Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Very true - esp. the second one. Dr May's favourite I think.

dlew919 likes this.

2. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    It's not an unreasonable statement, but I disagree. It's sort of like saying grunge wouldn't have happened if nirvana hadn't come around, when there were enough cans of musical gas laying around for SOMEONE to light the fire.

I like the idea of an artistic version of "patient zero", but it's rarely that simple and isolated.

As already pointed out, all the precursors were in existence, the MC5, the Stooges, Blue Cheer, Velvet Underground etc... and even then, you can still go earlier, the Kinks, Link Ray ab absurdism. SOMEONE was going to pick up the ball, too many people were ready for the next thing.

More importantly, the ones whom came after, very few followed the same blueprint... each took varying amounts from the Ramones as well as the others mentioned.

Minimalist518 likes this.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Part of the point of punk was that you didn't follow blueprints. This explains why artists like talking heads, blondie and patti smith wee considered punk initially.

Lone Picker and Minimalist518 like this.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Queen 2 is about my favourite album.

RoyBGood likes this.

5. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free + Supporter

Jul 12, 2005
    east of East St Louis

6. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA
    I like almost all types of music and bands, but for some reason I just can't get into Dave Matthews Band or Jimmy Buffett at all. I think Daves band is excellent, but just don't like the songs.

7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    .UK
    Mostly AOR rock stuff from the late 70s and 80s. 80s glam and poodle haired rockers. Pink Floyd post Syd. Led Zep after III. Rush, Yes, Aerosmith, Kiss, The Stones after Exile on Main St. Quite a few more, but can't think of ten right now lol.

8. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    John Mayer
    U2
    Bon Iver
    Pearl Jam
    Rush

9. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Supertramp....And I'll get hate mail over this one but, Grateful Dead never did much for me at all...maybe 3 of their songs are listenable to me,otherwise, nah.
    I could probably go on for a while but these are just two off the top of my head. ..

10. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I never got the Dead either. Must be a had to be there thing.

3-Chord-Genius and Minimalist518 like this.

11. nadnitram

nadnitram TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2012
    North Canton, Ohio
    I don't like The Beatles. I respect how they changed everything, but I won't listen to them.
    I don't like the vocals for Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Guns'N'Roses, Rush, AC~DC.
    I used to love, but burned out on, CCR and The Doors.

12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    KISS.
    Steely Dan
    KISS again because Gene is an a**-hat.

dlew919 likes this.

13. Gmountain

Gmountain TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    Pretty much any metal band. I like a Zeppelin song here and there, or one album by The Who (Tommy) or one album by Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon) or a couple songs by Van Halen, but that's about it.

14. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Well, I did say the Ramones and their cohort, meaning all the CBGB’s bands.
    But I do agree that yours is totally a fair and suportable statement. In my (somewhat feeble) defense, I was answering a post where the Ramones were defined as not “true Punk,” whatever that means since it suggests the authority of some governing standard in an anti-authoritarian form. In answering that, I may have overstated my case in advocating for the primacy of the Ramones.
    With all the bands you list plus the economic and social conditions of the time, not only were there plenty of cans of musical gasoline, these were stored among oxegyn canisters next to open burn-barrels. Punk *would* have happened one way or another; definitely!
    But I also think Punk’s eventual *percieved* form by the general public, not the view of the actual bands and fans, and the resultant diminuation to the post-Green Day, reletively “safe” formula/fashion it has become (in the mainstream, that is, not grass-roots punk revivals on a local, underground level – that still exists to a degree) would’ve been different sans Ramones.
    I know it is reductive, and as you correctly point out, very few Punk bands followed the same blueprint after 76/77, but if you ask someone not into Punk, or with only a passing familiarity with it, what Punk sounds like they are more likely than not to describe it as fast and loud with short songs and no solos. At least that’s the case in the US. It might be different in the UK where people might see the pre-fab shock-rock NY Dolls swagger of the Sex Pistols as the sound of Punk; but it’s not that markedly different from the Ramones except in terms of how tightly the sound and energy are focussed (and let’s face it, which band was a real, organicaly formed band as oposed to a would-be Svengali’s [bad] Boy Band.)
    That said, I’m not at all sure what relevance if any this has. If Punk is “who cares about the mainstream,” what has mainstream perception of Punk got to do with Punk? Really, I just love the Ramones, they're important to me and, like any fan of anything ever, I wanna argue why they should be important to everyone!

