Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay

Well, then there are two of us - at least.

I'll add to the heresy another name, this one by myself: Jimi Hendrix.

Now, let's go to the stake... :eek:

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    The Rolling Stones. Love the music, really don't like Mick Jaggers voice. It grates. Pity really as they have some fantastic material. I find Mick even more painful to watch.
    Led Zeppelin. As a teenager, I quite liked a lot of their stuff, but even then 'Ooh baby-baby' every song and the endless references to dangly bits along with the overplayed STH got on my nerves. Other than an occasional lapse with the 'Ohh baby-baby' stuff, I quite like some of Planty's solo work. His CD with Alison Krauss I find to be superb. JPJ is always interesting too. Zooma and The Lightning Thief rock!
    Wifey still listens to them. Sometimes, I put I,III or Prescence in the CD player. They could be awesome, they could be excruciating.
    Bruce Springsteen. Nope. Never gelled with me. Good writer, great performer. Not for me.
    Def Leppard. Bwahahahahahaha. No. Just no.
    Guns'n'Roses. I like two or three songs of theirs. Axl reminds me of a dentist drill from the 70's when he squawks. Again, some good tunes though.

I can almost feel the flames licking around my nethers as I writhe at the stake.

3. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Some folks called the Ramones bubble gum with distortion. To those critics, the Ramones were not worthy of carrying the punk banner. I really never cared about the labels. I just enjoyed their music.

The tunes were catchy and easy to play. The lyrics: well, I never laughed so hard as the first time I heard a Ramones album and paid attention them.

"PT boat on the way to Havana, I used to make a living man, picking the banana". Talk about politically incorrect! It is sugar in Havana...sugar. Bananas are Central America!

As for the NY Dolls, never cared for them."Hot, Hot, Hot" says it all.

Minimalist518 likes this.

4. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    I hate Styx, Phish, and anything involving Phil Phreaking Collins.

5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Even this?

6. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    Especially this. Absofreakinglutely awful, but at least the bald hobbit wasn't singing.

7. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    The worst offenders for me are Guns and Roses

I went to see a support band back in I think 87. Stayed for the main band, vaguely remember the guitarist with a top hat - lasted 3 songs - later realized who it was

terrible, just terrible

TheletterJ and hellopike like this.

8. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2011
    Somerset UK
    It's a bit late to get into this thread, but I will.
    I absolutely hate prog rock and for me the worst perpetrators have got to be Rush and Yes. A steaming pile of musical self aggrandizement with lyrics that bring new meaning to the word pretentious.
    I also hate Kiss because they're s*@t

9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Elvis Costello. Nope .. not really rock anyway

10. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    The Grateful Dead. Sure, I was once in a band that consisted of five guys on stage all playing different songs at the same time, but I was 16.

Boubou, Sjnoring and Uncle Bob like this.

11. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Yeah, I gotta agree with you on the Dolls. They never did it for me. At their best they sounded like a sloppier lesser Stones to me and I don't really like the Stones either (better check my six for forum members with their Micawber modded Teles leveled at my head ready to knock me cold! )
    I guess those critics have a right to their opinion; it is after all a subjective matter, but I always have to laugh (perhaps a bit ruefully) at Gatekeepers and puritans appointing themselves arbiters of an ostensibly iconoclastic and anarchic form. If Punk is about "no rules," then why are there seemingly so many criteria?
    IMO, I think what the "bubblegum with distortion" naysayers may be missing is the context in which the Ramones delivered those arch little salvos of twisted adrenalized pop. ELP was the biggest band in the world. They toured with an orchestra and played album-side length suites with mystical, arcane, straight-faced lyrics and the members took long virtuosic solos.
    In the face of that kind of earnest bombast and ostentatious technical aptitude what's *more* Punk than a funny, catchy anthem extolling the virtues of huffing Carbona over sniffing glue blasted at reckless speed through Marshall stacks and clocking in at around a minute and a half?

12. srx700xxx

srx700xxx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I'll flip the dial when the likes of The Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Mettalica, Joe Cocker, and Bruce Springsteen come on. For some odd reason, I get the impression that Cocker and Springsteen recorded all their music while on the toilet. Sounds painful, hope they wiped!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    TheletterJ likes this.

13. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA

14. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Guns n Roses
    Metallica
    Slipknot (my GF's fave band)

I could go on with more post 70s heavy rock and metal bands.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Mars Volta... bleeccch.

16. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    I saw the mars volta live and they blew me away.
    I picked up a couple of their records and wondered what was it that impressed me so much. I kinda went from fanboy to meh pretty quick.

17. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    The Stones. - apart from the intro to gimme shelter.
    The Who.
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
    Foo Fighters.

Ok - eddie.

18. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    No disrespect to the recently departed, but Steely Dan bores me to tears. Not that they are a rock band, but they certainly get played on Classic Rock radio. The one song I like is FM.

Anode100 and grooveiron like this.

19. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    I'm going to hazard a guess that you know a very limited range of Primal Scream's catalog. Nobody could argue your point about Bobby singing out of tune, but they really run the gamut stylistically: from twee c-86 jangle, to feedback laden drone rock, to acid house, to their Stonesy riff phase to the circuit-bent skronk of XTRMNTR.

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I could list tons of people, but what's the point? :cool:

moosie and drf64 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.