but I don't wanna be him anymore.

7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    I can't believe someone said Kiss. Kiss are not an acclaimed band. I have never, ever read one single word of praise for anything they've ever done, and I've been reading rock music reviews since 1977. I've never heard any musicians praising them either. I did play in a band with a guy who had an Ace Frehley poster in his bedroom, but it was the 70s and we were kids.

8. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Pink Floyd
    Arcade Fire
    Modest Mouse
    Bruce Springsteen
    Phish
    Primus
    The Clash
    Genesis
    Iggy Pop
    The Eagles

I'm sure there are more, but I don't want to spend any more time thinking about it.

9. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    I can only suggest the emperors new clothes, like a lot of bands.

10. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I never got the Grateful Dead, I've never liked " jam " bands or prog rock, but the Dead was a band that on paper I should have liked, BUT, nobody in that band could sing, and the songwriting just left me cold....same thing with the lyrics of Robert Hunter....just don't like them....never was a fan, I tried but....NOTHING....and another one I just don't get is STING....he is, as far as I'm concerned the most pretentious rock star ever, he actually made Billy Idol's sneer look believable!?!?....and he makes music so boring it wouldn't even make good elevator music....ugh....I need a shower....

RJ

11. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    My trying-way-too-hard-to-be-Joey cover might make you hate the Ramones (but at least it was fun to do)...

12. VanWhelan

VanWhelan TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2017
    US
    Led Zeppelin

Some good songs, but just never got into them at all

13. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    Funny, I just thumbed through this thread and all of my answers were already listed: Steely Dan, Yes, Rush, Zappa, Grateful Dead, Phish, The Ramones, Guns and Roses, etc.

I wonder how these bands became “acclaimed” in the first place?

I could never get into Springsteen either.

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    This is a really stupid, pointless thread. Everyone has different tastes, and if you're not a fan of the same people as me, or vice-versa, who cares?

howlin likes this.

15. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    "Should"? Really? As a dearly departed friend once said to me, "Don't should on me".

When in comes to music I don't see the need for should at all. As far as liking a band, who cares? IMHE most bands of renown usually have something credible or at least listenable from time-to-time. I listen to the music first the band and all that other stuff comes in a distant second FWIW.

16. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I think the "should" comes from the idea that there are some bands, in spite of the fact they're EXCELLENT musicians, you just don't dig.

Each and every one of the 786 people who were in Yes were masters of their craft...but I just don't dig it. (this is true of Prog-rock in general, at least for me)

I should like Bonnamassa...he checks off many of the boxes of things I like or admire...
    Gear Nerd; check
    Blues/Blues Rock; check
    Great collector who plays his collection; check
    Good businessman who won "outside" the system; check

...but his music just doesn't inspire me.
    I'd probably like him personally, but I just don't dig his music

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

17. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    Thank you! I had no idea what the word should meant until now. I feel enriched somehow... :rolleyes:

18. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Wait! Another! (Because the world needs to know.)

Prince.

I cannot hear Prince.

I listen to all sorts of music, from middle-of-the-road pop to European Free Improv, but I can't listen to Prince. Most of his stuff is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Sure, I respect his work but for the most part my ears simply refuse to go along with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.