Pixies2005 likes this.

15. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I don't care for Bon Iver either, the more so because no one seems to pronounce the name how it's spelled. It looks like "Bon EYE-ver" to me, not "Bon-ih-ver" equally stressed.
    For six months or so I thought it was a solo artist and I kept grousing, "Who's this Bonny-Bear guy and what's so great about him?"
    Bearded hipsters making mopey, boring music IMO. Meh.

Teddyjack likes this.

16. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Holic

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Hmm there is not much music that I truly hate.
    Lots of stuff that I do not listen to, I do have a broad taste, if it has some substance I am happy!

Don't hear much guitardriven music as it is these days!
    Plus I never really liked learning solos and stuff like that, the tune was more it for me.

Anyways I grew up in the 70's/80's.... deep down I never liked the spandex ridden pointy guitar thing, the more grounded rock bands where more to my likings.
    Most of the stuff had some silly lyrics as well, childish inept stuff that grated my mind!

I liked Bowie, Eurythmics, Zappa, Jeff Beck, ELO, Pink Floyd and stuff like that....
    Never got much into the overly prog side, nor the Bostons, Doors, Journeys, Supertramps and so on!

The 90's had some good things, but the whole grunge thing never really got me, I really dislike Nirvarna, GNR and alikes...
    Most of it had that fake retro stigma to it!

Music today is getting more diverse again(well not the mainstream stuff as usual), dunno why it ever was so important to divide music into genres.... well the ever old thing with money...

And I still like music that is alittle beside the norm.

17. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Here's one I forgot earlier.

Primal Scream. Second-rate Stones rip-off act made up of talentless dullards and an out-of-tune, uncharismatic lead singer.

18. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Major label superstars The Sex Pistols were about as punk as Celine Dion. You've never heard of the world's greatest punk band.

Me and two other guys from the meat packing plant decided to form a band. I wrote some sociopolitically charged lyrics and simple but energetic riffs, brought my no name LP copy with a dead pickup (although I didn't know enough about guitars to know it), and we played my "songs" for a few hours with no rehearsal or second takes. And that was it. We taped it (you really did tape things in the '80s), and response from listeners was uniformly positive. Then the tape fell apart (that happened a lot in the 80s too) so all traces of this mercurial punk band that burned out too fast are gone. Dietrich Offal, Pelvis Toxic, and Bogus Fracture, The Ambassadors of Discord. The greatest punk band ever.

19. CordovaNate

CordovaNate TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Memphis
    Bruce Springsteen.
    Most, maybe all, of the 80's hair bands.
    Bob Dylan.
    All Metal bands.

20. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    That's nothing! Me and three other youths from the left-handed persons separatist commune we grew up in formed a band.
    Our flyers were printed on handmade paper with sustainably harvested squid ink, but this was tough because our shows were so spontaneous and underground that often we didn't know we were playing them!
    We mastered our album on wax cylinders with a porcupine quill, as you did in the 80s if you were *really* DIY. We played so fast that the entire album run time was shorter than each individual song.
    We argued bitterly over the color vinyl for the pressing and the packaging. We finally settled on clear vinyl and a blank sleeve because who were we to impose an image on the listener. We never pressed any because in discussion on how many in the limited, hand numbered run, we decided on zero.
    We broke up after two weeks and twelve dozen shows for disagreements over political purity.
    Unfortunately, the drummer's mother mistook the wax cylinders for scented candles and burned them all. Now collectors in the know pay top dollar to have the songs hummed to them by people who were at the shows.
    And that's the story of Reagan Colonoscopy, the greatest hardcore punk band you've probably never heard of!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.