Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

This point is to be negative and you're not helping in this regard, sunshine!

Mr Scallywag and Gibson like this.

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

Negatory, Captain

3. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Irritated by Frank Zappa, incensed by Supertramp, revolted by Dave Matthews, bored by Tragically Hip, non-plussed by Steely Dan, this could take a while…other things to do

moosie likes this.

4. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA
    Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews, Kenny Chesney

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    What I learned from this thread:

1) Everyone has an opinion, and boy do they.

2) Everyone here has an abundance of free time.

AAT65 and Uncle Bob like this.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    It may be too soon, but I've really never cared for Steely Dan.

Anode100 likes this.

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Me neither.

Clearly very talented musicians, but 'meh'.

Zappa, too - musically brilliant, but the minute he opens his cake-hole, I switch off.

Captain Beefheart sounds like someone took a crap in a Piano.

hellopike likes this.

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    U2 - a load of people rave about them but they're just a collection of poseurs, IMO. "De Edge" switches me off instantly. Check this out if you want to see how his style appears to me:

Besquire, hellopike and AAT65 like this.

9. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    Creedance clearwater revival
    Metallica, Megadeth etc
    Steve Vai
    Jeff Beck

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Zappa / Steely Dan / Grateful Dead.... urghhh

11. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I never got the whole Grateful Dead thing....to me, nobody in that band could sing a lick...just horrible vocals....and I was never into long jams...hated Cream for the same dumb thing.....a Ginger Baker drum solo for 20+ minutes....better than sleeping pills....and way too many others to list....ymmv...

RJ

hellopike likes this.

12. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

The Beatles. Bod Dylan. Dave Matthews.

13. Paully

Paully Tele-Meister

May 29, 2014
    Lewiston Maine USA
    REO and Elton John.
    Don't know what others hear in them.
    I can't get through a whole song by
    either of them.

14. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado
    Any band on "classic rock" radio. I blame commercial radio and its audience that has to hear the same thing for perpetuity. After 45+ years I'm entitled to change.

15. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    It's Springsteen, more than any other. I've never understood entirely why, but I couldn't listen him back when, and I can't listen to him now. And it's not for want of trying, either; at one point I had his first five or six albums. The critics loved him, and his biography is both interesting and surprisingly revealing, and I wish the guy all the best, but my ears simply refuse to go along with his music. And that's all there is to it.

Pointmonger likes this.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Mr. L Please listen to Reelin' in... from the Old Grey Whistle Train ( circa 1973) as well as Rikki Don't Lose that Number.
    Many of their songs from their early albums.
    Wow! I am so surprised that the greatest jazz/rock band of the 70's , who taught me a lot, does not interest you. PLEASE go back and listen.

17. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    We had tickets to see U2 when they played the stadium literally 5 minutes' walk from our house. I decided that I wouldn't ever get those 3 hours back so I gave my ticket away and stayed at home to babysit the kids... never regretted that decision and never will!!

18. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    To my mind your wife displayed serious comprehension there. If you're not getting hooked by what she mentioned, 'The Boss' pretty much deliveres neat and proper Rock Music: nothing special to get excited about (though I like 'Greetings from Asbury Park'). I'm in your boat!

Not digging / liking / acknoledging the Beatles without giving a traceable explanation in my opinion is 'difficult'.

hellopike likes this.

19. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Reelin ? Yes. But that was basically down to Elliott Randall ... not an member of Steely Dan. And the rest of their work ... just dreary IMHO.

TBH I'm more surprised when I like actually like a well known band than when I don't. And when someone else likes anything I do. Not sure if that says more about me or everyone else. ;)

So the list of 'acclaimed' bands you couldn't pay me to listen to is too long to fit here.

And given the way a lot of people seem to vote these days, I'm kind of glad I don't have music in common with them either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.