Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2011
    Paoli, IN
    Dave Matthews and Metallica are the first 2 that come to mind. They both have songs I like, but I don't understand why so many people love them. Also Coldplay, their mellowness is very bland to me.

And lastly, the Beatles and Bob Dylan. Now before you crucify me let me say that when I hear covers of both their songs I usually love them, so I don't think it's their songs. I guess I'm just not a fan of the way they deliver them. When I was in college I took an elective "pop ensemble" class where we performed the entire sergeant pepper album. It was a blast, I loved every minute of it.

Much respect to both, but Mr Dylan and the fab four just don't do it for me.

DonM likes this.
  2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I think you meant unintelligible. There is room in my philosophy for unintelligible screeches and mind-numbingly distorted power chords. In moderation, of course.

3. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Ha! That would be me. I like a couple of Jam songs though - Bitterest Pill and That's Entertainment for example.

On the Smiths though, I remember hearing This Charming Man for the first time in 1983 when it seemed like a breath of fresh air amongst all the plastic sounding pop that was around. I loved Marr's jangly guitar and melodies whilst Morrissey's lyrical themes of social anxiety and loneliness resonated with this spotty, awkward teenager. Marr made it cool to be a guitar hero at a time when they were decidedly uncool. No rock posturing, no sweatbands, just craftsmanship and style.

middy likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well, I like The Jam but I can't stand what Paul Weller has done since, and I can't explain why: you would think I'd like his later sincere guitar-based stuff but I cannot listen to him.

The Smiths... I like them more than I used to, but they are still best summed up by what a guitar-playing friend of mine said long ago: "Johnny Matt sets up a nice intro, the rhythm section gets it moving, and then Morrissey comes in and ruins it all..."

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Iron Maiden - while I liked metal, they sounded just so sterile compared to almost every UK metal band of the time. You can tell the bass player writes the music. The only album I liked was "Killers", but that was with the old singer, Paul Di'Anno.

U2 - They started out as a gutsy, Irish punk band with good riffs and lyrics. Then, with "Joshua Tree", they turned in to the most annoying, pompous and talentless rock stars to ever walk the stage.

7. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Ramones (ducking); can't stand Joey Ramone; worst singer of any genre - ever.
    Rush
    Journey
    U2
    Kansas
    Yes

atomfissure likes this.
  8. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2012
    Berlin
    Totally! That sums them up.

Others:
    Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Dave Matthews,...but the one that really puzzles me is Jeff Beck...he seems like the anti-matter Johnny Marr.
    Of course I love everything Marr and the Smiths.

9. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

It's OK not to like them, but there's nothing lame and boring about Who's Next.

10. Crashbelt

Crashbelt TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    I'll do it by genres

Led Zeppelin Deep Purple Black Sabbath etc
    Doors Grateful Dead Jefferson Airplane etc
    Smiths Cult Cure Fall etc
    Yes Genesis ELP etc
    all poodle haired 80s rock bands
    all metal
    all rap etc

11. Rock-Ola

Rock-Ola Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2009
    Hellsinkin', Finland
    Muppets Getting Tattoos With Gardening Implements were great before they sold out and went mainstream.

My list: Neil Young. Then there's a large gap, after which come Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Guns'n'Roses, Nirvana. I quite like Pink Floyd and The Who though...

12. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I’ve given this some serious thought since I first read this thread. My initial response would have been bands like the Grateful Dead, Phish or DMB, but those really aren’t acts I would even like on paper; it’s an entire genre of music that doesn’t speak to me at all and if I understand correctly, the original topic concerns itself not with music I don’t get at all, but with music I feel I *should* get.
    I think I am on the same page as the OP in clarifying “should” is not used here in the sense of being *obliged* to like it in some way but, rather, “should” like it on paper. In other words, looking at the overall properties of the music of act A, and considering one’s own musical proclivities, and the stylistic similarities of acts B, C and D to A, one *should* like act A...but doesn't.
    Terms of argument duly established, the act I should like but don’t is Jimi Hendrix.
    Every five years or so I figure I’ll get it. So every five years or so I pull out a Hendrix album and I’m still “meh.” I like certain songs in isolation, but overall, he doesn’t do it for me.
    I can’t put my finger on what it is. It’s not his playing; it’s undeniable. Ultimately, it may be that he’s kind of frozen in amber. Because he was cut off short, he remains completely and utterly of his era. And it's not my era. He died before he could move very far from that trippy voodoo space hippy trip. I don’t really care for the hippy trip, space or otherwise. I’m an old punker.
    I wonder what would have happened once he shed the hippie trappings and, remaining an iconoclast on his instrument, came up against Punk. Those would be some interesting sparks! Maybe if that had happened I’d get it.

13. Georox

Georox Tele-Holic

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Wow, ten pages of hate just like that.

14. scottser

scottser Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    i hate pretty much everything released after 1990.

15. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Meister

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I dislike just about all punk rock so: The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Green Day, The Dead Kennedy's, The Descendents, etc.

Honorable (?) non-punk mention: U2, Coldplay

16. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Up here in Canada... the tragically hip. Just never could like em.

17. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    Right, his song writing is awesome, but the FF just seem over produced - their music would be awesome with a 3 piece trio.... simpler instrumentation.
    There's a lot of gold in YM and JS recordings, its best to be selective and skip over the stuff that is just bound to produce ear fatigue. I think thar is true of all the great players that are not in a situation for a band or producer to tell them "no". What gets me is endless repetitive phrases in pieces.... yikes, don't just play a whole song of two repeated phrase bits and a solo, that's just poor composition imo.

8barlouie likes this.
  18. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    Essex, UK
    OK so:

Bob Dylan - mumbly old man even when he was young

Iron Maiden - long and boring songs, BD is dreadful singer imo

Bruce Springsteen - don't get it

Simple Minds - yawn

ZZ Top - what's the deal here? They seem to be successful because they have very long beards and furry guitars.

Ed Sheeran - dreadful songs

Santana - boring

Steel Panther - give it up already

The Darkness - jeezuz

Coldplay - yawn

Blink 182 - god that was awful.

middy likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I can almost listen to the Dee Dee Ramone vocals, but otherwise my explanation was, some folks my age and younger thought they had just discovered fire - when it had already existed. True punk bands did their thing better than the Ramones could and the simplistic Kinks style 3 chord stuff had existed for almost 15 years aforehand. But the typical Ramones fan was oblivious to the world outside their own.

This is why I don't like "Columbus Day". The Native Americans were already living here - it is insulting to suggest they lived there but just didn't know they did. Or that they did not exist Or something.

Try explaining this to the typical Ramones fan. They think the world began the day they finally awoke from their youthful slumbers.

And Joey wasn't even a nice, generous or decent guy. I don't understand.

See, normally, when you feel indifferent towards a band, the fans and the players in that band appreciate that not everybody is moved the same way by the songs the perform or listen to. But, The Ramones is different - it is 100% allegiance or you're a bum. There's other bands out there that are a little overrated but the fans are relaxed and never troubled when you're response doesn't match theirs. Lo, and Deep Shame on the wretch who doesn't beam ecstatic about The Ramones.

+

Georox is right. This has the makings of a pretty ugly thread. I won't mind if it goes away.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    DonM likes this.
  20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

So essentially anyone from Minnesota. Might want to add Prince to that. I wonder if it has anything to do with regional sensibilities? This could be an indictment on Norwegians since so many of came to Minnesota so I'm sure they contributed to the overall culture to the region. :twisted:;). I'm teasing of course. I liked the Mats but I've never understood why the critics adored them.
    It's just simple South Mpls. garage rock to drink Cold Spring beer to in the late 70s-early 80s. Still is. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  21. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

All this this dislike and no one has mentioned Nickleback? Perhaps they are more loved than otherwise suggested! But best not say anything, lest we might loose hipster musician cred.?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.