Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Acclaimed Rock Bands you should like, but for some reason just don't-

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hellopike, Apr 13, 2017.

1. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    List time! This is just out of curiosity, but Can we get a thread going (without judgement) of rock and roll bands/performers that on paper you should like, but in practice you don't like. And I don't mean bands you're indifferent to, I mean that you really just do not like.

I'll start: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band.

I love classic rock; I love baritone singers, I'm literally a blue-collar factory worker from the Delaware Valley; and I play a Telecaster. You'd think Bruce would be right up my alley, but nope. I can't do it. I can get about 2 measures into 'born in the USA' before I change the radio station. The only song of theirs I can think of that I can really listen to is 'Rosalita'. My wife tells me it is because Bruce Springsteen's music is heavily based on nostalgia and some sort of shared experience that people can relate to... and that I just don't. Now I admit that I am young, and not of the generation that they are a part of, but like I said I thoroughly enjoy other bands of that time.

So what's the band you should really like, but just don't?

2. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    The Who, The Doors, BB King, Phish, Parliament Funkadelic are all bands that I don't really understand why I don't like them. I like lots of similar bands of the same level and genre, but not those particular bands.

kuvash likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    (ducking) The Beatles.

I just don't get into them. Sure, there are a few songs of theirs I like, but overall - nope.

Although, for me, it is mostly my distaste for John Lennon. Legend or not, he's just not my thing.

(still ducking to avoid things thrown at my head...)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    REM, Flaming Lips, Radiohead after Ok Computer.... there's so many bands that are so worshipped but I don't get it.

kunos and kuvash like this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Although it probably comes from OD'ing on the first three albums back in the day (so I was definitely a fan then), I can't stand Led Zep anymore.

JMHO and I know that opinion doesn't fit into my usually open-minded and broad musical taste. So I generally don't go around dissing them - but you asked...

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Impossible!

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac

NEPATelecaster likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I guess I'll bite:

The Who
    Umphrey's Mcgee
    Any 'Bro' reggae bands after Bradley's death in Sublime

Otherwise, mind is O P E N

kuvash likes this.
  10. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    There are lots of big-time bands that I don't get. For example, I'm not a fan of the Beatles - and @unixfish yeah you do kind of have to duck when you say it! But I don't really feel like I should be.

For me it's Wilco. I feel like everyone who listens to what I listen to likes Wilco. But I listen and I just can't seem to find anything to sink my teeth into.

NEPATelecaster and kuvash like this.
  11. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    The Who, Radiohead, Guns n Roses, Humble Pie, Springsteen, Grand Funk Railroad, Clapton, Smashing Pumpkins, among others.

kuvash likes this.
  12. Chooglin59

Chooglin59 Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2014
    On da Bayou
    Another Who vote...just never got it.
    Never got into the Beatles much either.
    Crosby, Stills and Nash...eck (if that's even classified as rock)

13. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I like most classic rock from the 60s and 70s, but I just can't get into Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Boston, or Foreigner. They all just make me yawn.

14. Boil

Boil TDPRI Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Vernon B.C.
    At the risk of being booted off the site Stevie Ray Vaughan, that sound just grates on my nerves.

Flakey, Anode100, Pixies2005 and 4 others like this.
  15. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Another one for me- Rival Sons. I even hate that I'm saying that, that's how frustrated I am that I feel this way. They are the real deal and there's just something that gets in the way for me.

I LOVE half of Rival Son's music- but I swear, it's like I love 2 minutes of every single song, and kind of don't like the remaining 90 seconds. And it's like that for almost every song. Jay Buchanan is a BEAST, the guy gives me goosebumps listening to him sing- but I almost never enjoy the actual lyrics he's singing. The individual song parts are kick@$$ but they never seem to go together quite right for me and I get ever-so-slightly knocked out of the groove.

They absolutely SHOULD be my all-time favorite band ever, and yet I find myself scrolling past them when I'm putting on music. Damn.

16. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Most of the ones mentioned si far with the exceptions of Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin.

To add to the list, RUSH, good grief, they bore me to tears.

17. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Meister

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Pink Floyd, Queen, Zeppelin, The Who, Guess Who (Randy Bachman?), The Clash...I'm sure there's more...

kuvash likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Styx, U2,
    Metallica, Air Supply, Supertramp, REO Speedwagon, Bon Jovi, Lou Reed, Rush, Foreigner, and Robert Plant (solo) leap to mind.
    They all did just fine without me and my help!

aerhed and kuvash like this.
  19. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Pink Floyd, the Who, Kansas, Jethro Tull. Just don't really get into them. I will now duck from thrown objects.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I always found Steely Dan to have an offputting vibe myself. Lately I appreciate parts of a few songs - mainly the guitar, but for the most part never could get into it.

I'll add Paul Simon as my contribution. Haven't liked anything he did without Art Garfunkel. I remember when Graceland came out - all my friends were like "This is awesome"; I was like "I don't get it."

For all you guys saying Foreigner; there's plenty of reason not to like them. Pick any song and listen to the lyrics. It's like they were all written by a 13 year old pre-pubescent boy.

"That's why, I'm hot blooded, check it and see
    I feel a fever burning inside me
    Come on baby, do you do more than dance?
    I'm hot blooded, I'm hot blooded (I'm hot)"

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  21. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2017
    NE Indiana
    I achieved Pink Floyd burnout at some point in my late 20's...
    Bad Company, Aerosmith, Rush... Love big guitars and all, but some stuff, I don't know.
    A lot of bands I initially liked, ... Foreigner, Styx, REO, ... it seems like a couple albums in, and they just started writing fluff-bombs. Got kind of "poofy", and I totally lost interest.
    Never EVER got into any of the prog rock... Yes, Jethro Tull, anything with Phil Collins, ... Probably a pretty long list, lol.

Pixies2005, brookdalebill and middy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.