Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acclaimed guitarists you don't get

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by skantzos, Sep 25, 2017.

1. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    OMG!!! Excuse me while i go throw up. This thread is making me sick

t guitar floyd likes this.

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Joe Satriani- not every note has to be a hemi-demi-semi quaver.

stringslinger likes this.

3. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I'll check it out, thanks

t guitar floyd likes this.

4. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    I can't stand blues somehow. I can listen coupla songs but it gets so boring, same chord progression over and over. Mb I am too happy. Blues Lyrics are ok sometimes. Like more rocabilly, surf or jazz ( went to see George Benson- what a pleasure!). Funk is ok too, Nile Rodgers stuff. Mb I am just a "wrong" guitarist.

brookdalebill likes this.

5. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado

6. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I'll throw out Tal Farlow. I enjoy listening to him. In fact, I think my car does too. Every third of fourth random song it goes and plays one of his (or Tom Jones). He's someone someone who plays in a way that I just don't get. Maybe if I started playing jazz in my teens I would have made sense of it!

Back when he started doing what he does many people didn't get it. Ever since there have been many a jazz guitarist that does something similar, with their own touch of course.

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Jeez. I don't even know where I'd start. Sort of uncool anyway, in my opinion, to slag on guys for the simple fact that they don't appeal to insignificant old me.

I'll say that most acts where the guitar is the main attraction bore me.

8. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    I haven't read through the thread, but since OP also mentioned John McLaughlin, I will just add some color and a suggestion. I myself am very into fusion from the 70's etc... and I absolutely despise McLaughlin's electric guitar tones... lol. BUT, I love him as a player... on ACOUSTIC. And though I enjoy Paco/DiMeola/McLaughlin, you don't get a true sense of McLaughlin without listening to "My Goal's Beyond". He really made my jaw drop with that album, and at one point I couldn't get enough of it. So my suggestion is listen to "My Goal's beyond" if you have not and then report back with your thoughts... lol

TeleTex82 likes this.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

What about Shakti? (me: big fanboi)

John E likes this.

10. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sure BigDaddy love the Shakti, but I figured for just pure unadulterated acoustic playing and tone (well for the most part anyway) that My Goal's Beyond was about as pure a suggestion as you could find.

BigDaddyLH likes this.

11. skantzos

skantzos TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Greece
    sorry for the delayed reply, missed the thread for a couple of days. Al sounds like he is trying too hard. I have even watched instructional bits by him, he sounds and looks stiff and sterile. Now if i was a bad guy i d think he is trying too hard to impress...

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Consider his album covers on "Kiss My Axe" and "Flesh on Flesh".

13. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

Easiest high-paying job in the world?
    Bass player for U2
    (that's you, Adam)

Second easiest high-paying job in the world?
    Drummer for U2
    (uh, Larry?)

Oh, wait. This thread is about slagging guitarists.

OK, I don't like Henry Kaiser. But, I am not sure he can be called a guitarist.

Now, I'm just being a jerk...

Reggie77 likes this.

14. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

Is that really a thing? I am too lazy to Google it...

15. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    In the Telesphere
    It may be sacrilege in some quarters, but... B.B. King just doesn't float my boat. Part of me wonders was it because he became something of a parody of what a Blues singer should be? Like a 'Stage Oirish' actor, conforming to what everybody expects them to be, or something similar. And all that mouth twisting, facial contortion crack he used to go on with.

Muddy Waters and Elmore James are much more in keeping with my Blues preferences.

jazzman1021 likes this.

16. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

Good point: I guess we need an authoritative definition for "acclaimed".

17. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Lindsey Buckingham - not saying he's not good, just that I don't get it. Of course, I feel the same about that gal with the billy goat vibrato that sang with him back in the day too. The one with the guy's name :rolleyes:. I really don't know why.

Telesphere likes this.

18. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    In the Telesphere
    The Billy goat vibrato - hahahahaha! Beautifully put. Stevie Nicks is the name.

It's a totally different topic & thread, but has any band ever had such divergent identities and styles as Fleetwood Mac? First there was what was known as Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, playing real gutsy Blues, and then the abhorrent middle of the road pop rock.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Chicago Matt likes this.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Let's condense this thread down to a single phrase:
    My opinion is correct and yours is wroooooong!
    [​IMG]
    Isn't there a nice poly vs. nitro thread we could be in instead?

viccortes285 and Chicago Matt like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.