Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    Radiohead
    Wilco
    Drive by truckers
    Steely Dan
    Grateful Dead
    Aerosmith
    Bowie

I'm sure there's plenty more.

2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
  3. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Yeah, I agree but am not taking it any further. I mentioned this last year in a thread on AGF and unleashed the gates of hell on myself.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    This thread's about "Bands you should like, but don't", and I guess nobody should like Nickelback :D

AAT65, Flakey and Uncle Bob like this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    INXS. Whiter than a polar bear in a blizza d during a white paint convention. Even Nile Rogers couldn't give them funk.

7. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I just thought of another one, that I really do think, every time I hear them, "it seems like I should like these guys, but I just don't."

[​IMG]

I love the song Draw The Line. I can tolerate a few others, but not a fan and I really hate ALL of their biggest hits.

8. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I'm definitely one of those of a certain age that thought I'd discovered fire when I first heard the Ramones in my teens, but I'm not gonna call on you to be stoned as a blasphemer. I get it. I don't think you *have* to love the Ramones to be a "real punk," I just think it helps! Kidding! (In all honesty, I was and am much more about the Clash.)
    I think you make a good argument and I don't think the Ramones would disagree that they were derivative to a degree; just look at all the cover songs They knew where they were coming from.
    I am curious about who you consider "true punk bands." In the words of Lina Richman, "Discuss."

9. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    I don't get all the nickleback hate.
    I'll go ahead and say it.
    They are a damn good band.
    I wish I was in a band that "sucked" as much as they supposedly do.

Vladimir likes this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    Hate implies caring but still

I think the complaint against them is more toward their songwriting. They're all derivative of each other, and the lyrics seem IMO to pander toward the drunk bro who wants to talk about poontang but hasn't had any since it had him, but again, IMO.

They're making money at it so it's a safe bet the band itself isn't bad.

richiek65 and gtrjunior like this.
  11. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    The Doors - Most overrated trainwreck of all time

Steely Dan - I hate them almost more than I like any other band. The fact that they named their band after a dildo seems appropriate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.